Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Kilkenny 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Beasty wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make it given my racing targets for the year

It is a fantastic event though, and I would encourage boardsies to give it a go. I would point out the 100 is not a "soft" option given the climbing involved (and the distance I recorded last year was nearer 110km than 100km)

We are coming clean about the actual distance this time, there were some grumpy '110km' faces last year......:)

Perhaps we should consider a Number Reservation System for just such occasions, Lucifer forbid anyone else might be mistaken for you! And I believe someone else (guesses on a postcard, no prizes) has dibs on number 69.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lucifer forbid anyone else might be mistaken for you!
    Do you know me?
    And I believe someone else (guesses on a postcard, no prizes) has dibs on number 69.
    Sister, I think we all know who you are referring to;), but please don't start going on about your personal life here

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ive done this the last two years, first year 110km and last year 160km and I must say they are up there with my most favourite sportifs of all Ive completed. I'm going to miss this years one as I'm heading off on holidays the day before.

I would recommend anyone that can do this event to do it regardless of which one ye do, you will have a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

The Docman was out on the bike yesterday and recorded the 70k route on his Garmin, as followed:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92660421

Just note that the start and finish, is at the Kilkenny Rugby Club (on Waterford Rd, just outside the City) and not per the Garmin route above.

In case you're wondering, the Woodstock climb is not part of this route! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

aquanaut wrote: »
    the gradients look punishing all right, but as it says on the tin - great training for the SK!

this one is on a par with the SK, first long drag of the day is on a par with powers pot, Woodstock is your mahon falls, the very last climb is your seskin hill.........so what are you using to train for Kilkenny??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Just driving to a customer in the van - anyone recognise this? I was suffering just driving!

*weather and wind subject to change - please see terms and conditions

2011-06-23094154.jpg
    2011-06-23094237.jpg
    2011-06-23094300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Doesn't look nearly as hard in those pics as it is in real life!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

The Docman was out on the bike yesterday and recorded the 70k route on his Garmin, as followed:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92660421

Just note that the start and finish, is at the Kilkenny Rugby Club (on Waterford Rd, just outside the City) and not per the Garmin route above.

In case you're wondering, the Woodstock climb is not part of this route! ;)

70km looks like a nice spin
    But watch the pull up out of graignamanagh!!!!:)

daragh_ wrote: »
    Doesn't look nearly as hard in those pics as it is in real life!

Thats why I took 3 and they still didnt do it justice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Injured at present but really hoping to do this.

The climb out of Inistoige is a lovely climb. Steep but nothing extraordinarily difficult about it. Cycling in Kilkenny, Carlow, Wexford is amongst the best and most underrated cycling in the country IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Looking forward to doing the tour this year, will be my first shot at it. Was out for a 75k spin with a few mates lastnight along some of the route. We went through graiguenamanagh along to inistioge, that hill from graiguenamanagh is a nice drag, must be 20 mins of climbing at least! Managed to avoid the woodstock climb though! ;)

I havn't done over 100k on the bike yet, so think ill stick with the 110k, but feeling really tempted to go for the 160k. I'll see how training goes over the next month, whats the verdict on the 160 route? Is it manageable for a relative newbie to long distances?

jimzy wrote: »
    Looking forward to doing the tour this year, will be my first shot at it. Was out for a 75k spin with a few mates lastnight along some of the route. We went through graiguenamanagh along to inistioge, that hill from graiguenamanagh is a nice drag, must be 20 mins of climbing at least! Managed to avoid the woodstock climb though! ;)

I havn't done over 100k on the bike yet, so think ill stick with the 110k, but feeling really tempted to go for the 160k. I'll see how training goes over the next month, whats the verdict on the 160 route? Is it manageable for a relative newbie to long distances?

From what i've read, I would go with the 110k - I've only done 1 sportive of 100km and wanted to do the 160 but think that TdK isn't one to test your distance but more your climbing. Also 'cause I have the SK and don't want to completely f**k myself over 1 month before! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

I haven't ben on the road bike since October I reckon but being a Kilkenny local I would like to give the 110K a shot.

I've flown up Woodstock hill a bunch of times but Im not sure its as easy after been on the bike for a few hours before hand.

Adrian

I haven't ben on the road bike since October I reckon but being a Kilkenny local I would like to give the 110K a shot.

