Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about Live Gigs that annoy you...

Options
  • 09-06-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

Gotta say my number 1 annoyance for Live Gigs are people who spend their whole time at a gig with their phone in the air recording the gig. I don't get why they dont just wait for the DVD to come out... no one cares about your Youtube channel either.

Fair enough if you are sitting down but if you are standing, enjoy the gig and put the phones away.

Also people who can't handle drink and just act like dickheads trying to start fights gets on my wick too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Recording video or taking **** loads of photos drives me mad too. I've had so many situations where a good line of sight is spoiled by some muppet holding their phone up in the air. Or even worse, leaning across me to record. When people do that I try to move around and bump into their arm as much as I can. If you're going to obstruct my view with your glowing phone then I'm going to ruin your video!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

The whole phone thing annoys me too. Another thing that annoys me too is when people just stand there the whole time nodding their head with their arms crossed instead of just getting into the music. The same people usually get annoyed if things get a bit hectic during a good song and give you dirty looks or tell you to get off them if you knock into them. It's a ****ing gig, if you didn't want any close contact then go get a poxy seating ticket next time!

Also when people start smoking cigarettes or weed, had a bit of that last night at Def Leppard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭IrishCian

Another thing that annoys me too is when people just stand there the whole time nodding their head with their arms crossed instead of just getting into the music.

Depends on what the gig is I suppose. Like I was at Laura Marling at Electric Picnic last year. She had a bad throat or something, so her vocals were really low and quiet. Everyone in the crowd just kinda had to stand still just to hear her..

But then again, at 30 Seconds to Mars, at Oxegen, in the pit. Random guy gives us filthy looks for jumping up and down and brushing off him arm accidentally. What do you expect??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I don't mind people taking photos (I do myself), but taking endless amounts of video mystifies me and becomes a pain in the hole very quickly. The quality is always going to be cr@p so why bother taking half the damn show.

People (especially women, who think that the fact they're women grants them immunity) who think they're entitled to push in front of you when you went to the bother of going in early to get a good spot.

The seemingly nerver-ending production line of assorted drunken/stoned f*ckwits

IrishCian wrote: »
    Depends on what the gig is I suppose. Like I was at Laura Marling at Electric Picnic last year. She had a bad throat or something, so her vocals were really low and quiet. Everyone in the crowd just kinda had to stand still just to hear her..

But then again, at 30 Seconds to Mars, at Oxegen, in the pit. Random guy gives us filthy looks for jumping up and down and brushing off him arm accidentally. What do you expect??

It does depend on the gig, this only came to mind though since I was at Def Leppard last night and there were several people around me like that, right up at the barrier just standing there nodding. This is during the likes of songs like The Boys are Back in Town, Poison and Pour Some Sugar on Me! You can't stay still for material like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The whole other people thing is kinda annoying.

Master of the Universe

The whole phone thing annoys me too. Another thing that annoys me too is when people just stand there the whole time nodding their head with their arms crossed instead of just getting into the music. The same people usually get annoyed if things get a bit hectic during a good song and give you dirty looks or tell you to get off them if you knock into them. It's a ****ing gig, if you didn't want any close contact then go get a poxy seating ticket next time!

Also when people start smoking cigarettes or weed, had a bit of that last night at Def Leppard.

You do realize that everyone is not fit and healthy?

I split my leg in half at a concert a couple of years ago and it'll never be the same again. I can't jump around on it and have to be constantly aware of my surroundings, especially at concerts.

However I'm not going to consign myself to the back of the place or some ****ty seat where I can't see anything just because I make people like yourself uncomfortable.

A bit of courtesy towards your fellow concert goer goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to Gigs & Events.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You do realize that everyone is not fit and healthy?

I split my leg in half at a concert a couple of years ago and it'll never be the same again. I can't jump around on it and have to be constantly aware of my surroundings, especially at concerts.

However I'm not going to consign myself to the back of the place or some ****ty seat where I can't see anything just because I make people like yourself uncomfortable.

A bit of courtesy towards your fellow concert goer goes a long way.

It'd be quite unfortunate if everyone around me at the concert last night split their leg like you did but I don't think that was the case. These people look like they don't want to be there most of the time. People who don't move don't make me uncomfortable, just what's the point in paying 60 odd for the show if you're not going to at least make an effort? I don't know where courtesy comes in to it either, it's not like I dig anyone I see not moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

The price of tickets for live gigs annoys me :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

People, especially women, who clearly are unable to cope with being up the front at gigs, yet insist on going up there anyways. Women in high heels do not belong right at the front of a Prodigy gig.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    People, especially women, who clearly are unable to cope with being up the front at gigs, yet insist on going up there anyways. Women in high heels do not belong right at the front of a Prodigy gig.

That happened last night too actually, some guy who was near the front of the barrier kept asking some bloke in front of him if his girlfriend could go in front of him so she could get at the barrier, and he was clearly annoyed just telling him no over and over. I dunno what it is with women/sense of entitlement in general. The guy who was up front first eventually moved at some time during the show and the chick got up front, it looked like she could barely stand up by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

****ty sound for the support band.

Ticket prices.

