Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 131 - June 11th

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

How that wasnt stopped I dont know, look at the state of his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

DeVore wrote: »
    That should have been stopped IMHO..

DeV.
    thanks for being honest with us

"should i blow my nose?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Fair play to Carwin for sticking it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

30-27 Carwin Unanimous Decision going by previous Judging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Well thats it for me,my bed is calling!

Im surprised only one judge scored a 10-8 round. Theres no way that 2nd round was 10-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Some horrible decisions tonight but I don't understand the uproar over Munoz winning. Maia won the first and Munoz the second, third I would just give to Munoz as he controlled him against the cage and had two 'half' takedowns. Apart from Maia out grappling him on the ground for a minute he didn't do anything else.

JDS is an animal, his takedown defence was very impressive against a solid wrestler.

Denners.ie wrote: »
    Some horrible decisions tonight but I don't understand the uproar over Munoz winning. Maia won the first and Munoz the second, third I would just give to Munoz as he controlled him against the cage and had two 'half' takedowns. Apart from Maia out grappling him on the ground for a minute he didn't do anything else.

JDS is an animal, his takedown defence was very impressive against a solid wrestler.

I had it 29-28 to Maia wit him losing the 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

If the judges were any good, this would be the best UFC in ages...

Omigawa was robbed.
    I thought the Beltran fight was stopped a bit early tbh.
    Young should've been given the decision.
    I was disappointed with how soon the tapout came in the Nick Ring fight.
    Sozsynski dominated a Middleweight, can't comment really.
    Nice KO by Stout.
    Was disappointed that the Cerrone fight didn't go to the ground. Cerrone dominated.
    I thought the Einemo fight was stopped early too. Seemed like Einemo was still defending/working his way out of the position.
    I thought Maia won, who the f*ck could give the first round to Munoz? He deserves to be shot.. The last round should've been a draw or given to Maia.
    Again, what judge gave the first round to Florian? I had it 29-28 Florian, but how could anyone give him 30-27?
    Only one judge got the score right in JDS' fight. 30-26, could've even been 30-25, why are judges so afraid of giving 10-8 rounds?

The night was ruined by judges/early stoppages imo..

• Advertisement

Denners.ie wrote: »

I had Maia controlling him on the cage? Outgrappling him on the ground? And beating him in the stand up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Had a 8 fight accumulator, all came up bar Maia, i had Maia in 1 and 3, the sub should of won the 3rd, i could prob accept the loss but 30-27 is a joke
    To be honest, one of the few fights that had a case to be a draw,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Personally thought Munoz or a draw was right, no way Maia won, he got the first, lost the second and the third was very tight but just Munoz for me, i had Munoz in my win bet so i was happy but shocked with the 30-27!
    JDS was awesome, great boxing, good takedowns and good takedown defence.
    Stouts ko was supreme.
    Liked the Einemo/Herman fight, Herman struggled to the win for me, i was expecting a loss when he got clocked.
    Disappointed with Cerrone not going for it as i had him backed on submission with Herman ko.

Going to re watch the Maia fight later with out my betting on maia / fan boy glasses on. I really thought he took the third by an edge but a draw would have been a fair result. I think I'm more annoyed that one judge scored it 30-27.

Also LOL at the Asian conspiracy in MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

IMO when fighters lay on their backs like Rocha did last night it should be a point deduction. He made a few feeble attempts at pulling Cerrone down but seemed far too happy to just lay on his back. Was disappointed with Poirier but thought Young looked well in his debut and has a future ahead of him. Can't really see Ken Flo being any real threat to Aldo but would still like to see the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just watched the end of the fight a few times there was JDS about to tap there?????, watch the replay after the fight. Looks like his hand was coming up to tap :eek:

Nothing said at all about it in the commentary. Could be just how it looks in the slow mo replay because you can't hear the bell in it and the fight finished from the other angle so couldn't be seen when the bell went.

Ariel Helwani asked him post fight he said he wasn't close to tapping, thought it looked like it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

i thought that was a great card, the 3 prelims i seen on tv were great too

JDS is class, i think he will take cain. No way he was tappin, he was bringing his hands up, lookin at the ref as to say "the bell is gone, he hasn't released the choke"

I though Maia won the fight, his standup was quality. 30-27 is farcical, they need to sort out the judging. when i heard buffer say 30-27 i was sure maia had it after the first round. Though Maia won the third, didnt he nearly get him in a crucifix in the third

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

calex71 wrote: »
    Just watched the end of the fight a few times there was JDS about to tap there?????, watch the replay after the fight. Looks like his hand was coming up to tap :eek:

Nothing said at all about it in the commentary. Could be just how it looks in the slow mo replay because you can't hear the bell in it and the fight finished from the other angle so couldn't be seen when the bell went.

