Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camels no longer needed in Australia

• 09-06-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

What do ye think of this?

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/camels-in-the-emissions-firing-line-2670116.html
    Methane-belching camels that roam the Australian Outback could be slaughtered by marksmen to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
    The Australian government wants the killing of wild camels to be officially registered as a means of reducing the country's greenhouse gas emissions under a proposed law to be voted on in parliament next week.
    The marksmen would earn so-called carbon credits.
    If culling is registered, industrial polluters around the world would be able to offset their own carbon emissions by buying the carbon credits from the shooters.
    Politician Mark Dreyfus said he hopes attaching carbon credits to each camel killed will lead to their extinction in the Australian wild.
    Press Association

Just how much emissions could a camel give off? surely one car would be a worse polluter than a camels bum?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is there really that many of them in the wild? Seems like a ludricous idea unless there are millions of these roaming the wilds.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

IMO a car would produce much more CO2 than a camel, thats just a cheap way for government to be seen to be doing something about global warming. I mean we fart all the time, should we to be killed

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Its not the farting that's the problem, its their belching. Its the same misconception that people have about cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

that is soooo stupit before the invention of the combustion engine their were no co2 promlems :mad: ahhhhh yeeee kill the camels mate datil fix it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Actually just reading up there that a camel produces about a tonne of Co2 a year, or about the same as a 7000 Km flight.

Alright that is a lot but surely it not their fault, humans imported Camels into Australia years ago to use as work horses and they have since been left to breed in the wild.

There just kickin back in the Aussie sun like half of us wish we were doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

K3v wrote: »
    Its not the farting that's the problem, its their belching. Its the same misconception that people have about cows.

Oh I didnt realise that, ah just slaughter the lot so. May as well get rid of cows in Ireland as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Is there really that many of them in the wild? Seems like a ludricous idea unless there are millions of these roaming the wilds.
    Not millions, but over a million, see here ...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0609/australia.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You'd have to wonder how much CO2 will be used up chasing them in helicopters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I think it is a daft idea from a daft nation.

I'm sure they would have sunk the boat load of refugees from Afghanistan if someone had placed a carbon credit on it.

Once trading comes into ANYTHING ~ forget it. You've already lost the principle of the concept.

If they think they need to cull the camels, so be it, but it's really daft that they then say they'll sell the carbon credit for it.

I think that guy must be Irish ... so jeez I forgot, It's Australia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Camels are an introduced species to a fragile ecosystem. Australia hosts the largest population of wild camels in the world, well over a million. There is an already introduced cull because they're overspilling into farmland and doing a lot of damage. I'd bet the carbon plan is simply someone doubling up - cull was coming anyway, now lets tick a carbon offset box too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Camels are an introduced species to a fragile ecosystem. Australia hosts the largest population of wild camels in the world, well over a million. There is an already introduced cull because they're overspilling into farmland and doing a lot of damage. I'd bet the carbon plan is simply someone doubling up - cull was coming anyway, now lets tick a carbon offset box too.

Exactly, the carbon credit thing is just a side show. The camels need to be exterminated as a non native invasive species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Camels don't damage the ground in the same way as sheep/goats. What breed are these camels? I heard awhile back that they are meant to be a very pure strain.

TBH swimming pools are a big problem in Australia.

Advertisement