Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Hard Drive Mod

Options
  • 09-06-2011 12:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hello lads,

What kind of hard drive do I need to get to use with the PS2? It's been months since I looked into it so I don't remember exactly.

Is it an ide or sata drive? 2.5" or 3.5"?

I think it's a 2.5" IDE but I'm not positive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Given the age of the PS2 I would guess 3.5" IDE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Will any 3.5" IDE drive do? I heard there's a lot of compatability issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

The above site will give you a list of drives that work and drives that don't work. Some of the drives listed have conflicting reviews, usually this is because of the reviewers inexperience.

Western Digital drives have been known not to fit the Network Adapter properly, unless either the drive or the adapter has been modified.

Taken from the site above........
    1. You will have to modify the network adapter a bit. Unscrew the bottom two screws so it allows you to bend the bottom tin protective peice (heat shield) back so the bottom connections are exposed. It will be neccessary to snip away of the tin that covers the two bottom connectors to make the modification possible. Use some tin snips or some real sharp scissors like I did.

2. Remove the two screws that connect the power connector to the rest of the netowrk adapter (4 holed jobbie to your left if you are looking at it).

3. When it is unscrewed you will be able to spread the power connector more to the left which will give you just enough room to plug the hard drive into the network adapter.

4. Once you know it fits, disconnect the hard drive from the network adapter and bend the tin that you bent back in the beggining back down if you want or just snip away all of the tin up to the IDE plug-in (the connector that is screwed down higher up on the network adapter) if you wish.

5. Reconnect the hard drive to the network adapter. Slide the hard drive in and screw the network adapter onto the back of the playstation.

That's about it. If I had to do it again it would take me 15 minutes, but took me about 45 minutes the first time as I kinda stumbled my way through it. I hope this helps those that need it. Contact me with questions.

Tutorial on how to do the Network Adapter mod ........

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=guide_westerndigital

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

5 years later and I am actually getting around to doing this now. :D One question, what's the easiest way to transfer files from your PC to the PS2 Harddrive? I do not want to start messing around with ribbons and that lark. I suppose the USB to IDE cable would be easiest then? Just connect one end to the HD and the other to the USB slot on the PC; suitable for people like me who are inclined to break things. :) Hopefully the transfer speed is OK. Will report back once I have all the parts for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

5 years later and I am actually getting around to doing this now. :D One question, what's the easiest way to transfer files from your PC to the PS2 Harddrive? I do not want to start messing around with ribbons and that lark. I suppose the USB to IDE cable would be easiest then? Just connect one end to the HD and the other to the USB slot on the PC; suitable for people like me who are inclined to break things. :) Hopefully the transfer speed is OK. Will report back once I have all the parts for this.

IDE to usb, try to get a usb 3.0 variant and you'll have zero trouble with transfer speeds.

Bought a Seagate 500GB compatible IDE drive off ebay. Tried formatting with HDLoader and got a fatal drive error. Connected the drive to my PC via IDE to USB and the bloody drive is emitting smoke and there is a strong smell. Drive is bollocksed then I guess. Is there a common reason for the smoking drive? Any idea what part is likely wrecked? Slightly annoyed as it means I will need to find and wait for another drive. :(

Update: The HDD is no longer starting up or recognised by the PS2; totally fcuked it seems. I checked the IDe to USB cable and one part of it seemed excessively hot. I'm not sure if the drive killed itself or the cable killed the drive. :mad:

Did Vince screw Bret or did Bret screw Bret?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Bought a Seagate 500GB compatible IDE drive off ebay. Tried formatting with HDLoader and got a fatal drive error. Connected the drive to my PC via IDE to USB and the bloody drive is emitting smoke and there is a strong smell. Drive is bollocksed then I guess. Is there a common reason for the smoking drive? Any idea what part is likely wrecked? Slightly annoyed as it means I will need to find and wait for another drive. :(

Update: The HDD is no longer starting up or recognised by the PS2; totally fcuked it seems. I checked the IDe to USB cable and one part of it seemed excessively hot. I'm not sure if the drive killed itself or the cable killed the drive. :mad:

If it was a cheapo IDE->USB adaptor then more than likely that's what killed it. I have a couple of fairly sketchy ones! Some of those cables don't have a blanked pin so you can connect the drive either orientation - not sure if that's the case with your one tho.

roast wrote: »
    If it was a cheapo IDE->USB adaptor then more than likely that's what killed it. I have a couple of fairly sketchy ones! Some of those cables don't have a blanked pin so you can connect the drive either orientation - not sure if that's the case with your one tho.

Contacted the seller and they think it was the power brick at fault so they are sending me a replacement part. Here's hoping it doesn't kill another drive - my 500GB IDE one is now dead. :(

I bought this adapter which is all over ebay. Should have spent a bit more and went for one on amazon. Hopefully it works next time I try.

$_57.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I got one of them off ebay and the power brick was dead. I just power it from my desktop psu, at least then you know it won't fry it.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Thats the very same adaptor I used for mine, pretty sure it killed one of my drives also.

When I transfer games over now I usually do them in big lots once connected. You can still get cheap drives in CEX btw.

Thanks pal. I will check CEX. I managed to get a 300GB drive off ebay for £15 including delivery; not bad.

Advertisement