Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a weed or a cabbage

Options
  • 09-06-2011 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

as per title. I have a couple of these growing from the same place i sowed my cabbage seeds. Most of the cabbages plants are of the red/dark green leaf variety, so im wondering are the ones like the pic weeds?!
    3zFMuUTxYSwUzd7RI9NuMv2H_BdPO4OVajeHAxdKZDQ?feat=directlink

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Its Bindweed and most likely to have come from a rhizome in the ground.
    It is invasive and its worth your while getting rid of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Mothman wrote: »
    Its Bindweed and most likely to have come from a rhizome in the ground.
    It is invasive and its worth your while getting rid of it!

+100!

Kill, destroy, eradicate etc etc :D

it's pernicious and may take some time to get rid of it but worth the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yep, bindweed. Kill it. Kill it with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The only way to completely get rid of it is to get some systemic weed killer - the kind that takes in the weedkiller on the leaves and it goes into the roots - you can get it as a gel that you paint on to individual leaves, or spray. Obviously you have to be careful not to get it on your cabbages.

Probably the easiest way is to carefully push the plant into a cut-off plastic bottle, then spray into the bottle, then just leave it. It will take a while to die back but it will be completely gone. If you just pull it up it will leave bits of root in the ground and will grow again.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

thanks all, so no point just digging it out then. Round-up will do the job I take it? I burned some nettles and thistles the other day so I have some left over

• Advertisement
Advertisement