Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to live in Drogheda

Options
  • 09-06-2011 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, am planning a move to Drogheda to commute to Dublin for work. Can anyone give me an idea of the best areas to live in and what areas to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

JaneyJC:
    Realistically, your best bet is Grangrerath, Stameen, Five Oaks, anywhere on the southside really.
    Depends what sort of house/area you want to live.
    You'll be avoiding the tolls and most of the town traffic by picking one of these spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

kormak wrote: »
    JaneyJC:
    Realistically, your best bet is Grangrerath, Stameen, Five Oaks, anywhere on the southside really.
    Depends what sort of house/area you want to live.
    You'll be avoiding the tolls and most of the town traffic by picking one of these spots.

+1 for these areas as well. Anywhere on the northside of town will add another 20-25mins travel time to your commute.

Grange Rath is quite a big estate with a new shopping centre attached to it. Lots of empty units still but a decent dunnes, coffee shop, butchers, newsagent, pharmacy, hairdressers, barbers and dry cleaners.

Stameen, Five Oaks are older but some new houses built at the very back of five oaks recently.

There's also Wheaton Hall and Deepforde but have read a few threads about the build quality in these. (correct me if I'm wrong)

A few new estates also on the peripheries, Avourwen and Knockbrack downs, the latter is beside an industrial estate although easy access out to the motorway (toll) or the N2 by Platin. Both seem to have some aspect of "ghost estates" to them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JaneyJC

Thanks for the responses. Have looked up these areas and they seem nice. Have seen an apartment in Fitzwilliam Court - does anyone know if it has a good reputation/is in a good area? The plus for me is that it is close to the bus station for commuting.

Hmmm, there was a murder there in January. http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0108/drogheda.html

It's very central alright, but there's bus stops all the way down the Dublin road for buses to Dublin, right outside all the estates mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I had heard the build quality in Deepforde is better than in Grange Rath. You'd probably get better mobile phone coverage in Deepforde and it's slightly closer to Drogheda while still being away from the traffic, for what it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JaneyJC

Thanks again everyone. How good are the areas of grangerath and deepforde for public transport? I had heard about the murder in Fitzwilliam but was under the impression that it's a secure place and was a once off incident but unsure now - really liked it too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Hmmm, there was a murder there in January. http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0108/drogheda.html

It's very central alright, but there's bus stops all the way down the Dublin road for buses to Dublin, right outside all the estates mentioned.
    JaneyJC wrote: »
    Thanks again everyone. How good are the areas of grangerath and deepforde for public transport? I had heard about the murder in Fitzwilliam but was under the impression that it's a secure place and was a once off incident but unsure now - really liked it too :(

I think it was a one off thing to do with a love triangle or something like that.

If you do not drive and don't have kids I'd say you would be better off in Drogheda itself, I've never been in Fitzwilliam court but a friend lived there for a while and loved it, really nice fit out and beside pubs, shops, art centre, buses ect. He left because he moved to America.

How are you going to travel to work? The Matthews bus stops on the North Road, lots of nice places to live around there. If you move out the Dublin Road and don't have a car you will have to get taxi's when you go out, as far as I know the Dublin bus stops at a few places along the Dublin Road (Bus Eireann).

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭troops

There's also Wheaton Hall and Deepforde but have read a few threads about the build quality in these. (correct me if I'm wrong)

what have u heard about wheaton hall houses?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64524036

That's the first I could find on a quick search. I recall something else on here about either insulation or soundproofing as well.
    Again only hearsay as I don't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

*snip*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fitzwilliam court

Fitzwilliam court is the only individually owned and managed apartment complex in Louth. It contains 86 apartments and has been operated and managed by Fitzwilliam properties for over 8 years. It has an onsite maintenance team and a concierge.

If you check with any of the local estate agents they will tell you it's one of the best and safest places to live in Drogheda.

Having lived there for 5 years and being the ex manager I can attest there is no heating issue or insulation problems.

To anyone who is unsure please drop into our reception between 9-5 monday to Friday and a member of the Fitzwilliam team will show you around our facility

regards

Cillian Smyth

Advertisement