Queues for the toilets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Really annoys me when people wear leather jackets and coats :confused: during gigs while jumping around. That and when they're shirtless/sweaty bastards! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

People with cameras. I was at a People of the Monolith gig a couple of months back and a was surrounded by people taking photos. Every couple of minutes: FLASH!! Bastards totally ruined the gig for me. I won't mind so much if the band were well known or if the venue was a lot bigger but in such a small, dark, crowded venue they totally ruined the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Thing that really annoys me is people who talk the whole time. Iv mean why pay all that money to have a chat.

People constantly getting up and going to the bar during a seated gig, then needing to go to the toilet. Then getting more drink. Just stay at the bar.

The people not moving doesn't bother me in the slightest. People act differently to music. Why feel uncomfortable if somebody isn't going mad? I like to move about at a gig but I'm always aware of other people around me. Nothing worse than getting jumped up and down on and getting knocked around.

People who think they can come up to the front 5 minutes before the gig starts when I've been queing for hours to get that spot.

Master of the Universe

It'd be quite unfortunate if everyone around me at the concert last night split their leg like you did but I don't think that was the case. These people look like they don't want to be there most of the time. People who don't move don't make me uncomfortable, just what's the point in paying 60 odd for the show if you're not going to at least make an effort? I don't know where courtesy comes in to it either, it's not like I dig anyone I see not moving.

No, but you have to be aware that although not all people around you have physical ailments - some might. Therefore don't assume they're just all boring farts who won't get involved. I sure wasn't before I ****ed up my leg. I still didn't use people as spring boards though.

The courtesy was in relation to -

The same people usually get annoyed if things get a bit hectic during a good song and give you dirty looks or tell you to get off them if you knock into them. It's a ****ing gig, if you didn't want any close contact then go get a poxy seating ticket next time!

If people are telling you to get off them, you might want to find somewhere a bit more hectic to stand. That would where the courteous bit comes into play. I generally go for the front but to the sides where it's a bit more sedate. The odd time you get some crazy ass ****er who's completely unaware of the people around him and decides to go on a mad one, bashing into everyone and generally making things not very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

When people start singing Ole Ole Ole or 'One more chooooon'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Women in high heels at gigs. Was at Feeder there last August, 3 girls in heels in the 2nd row, only knew one song and kicked me and my mate if we start jumping. My girlfriend ended up pulling the hair of one while my mate gave her a kick back.

Also ****ing cameras. Was at MCR in Feb and some teenie filming every single song. Annoyed the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Good Thread

Things that annoy me:
    • Crap supporting bands
    • Crap Sound for supporting bands.
    • Talking during concerts.
    • People pushing up from the back just before the main act starts
    • Topless / sweaty people.
    • People looking for too much 'personaL space' at gigs
    • Crap sound
    • Over fussy / powertripping stewards who just want to be seen and get involved in a scrap
    • Crap plastic cups
    • Paying a big price for gigs for a band to barely do a 90 minute set
    • Crap sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I would like to add touts to my list. I'll take any chance I can to take a whack at them. Getting all the good tickets, overpricing fans out of gigs. That counts right?

I have to agree with o1s1n's posts. I wear glasses and am pretty much blind as a bat without them. A few years ago I went through a few pairs in quick succession and ever since then I've been that guy who's stood near Twilightning no doubt annoying him because I'm not jumping around the place like a madman ;). Just to be clear though, I'm certainly not going to be stood up the front or in the middle of the mosh pit and, just because I'm not jumping around or whatever does not mean that I'm not appreciating the music or focusing on what the drummer/bassist/singer/guitarist etc. is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

**** sound
    Bands being up their own holes
    Sound engineers not taking a kind word of advice
    Over priced drink
    People diving on ya (don't mind a moshpit but stop trying to crawl on me you sweaty bastard)
    When people who are against the rail keep pushing back to try keep you away from the railings!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Tall people.
    People with big hair.
    Tall people with big hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

People trying to force a rapport with the musician between songs! (making song requests, throwing out some comments that "only we get")
    At an acoustic gig recently, and one or two people at it felt it was necessary to make "funny" comments as much as possible in between songs. Ugh...
    "Thanks mate, but we came to see his act, not yours"

Crap sound! Obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Bad sound.
    Taking ages to set up a set after the support act.
    People talking, snogging, staggering around, smoking, fighting, stoned during the gig.
    People phoning people for a chat.
    People with backpacks, bloody hell do you need to bring so much crap with you.
    Tall people.
    Ignorant people.
    People shouting song requests.

throwing out some comments that "only we get")

I can't stand the uproarious laughter from obsequious audience members whenever the artist says something mildly amusing - calm down, you ass-kisser!

Squelchy wrote: »
    Tall people.
    People with big hair.
    Tall people with big hair.
    What about big people with tall hair? Are they okay?

Malice wrote: »
    What about big people with tall hair? Are they okay?

They're alright - they rarely go to the same gigs as me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Not a big fan of the pre planned encore. Gets on my goat at times.

Advertisement