I've flown up Woodstock hill a bunch of times but Im not sure its as easy after been on the bike for a few hours before hand.

Adrian

You've also been in the broomwagon that the photo's were taken from !

It all depends on how fit you are, but I think it could be too much too soon. What you could do is register online for the 110km. Then when you get to the foodstop in Listerlin and if you’re still feeling fresh, you can consider becoming a professional doing the 160km! Or simply stick to the plan and see out the 110km route.

We actually had RTE Sports personality Evanne Ní Chuilinn down last Friday for the officiall launch of the 2011 Tour de Kilkenny with some reps from Barretstown - click here to see more details.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Nice pair of wheels. Also, check out our new jersey in that photo, designed by the man who unfortunately for you lot introduced me to boards: EH.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

It all depends on how fit you are, but I think it could be too much too soon. What you could do is register online for the 110km. Then when you get to the foodstop in Listerlin and if youÂ’re still feeling fresh, you can consider becoming a professional doing the 160km! Or simply stick to the plan and see out the 110km route.

We actually had RTE Sports personality Evanne NÃ* Chuilinn down last Friday for the officiall launch of the 2011 Tour de Kilkenny with some reps from Barretstown - click here to see more details.

Great stuff thanks for the advice Toblerone! Might chance doing that, but yeah probably wisest to start on the 110 and then move the SK 160 if I feel up to it! By any chance do you know of anyone in or around Kilkenny that does bike fitting?

By any chance do you know of anyone in or around Kilkenny that does bike fitting?

The Docman does Jimzy. PM sent with his contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I will do the 70Km as I only started training 4 weeks ago in prep for Kelly 90K Tour in August..

Lads - i'm off for a few weeks (to carry on training on a high nelly up the hills of Fuerta Ventura) - but hope to to see a good few heads up in Kilkenny - I'll be wearing my Sportif Waterford jersey on the day so say hi, and if anyone has a spare Large short sleeve Boards jersey they want to get rid of (and they're going to TdK) PM me and ill take it off your hands for cash (or ham sandwiches). Cheers lads - see you there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

I will make this, and ive signed up 3 other lads. Ive been off the bike all year due to work and family commitments. Hoping to get back in the saddle for this and the SK - might be pushing it as its only a few weeks away.... but hopefully it will fall into place.

From reading the 2010 thread i think ill opt for the 110k - sounds like more that enough for one day !

Folks

Please see poster attached for this year's Tour de Kilkenny. I'd appreciate if you could put it up in your local clubs, gyms, workplace etc or forward it to your cycling buddies. Please note, all money raised goes to Barretstown.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Hi,

Is anyone driving from Dublin on the Saturday morning for this? I'm looking for a lift.

Will share petrol money and tolls etc and I've got a 3-bike car rack if that's needed.

Let me know,
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Just signed up for the 160k looking forward to it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Is it still OK to sign up on the day for this? Can't do online at the moment, and really don't want to miss this, I will be the FAT guy in the Bray Wheelers gear, if anyone wants to say Hi ;)

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yup xz, there will be sign-on on the day.

Registration will be open at the Rugby Club (Waterford Road) on Friday evening from 7pm til 9pm. Then the following morning registration will re-open from 7am til 8:30am, and roll-out will be at 9am. All details here

Obviously, as with all such events, we'd love as many people as possible to pre-register on-line so that we'll have a reasonable idea of numbers. Also, only pre-registered victims riders are assured goodie-bags, the rest will have to fight for them :D

Aside: Two weeks from today it'll be all done and dusted for another year and I hope to be waking up with a hangover, rather than with the headache I currently have at the thoughts of having to spray arrows on over 160km worth of roads.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

Sounds like a cool ride. I'll try for an open pass with the Mrs once she gets back.

Doing a 70K training ride today so will see how I feel in order to decide the distance if I can get the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

... and I hope to be waking up with a hangover, rather than with the headache I currently have ...

Oh, you just leave that to us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've just signed up for the 110km route. I'm really looking forward to it!
    I've signed up on my own, so I'll be hoping to meet some fellow Boardsies to chat to along the way :)

• Advertisement

I've just signed up for the 110km route. I'm really looking forward to it!
    I've signed up on my own, so I'll be hoping to meet some fellow Boardsies to chat to along the way :)

Bring Muttley! :pac:

Advertisement