Yea I saw that too. Carwin had him in a guillotine just as the last few seconds ticked down, looked pretty tight too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I just finished watching it there. I thought it was a fairly good card considering all the changes due to injury. Some good fights on there.

JDS-Carwin was a great fight. Carwin has some heart. JDS is brilliant. Think he'll beat Cain too. Although I thought he was about to tap at the end too.
    The Sam Stout KO was a cracker!
    I have to say I gave it to Munoz. 30-27 was a joke though.
    Rocha was terrible. Cerrone should've finished him but seemed almost bored and wasn't putting effort in. Even though it was a win it was still a bad performance from him.

I think the judges need to be sorted out tbh. They could actually be a threat to the sport. Some of their decisions ruin cards and it means leaving it in the hands of the judges is unthinkable now. They seem incapable of making the correct decision a lot of the time.

Xlami wrote: »
    IMO when fighters lay on their backs like Rocha did last night it should be a point deduction. He made a few feeble attempts at pulling Cerrone down but seemed far too happy to just lay on his back.

I don't see why fighters aren't allowed stay on the ground if they want, they should be aloowed stay there imo. That is if people want to see the UFC being "As Real As It Gets". But when you have judges scoring a fight, you can't really get that..

I'd like to see a bit more of butt-scooting by the Jiu-Jitsu fighters. Wrestlers can hold people against the cage/on the mat without doing anything. I'd like to see fighters being allowed to butt-scoot for a little while before being stood up. Just like fighters are given a chance to 'improve their position' before the ref breaks them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

ScareGilly wrote: »
    I don't see why fighters aren't allowed stay on the ground if they want, they should be aloowed stay there imo. That is if people want to see the UFC being "As Real As It Gets". But when you have judges scoring a fight, you can't really get that..

I'd like to see a bit more of butt-scooting by the Jiu-Jitsu fighters. Wrestlers can hold people against the cage/on the mat without doing anything. I'd like to see fighters being allowed to butt-scoot for a little while before being stood up. Just like fighters are given a chance to 'improve their position' before the ref breaks them up.

I agree, can't see why the standing fighter should dictate where the fight takes place. There's plenty of jits guys who would be quite happy to have a stand up fighter attack them while they're on their backs and they should be allowed that option.

I also think Cain will have it all to do to halt Dos Santos run. Junior wins that match up imo

Fair play to Dana for that one. At least he's doing the decent thing. Now if only the reffing situation was sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

threeball wrote: »
    I agree, can't see why the standing fighter should dictate where the fight takes place. There's plenty of jits guys who would be quite happy to have a stand up fighter attack them while they're on their backs and they should be allowed that option.

In fairness, if that was allowed, they could simply sit down and not engage in any striking or standup grappling. It's embarassing enough to see people dragging themselves around like a sick dog in a sub wrestling match, never mind MMA.

Clive wrote: »
    In fairness, if that was allowed, they could simply sit down and not engage in any striking or standup grappling. It's embarassing enough to see people dragging themselves around like a sick dog in a sub wrestling match, never mind MMA.

Just like they could in a real fight? Isn't the UFC all about 'As Real As It Gets' ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Just like they could in a real fight? Isn't the UFC all about 'As Real As It Gets' ?

No, "As real as it gets" is just a marketing slogan. If someone did that in a real fight they'd get their face kicked in.

Clive wrote: »
    No, "As real as it gets" is just a marketing slogan. If someone did that in a real fight they'd get their face kicked in.

Bring back Pride Rules :rolleyes: Then let them do it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Thought it was a great show. Cowboy Cerrone was the worst fight, Rocha should be a FW by the looks of it. Thought the Mexicutioner was great in his fight, almost a UFC version of the Frye/Takayama fight. What a main event, and I too thought the judges were terrible. I can understand the Munoz decision being 29-28 in his favour as the 3rd was close, but how on earth 30-27 when Maia nearly KO's him in the first and beat him on the feet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

How come carwin couldn't blow his nose again?
    Rogan was saying something about his eyes swelling up if he did

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

yeah, if your nose is ****ed and you blow your nose, it will cause some major swelling

• Advertisement

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    How come carwin couldn't blow his nose again?
    Rogan was saying something about his eyes swelling up if he did

I think it's something like if you blow a bloody nose, it increases blood flow to that area, which in turn means any time you get hit it will swell a hell of a lot faster if I remember correctly...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think it has to do with airpressure to the area (sinuses) but im not a doctor. I have seen guys do it and the subsequent swelling was dire!

DeV.

This is why you dont blow your nose when its broke during a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

so its not muscle swelling, its simple air swelling, ugh

Advertisement