Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Still Care About Metal Hammer?

Options
  • 09-06-2011 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I was inspried by the 'Do You Stll Care About Kerrang' thread. I think this magazine got worse around 2006, when they began to feature more and more terrible bands. I noticed the recent edition has the new Eddie on the front which I can't stand. It also really really annoys me when they keep on putting WTF on the front cover or the back. I haven't bought this magazine in quite a few years now. I think the last straw for me was, when I seen 'Bring Me The Horizon' on the front cover.:mad: I don't get why they put them on the front when they hate them. It doesn't make any sence to me at all. I'm also very very annoyed at them for not featuring 'Night Eternal' by Moonspell, which is an incredible metal album back in 2008, and I also pissed off that they hardly ever do any features on Amorphis.:mad:

The forum is also awful. I only have about 188 posts on it, but it seems to me that you need at least a few thousand to be in any way respected. There is also quite a clique on that forum. So what are your opinions on this magazine/forum?

Do You Still Care About Metal Hammer? 17 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    Both the Forum And Magazine are Awful
    47% 8 votes
    It's Alright I Suppose
    29% 5 votes
    It Has it's Moments
    23% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It's alright. Not as shíte as Kerrang, but far from great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The forum is also awful. I only have about 188 posts on it, but it seems to me that you need at least a few thousand to be in any way respected. There is also quite a clique on that forum. So what are your opinions on this magazine/forum?

Hmmmmmm, that sounds like a challenge

Troll hat is on, i'm on me way ;)

How many posts before i get banned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Denny M wrote: »
    It's alright. Not as shíte as Kerrang, but far from great.

Thats true I suppose. Terrorizer is a much much better magazine, although sometimes that can also be very dissapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Issues are hit and miss I think, most are judged by the main cover, so if you see Slayer on there you know the issue is going to be a good one and if you see Bullet for my Valentine you'd probably leave it be.

I think there is, obviously, a lot more content and quality to chew over in Metal Hammer (compared to Kerrang or Terrorizer for example) and this is reflected in the price. For that reason it tends to be a purchase I make when I can both afford and justify spending a large chunk of money on a big magazine (that normally will be read over 2/4 sittings) and the large majority of which, contained within, is found online or at Blabbermouth.net before it hits shelves.

Also, I would tend to steer away from the free promotional CD/CDs or special covers they give with these magazines unless, again, there is something worth picking up other then the promotional tool. I remember, in recent times, I purchased Metal Hammer with Children of Bodom, Slayer, Alice In Chains and Metallica all on the front cover - but that more reflects my music taste then my choice for the magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's grand I guess, not amazing, nor do I care for it much, don't go out of my way to buy it and I haven't bought it for myself in years. Ultimately indifferent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I wouldn't wipe me ar$e with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

zero19 wrote: »

In an emergency, I assure you, you would;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

zero19 wrote: »

Again I would think that would depend who is on the front cover..............

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

As Motley mentioned, Blabbermouth is updated almost every hour with everything you need to know (and sleazeroxx.com to a lesser extent).

Plus, I cringe when Metal Hammer print the phrase 'horns up'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I haven't bought it in years. Used to be good but has got progressively worse over the years. I generally get news online from the likes of Blabbermouth(just don't read the comments!) and if i fancy a good read i'll buy Classic Rock magazine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

So what are your opinions on this magazine/forum?
    I have to say I've not read this too often. I would hold it in higher regard than Kerrang magazine but that's not too difficult. Next time I've a few minutes I'll flick through one in a newsagents. I've never gone near the forum, I'd imagine it's probably as fun as the Metal Ireland forum.
    it seems to me that you need at least a few thousand to be in any way respected.
    Sure it's the same here. Wait till you see the respect you get off people when you hit 10k ;).

Edit: I voted No on the poll as I can't still care about something that I didn't care about to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Malice wrote: »
    Sure it's the same here. Wait till you see the respect you get off people when you hit 10k ;)

Cool. I'm off to AH to go trolling and get my post count up so.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

In the bin with Kerrang! very few of the things that mattered 10-15 years still matter today.

Malice wrote: »
    Sure it's the same here. Wait till you see the respect you get off people when you hit 10k ;).

I still think that no one should be treated like dirt even if they only have a couple of hundred posts. It would take me about six or eight years, maybe even a decade to build up that many posts. There just isn't enough interesting topics per day or week to make that happen, and besides I only post on that forum when it suites me just to spite it.

I'm also sick hearing about Dream Theater, Mastodon, Airbourne, Lamb of God, Five Finger Death Punch etc. All those bands suck, and I hate them. The only album by Dream Theater that is any good is 'Images And Words'.

I hate the way they gave no coverage to Nokturnal Mortum's 'The Voice of Steel' album. That is simply one of the best syphonic black metal albums released since Emperors 'In The Nightside Eclipse' and 'Athems' albums and of course 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' by Dimmu Borgir. More than likely they won't give any coverage to Primordial or Demonaz either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Thats true I suppose. Terrorizer is a much much better magazine, although sometimes that can also be very dissapointing.

Isn't Terrorizer an almost exclusively extreme metal magazine? Metal Hammer seems do cover any band with a bit of distortion on their guitars.... MCR were on the cover like... (I'll be honest, they're my favourite band but WHATTHEFÚCK? )
    I hate the way they gave no coverage to Nokturnal Mortum's 'The Voice of Steel' album. That is simply one of the best syphonic black metal albums released since Emperors 'In The Nightside Eclipse' and 'Athems' albums and of course 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' by Dimmu Borgir. More than likely they won't give any coverage to Primordial or Demonaz either.

Haven't bought since a few issues after the 25 years of Reign in Blood issue, but do they not still have the extreme metal section at the back? That normally covered most big extreme releases.

Fad wrote: »
    Isn't Terrorizer an almost exclusively extreme metal magazine? Metal Hammer seems do cover any band with a bit of distortion on their guitars.... MCR were on the cover like... (I'll be honest, they're my favourite band but WHATTHEFÚCK? )

Haven't bought since a few issues after the 25 years of Reign in Blood issue, but do they not still have the extreme metal section at the back? That normally covered most big extreme releases.

They do, but it's only a small section.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I'm also sick hearing about Dream Theater, Mastodon, Airbourne, Lamb of God, Five Finger Death Punch etc. All those bands suck, and I hate them. The only album by Dream Theater that is any good is 'Images And Words'.

I remember when I had MY first beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ave Nocturna

It has its moments... It's certainly not as bad as Kerrang though.

Terrorizer is brilliant.

The problem with Metal Hammer is that, while it certainly has its moments, I just can't afford to fork out so much on it. Besides it's not really worth the price any more.

Edit to add: Never did go near the forum. I can only imagine...

Advertisement