Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place to live in Melbourne

Options
  • 09-06-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm planning on making the move soon:D

Just wondering, what would be an ideal place for me to rent, as I will probably have to sign a 6 month lease minimum.

Basically I will be looking for work in most probably industrial estates, so I would need somewhere that would have good transport links to most of the city!

Also a nice place with a few nice bars etc. would be good!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Try get an apartment in the city. Possibly sharing. I'm in an apartment in the city centre and paying less than some people wanted for absolute dumps. Stay clear of st kilda in my opinion. Over priced. It will take some time but i believe you can get somewhere decent in the city for reasonable money.
    I'm the same. Casual work in warehouses. Handy for early starts as trains to almost anywhere once your in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Hard to say for sure. It all depends where you will be based. City would definitely be a good start but it can be expensive. You must have been lucky Slunk. Look in the surrounding area, abbotsford, carlton richmond (help me out here guys) these places are not far from the city. If you know where you will be based, you can always look along the trains lines. Public transport is pretty good here, IMO. So wherever you are you should be grand.
    Agree about st kilda. Can be pricey but it does have the beach and quite a few Irish if you're looking for that.

Slunk, you live in Finglas, where abouts? Left that place behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Richmond its got five train stations, seven tram lines, and it's walking distance from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Doc wrote: »
    Richmond its got five train stations, seven tram lines, and it's walking distance from the city centre.

+1 for Richmond. It's got a good mix of people too, not just pretenious posers and yuppies you get in some of surrounding areas.

Southbank or around CBD might be good option if you think you'll be working in different locations, you'll be close to central hub of transport there so can commute anywhere pretty easily.

It will take time but when i was looking the prices for shared apartments in the city was cheaper than places in St Kilda, Kew and Carlton. They wanted 380p/w for a double room for me and the gf in St Kilda and am now in a brand new apartment for 250p/w sharing with one other person. Looked at a place in southbank, brand new apartment and was 300p/w. If its just yourself it will probably be cheaper again for a single room. It can get a bit tiresome looking but you can find places.
    If your going for casual/ warehouse work being in or very close to the city will help you. Most agencies will give you prefernce if you have good transport links.I work a few stops away from the city on the train but sometimes dont get full weeks work so they can send me to another place the opposite side of the city. You'll have more opportunities for paying to live in the city.

@spunky - Used to live in Finglas west, near dunnes. Happy to say Ive left that place behind. In melbourne now nearly four months now :) Loving it, apart from the weather :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Thanks for the replies lads, I'll look into these places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Slunk was that near the Cappagh shopping centre?

I recall once going out on a big night I woke up in a strange room in a strange bed, bemused I looked out the window and a horse was eating the grass on the front lawn.

My first thought ...."Guess I'm in Finglas"

About five minutes up the road. Must have been a long long time ago. Hasn't been a shop there in years. All closeld apart from the pub which I've never been in. Not the nicest part of finglas :p

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Ha Ha, The cappagh house? No thanks.
    Im a Finglas East man...well Glasnevin. Bought a place up of Margarets Road. Not so many horses up there!!
    Zambia....could have been Tallaght!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Zambia....could have been Tallaght!

If I was in Tallaght the horse would have stole my car. :)

I recall The Dunnes in Cappagh that had the ability to cover the entire shopping and shopping centre out the front with steel shutters. No glass was ever shown after dark.

I used to look out the front and see a bloke on a horse in a field. I asked the bloke beside me what was your man doing.
    "He's selling drugs, what do you think he is doing??"

• Advertisement
Advertisement