Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom bundle scam €61mth package advertised heavliy

• 09-06-2011 10:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

eircom have introduced a special DSL so called 'Next Generation' package for their cheap bundles, advertised heavily.

This thing is called eircom Next Generation Broadband Velocity 24576kbps Downstream / 768kbps Upstream and is integrated into a number of bundles...most particularly the ones they advertise the most.

The combined upload and download cap is 10GB. Assuming a 9/1 d/l and u/l split ...coz ya cannot download without uploading something....you could theoretically bust your monthly cap in only 50 Minutes at that speed....

Thereafter you will be liable to excess charges of up to €30 a month by my reckoning given that the cost weighting of the BB component within the overall bundle is so low.

I reckon UPC must be bursting their holes laughing at them for this one. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭kaahooters

eircoms cap is now 250g

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kaahooters wrote: »
    eircoms cap is now 250g
    That is the unlimited cap :cool: generall called NGN regular or NGN unlimited., watch out for NGN Velocity products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Thats a bloody disgrace.... what a pointless scam package. Whats the price of the package SB?

kaahooters wrote: »
    eircoms cap is now 250g

Not for the velocity package mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The title mentions €61... Is that as part of unlimited calls etc? Is there a standalone price for this or at least a price for just this and line rental? The standalone DSL services with line rental separate have only a 6 month contract when I last checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The combined upload and download cap is 10GB. Assuming a 9/1 d/l and u/l split ...coz ya cannot download without uploading something....you could theoretically bust your monthly cap in only 50 Minutes at that speed....
    I'm going to be a pedantic little git here:D
    As far as usage is concerned, the fastest way to use it up simply boils down to the maximum data bandwidth that eircom give (download and upload combined). Which is 25344 kbps. SB's ratio is impossibe for maximum usage as upload speed is only 1/32 of download speed if a customer is indeed getting the full ADSL2+ speed.

So, doing my sums on that means it would take 55 minutes and 10 seconds to use up the cap. Or if the protocol overheads aren't counted by eircom, about 1 hour, 5 minutes and 31 seconds give or take a minute or two.

Serious business:)

I'm in complete agreement, the package is a silly idea though at least they're being honest about the limits which is more than can be said for some companies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 sgbrady

i'm getting next generation broadband velocity and he says that the price stays the same and you get a new wireless modem but with less monthly allowance :confused:

Advertisement