Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Tile Cleaning - Good Idea or not?

Options
  • 09-06-2011 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We have had a Company call to the house advertising to clean and seal the roof (roof tiles). Neighbour has had it done last year but not same Company - this now shows up my house as it's a semi-detached.

(1) Is this a good idea or not to have the tiles cleaned?
    (2) What to watch out for?
    (3) Any idea on pricing?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Why do you think you need to spend money on having you're tiles cleaned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

golfbgud wrote: »
    Hi All,

We have had a Company call to the house advertising to clean and seal the roof (roof tiles). Neighbour has had it done last year but not same Company - this now shows up my house as it's a semi-detached.

(3) Any idea on pricing?

Thanks.

(1) No
    (2) Companies calling to your house, cracked tiles after, broken guttering,things missing from your garden.
    (3) Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Why do you think you need to spend money on having you're tiles cleaned?

I don't. Herself is complaining that we show up now against the neighbors house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I don't. Herself is complaining that we show up now against the neighbors house.

As above poster said, not worth the risk with broken tiles, missing stuff etc...

Don't worry, give her time and she'll find something else to moan about. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

No1J wrote: »
    (1) No
    (2) Companies calling to your house, cracked tiles after, broken guttering,things missing from your garden.
    (3) Not worth it.

+ 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yea, its nice, it cleans the house and appearance.

The only downside is that the paint will be sh1t and any thing of value in your sheds and possibly your house will be stolen around the time or after a few months when they get around to robbing your house.

They like batteries, generators particularly and any other high value tools or metals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi All,

(3) Any idea on pricing?

Thanks.

You propose having lads trample all over your brittle roof whilst blasting with power washers? With no way of proving it was them that caused the damage that is sure to follow?

Are you out of your mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Hi All,

(3) Any idea on pricing?

Thanks.

Might have been a bit harsh this morning, but other posters tend to agree.
    Ok,if you have the spare bobs just put Roof cleaning into search and lot's come up, get your quotes, but I would not let anyone on my roof with a steam cleaner. I got all the moss of my roof last year with a scraper on an extension pole, took some time but at least nothing was damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Not really a complicated job for someone with a head for heights. If you could borrow a roof-ladder, you'd manage it yourself with a scraper and a wire brush.

Advertisement