Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy farm sticky??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Shanao wrote: »
    Christ didn't even notice I had written that about the heats. Thanks, what it was suppose to be was twice a year. Not sure how I messed that up? Thanks for spotting it.

I'll add some links as well at the end.

Doesn't a bitch come into heat as soon as she gives birth though? I thought it was normal enough for puppy farmed bitches to be still nursing a litter while pregnant with the next, maybe I'm wrong though :rolleyes: Some small dogs can come into heat every 3 months though regardless of breeding status.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I know some bitches can come in four times a year, but as far as I know twice is more the norm. Most bitches wont come into heat for a few months after giving birth depending on their cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Doesn't a bitch come into heat as soon as she gives birth though? I thought it was normal enough for puppy farmed bitches to be still nursing a litter while pregnant with the next, maybe I'm wrong though :rolleyes: Some small dogs can come into heat every 3 months though regardless of breeding status.

I think that might be cats your thinking of. Unless puppy farm bitches are given hormones or something to come into heat soon again after giving birth. :confused: 3 months :eek: thank god I don't own a bitch (and if I did she would be neutered), I don't think that would be the norm though would it for small dogs. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

I know some bitches can come in four times a year, but as far as I know twice is more the norm. Most bitches wont come into heat for a few months after giving birth depending on their cycle
    yeah 2 is average some once

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I think that might be cats your thinking of. Unless puppy farm bitches are given hormones or something to come into heat soon again after giving birth. :confused: 3 months :eek: thank god I don't own a bitch (and if I did she would be neutered), I don't think that would be the norm though would it for small dogs. :confused:

My dog went into heat at 18 wks and although the vet said it was the youngest she had seen in her life it wasn't uncommon for small breeds to go into heat early and was usually followed by 3 month cycles. I know someone who had a 2 week old litter of pups and the bitch went into heat again, it wasn't a small breed either, it was a border collie. Maybe its not the norm though, I'm no veterinary expert :p

• Advertisement

Found the animal A&E episode on TV3 so the link is up there as well now.

Found the animal A&E episode on TV3 so the link is up there as well now.
    maybe change the title?? if possible to something like please read before buying a pup?? in brackets puppy farming
    because some have never heard of a puppy farm and might not even read it

My dog went into heat at 18 wks and although the vet said it was the youngest she had seen in her life it wasn't uncommon for small breeds to go into heat early and was usually followed by 3 month cycles. I know someone who had a 2 week old litter of pups and the bitch went into heat again, it wasn't a small breed either, it was a border collie. Maybe its not the norm though, I'm no veterinary expert :p

18 weeks!? Christ, that's young. The last bitch we had didn't come into heat until about 9 months.

@pokertalk- I changed the title as well. Is that better?

Just realised I had accidentally called the thread: Please read before BEING a puppy. :rolleyes: Time I went to sleep I'd say

I think it looks great, now all it needs is a link to it from the 'before buying a dog' FAQ in progress thread.

• Advertisement

Just realised I had accidentally called the thread: Please read before BEING a puppy. :rolleyes: Time I went to sleep I'd say
    lol yeah before you wake up with a space bar in your mouth:p looks great fair play to ya your a shhhhtar

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Shanao--Nicely done.

Its stickied now and locked.Its probably better to have no discussion on the the stickied thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks Shanao and well done.

looks good:D hopefully peeps read it

Advertisement