Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FINANCE WITH COMPUB FOR MBP

Options
  • 09-06-2011 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

hey i'm currently saving for a 15" macbook pro 2.2ghz i7, as i'm a student moneys tight but i'm just wonder has anyone got finance from compub and if so can you pay it back well in advance of the finance due to finish aka 12 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

You can pay it back early, sure. But I know someone who got it and has had an unbelievably horrific experience with them. CompuB help you set the deal up, but it's some other company who control the direct debit, etc.

I've heard many a horror story about them debiting terribly large, random amounts of money from people. I've never heard a good experience. Having said that though, anyone who's had a fine experience probably wouldn't bring it up in conversation! So they could be grand for most people.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Harvey Norman may also be an option for finance. I was in the one in Waterford and tbh wasn't paying full attention but I think there may an option which is free? under 12 months and 1 million billion % if you go over that duration...
    <edit> see here for yourself - http://www.harveynorman.ie/services/payment-options/quick-credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I wouldn't buy a computer on finance to be honest.
    Do you really need a brand new i7 right now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

cheers, do you know by chance do they do student discounts in harvey norman? there 12 month quick credit seems good.

i do need a new computer, fed up of windows by buying internet anti viruse products and my current computer isn't powerful nor quick enough for multi tasking and its windows vista too, the course i'm doing in september is computer programming so i need a new laptop

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I'd say go the student discount route €1,935 vs. €2,199 and see what your credit union can do for you?

Also, €1,869 for a refurb (couple of HDD options)
    and €1,949 with a SSD etc...
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The old core 2 duo macbook pros are very powerful. Is there any reason you want the imac?

Besides screen?

even the old macbooks are powerful providing you max the ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The old core 2 duo macbook pros are very powerful. Is there any reason you want the imac?

Besides screen?

even the old macbooks are powerful providing you max the ram

Agreed. My core2 duo macbookpro is a beast of a thing. I just upgraded the harddrive to an SSD and its even more beastly (makes windows run alot faster).

The only thing that ever slowed it down much was running optical character recognition on a few thousand pdf's. And that was mainly slow due to the hardrive - I'd say with the SSD it would blitz through that now.

OP I briefly considered upgrading to the i7. Until I realised a) it is too expensive and b) my core2 duo one is more than fast enough - I just needed to speed up the disk is all. And OP I could afford an i7 if I wanted to - they are just asking too much money.
    Unless you are planning on simulating nuclear explosions or designing your very own matrix you probably don't need an i7.

Edit: As licksy said check out the refurb deals - some good prices on i5's it seems:
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY2NQ
    THere's also a 17 inch i7:
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FC846B/A?mco=MTM3NDgzMzI

15 inch i7
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FC373B/A?mco=MTgwOTc3NDM

Damn actually some of these are tempting :<

Agreed the drive and the ran is worth it more than the new better i5/i7 processors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Agreed the drive and the ran is worth it more than the new better i5/i7 processors.

Does the ram really make that much of a difference? I didn't notice much between 4gb and 8gb.

I'd agree about the ssd though, the best bang for your buck upgrade IMO.

Are the i5/i7 cpu's in the MacBooks the same as the cpu's in the iMac's?
    The new i5/i7 iMac's are pretty fast compared to the older iMac's.

Cork45 - for me yes. I was running 4 virtual machines, libreoffice, lots of tabs, hundreds of screenshots and other small things open and was using all the ram and it had to keep using virtual memory and thats not the best scenario to keep doing.
    Now the speed was fine all throughout all in all but double the ram would have made it flawless.

Even not doing that I dont think I personaly could really do with 2gb.

Newer processors are good but I dont know if most people really need the faster processing, and tbh theres not a huge difference anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BWSGibbs

What did you end up doing?

Advertisement