If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a budget amp or sub

Options
  • 09-06-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can you tell me if a budget HD amp, new rears or a new sub will make the most difference to my set up?

I currently have a Sony 6.1 amp. It's got decent fronts (I upgraded these earlier this year) and mediocre rears that came with the amp.

I am looking to upgrade but not sure where to start. I am on a tight budget too.

(I posted elsewhere about this but I had no luck)

EDIT: I like the look of the sub and the speakers as rears in the adjacent thread... which would you recommend?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

silvine wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you tell me if a budget HD amp, new rears or a new sub will make the most difference to my set up?

I currently have a Sony 6.1 amp. It's got decent fronts (I upgraded these earlier this year) and mediocre rears that came with the amp.

I am looking to upgrade but not sure where to start. I am on a tight budget too.

(I posted elsewhere about this but I had no luck)

EDIT: I like the look of the sub and the speakers as rears in the adjacent thread... which would you recommend?

Silv,
    Any idea of the model numbers of your existing kit so I can make an informed judgement?

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Hi John. I have a Sony ht ddw890 with a powered sub. The centre is a q acoustics and the fronts are wharfdale modus cubes. The three rears and the sub came with the speaker. I watch hd content via a htpc.

That's a q accoustics 2000c and the amp
    Is three years old.

That's a q accoustics 2000c and the amp
    Is three years old.

Silvi,

not a bad amp so I would guess thats ok to start with and of course your Q centre is fine and we will live with the sub - but those wharfedales do have to be the 1st victim - even if you end up using them as rears in the 1st instance..

so a couple of options - if it was me and you fancied the Vector V10's I would try to get 2 pairs front / rear or alternatively if the budgets tight (and when is it not at the moment) I would go for one air and use the cubes on the rear as a temp measure - the Vectors are £79.95 a pair which is a super deal for a decent quality speaker.

The othe option of course is to go the whole hog and build the system properly, based around the Sony & your existing Q A Centre - so instead of going for the 2 pairs of vectors maybe try & stretch for the Q acoustic 2010 which is £109.95 and will radically improve your overall audio quality.

Anyway keep me posted and as ever drop me a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Was talking to store there. I will get back to you when buying. Thanks for info.

• Advertisement

EDIT: I've decided to start by replacing the fronts.

Does £109.95 for Q Acoustics include delivery to Kildare?

Can you also give me a price on a matching sub?

Finally, do you sell speaker stands for the Cubes and how much is 10m of cable?

Thanks.

EDIT: I've decided to start by replacing the fronts.

Does £109.95 for Q Acoustics include delivery to Kildare?

Can you also give me a price on a matching sub?

Finally, do you sell speaker stands for the Cubes and how much is 10m of cable?

Thanks.

Good decision!

The matching subwoofer is the Q Acosutics 2070 and it retails at £229.95 - the two together including 10 Metres of Cambridge Symphony 100 cable would cost just £348.90 including delivery.

The Cubes are now a finished line for us (many years ago) so we dont have stands - but you could use the Omni elo stands http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-stands-brackets/omnimount/elo/omni-elo-glas-std-bk at £39.95 - but at this price I would query the investment and make do and put the spends towards another good pair of rears.

Thanks again and keep me posted if you would like anything reserved or if we can assist in anyway - all the above kit is in stock and ready to ship today,

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Finally if

Hi John,

Can you quote me the Denon amp, a set of the Vector V10s and the Vector VW8 Subwoofer you have on special offer including delivery? Also does that Denon amp support audio in via HDMi?

Thanks.

Tis ok rang store

PM sent re purchase

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.