Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Lessons Jobseekers Allowence

Options
  • 09-06-2011 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there,

I am looking to get my full driving licence as it would open up allot more job opportunites.

I'v heard that the social welfare office can help you pay for driving lessons as they are very expensive.

Can anyone clarify?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

New one on me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I think that at one time ( perhaps they still do ? ) the government did help unemployed people with some of the expenses associated with obtaining Class C licences ( trucks , etc ).
    Have to say that I have never heard of them helping with the costs of getting an ordinary driving licence.
    I don't think this assistance for truck licences was paid by Social Welfare , some other Dept. did it - hope I'm not imagining the whole thing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭upinthesky

i think it might be if your on fas or something not sure please let me know if you find out iv failed 3 times when i was working and just cant afford to do it now im unemployed im driving 8 years with 100% on claims bonus joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

kenny10033 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am looking to get my full driving licence as it would open up allot more job opportunites.

I'v heard that the social welfare office can help you pay for driving lessons as they are very expensive.

Can anyone clarify?

If you meet the qualifying conditions and are accepted for the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance Self-Employed scheme
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/btw_eall.aspx
    or the Back To Work Short Term Enterprise Allowance (Self-Employed) scheme
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:9n2zO5cjw3EJ:www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/btw_stea.aspx+jobseekers+and+driving+lessons&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&source=www.google.ie
    some specified financial assistance for driving lessons leading to driving test is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kenny10033

Thanks a million @Balagan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I get the enterprise allowance at the moment. They will give you a grant upto €1200/75% of your total start-up expenses. Of which they pay a maximum of €350 for driving lessons or 75% of the total cost of them. You must pay 25% of everything out of your own pocket. I've not claimed any of the grant yet but it's there. I'm going to go on a nice holiday this winter, maybe somewhere hot.

To summarise;
    If you're on Jobseekers unfortunately you'll get f*ck all.

Unlucky!

Advertisement