Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from AH for 1 month.

Options
  • 09-06-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Hi MODS,

I was recently banned from AH for 1 month for 'Threatening violence' and I consider this to be a misguided decision.
    This thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056291787 was started and I added a post pretending to be a 'scumbag' and was then insulted by a 'self appointed' Mod, who began to get progressivley aggressive with me, insisting I send him a pm to 'see how far' I would take it.
    Firstly, I had thought the term 'scumbag' was banned from AH, never mind starting a thread beginning with it. Sure enough, all the usual crap started coming out, douse them with petrol, give the Fire Brigade nailguns, yadda yadda. I am aware that my initial post might be considered 'Trolling', but I had purposely added it with 'Me and a load of me mates' line at the start to come accross a 'scumbag'. Is this not allowed?
    I PM'd Hotlips, the Mod who banned me, no response.
    I noticed later in the thread a different Mod, added a post 'I'll bait ye:pac:. Stop the Bitchin please' this was all that was needed, not a 1 month ban.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

hi lastlaugh,

HotLips has had very intermittent access to the internet so it's not a case that she's ignoring you, simply that she hasn't been able to get on-line much. I'll get in touch with her about this but I'd just ask for your patience on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Hey g'em,

Thanks for your reply.

Me and me scumbag alter-ego will wait so!

;)

How long do I need to wait to get a reply from the Mod who banned me before we can discuss my ban further?

I appreciate people have lives beyond Boards mind you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi lastlaugh,

As I understand it HotLips has been in touch and reduced your ban to two weeks. I feel this is a fair ban and support it.
    lastlaugh wrote: »
    Hi MODS,

I was recently banned from AH for 1 month for 'Threatening violence' and I consider this to be a misguided decision.
    This thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056291787 was started and I added a post pretending to be a 'scumbag' and was then insulted by a 'self appointed' Mod, who began to get progressivley aggressive with me, insisting I send him a pm to 'see how far' I would take it.
    With respect, how was that poster to know you were joking? It certainly wasn't obvious and having read your post I would have taken it at face value also. It read as though you were intentionally trying to wind up other posters on a sensitive issue.
    lastlaugh wrote:
    Firstly, I had thought the term 'scumbag' was banned from AH, never mind starting a thread beginning with it.
    It's not banned per se on the forum, but it all comes down to context. Calling another poster a scumbag is contextually different to calling a bunch of people who attack firefighters scum.
    lastlaugh wrote:
    Sure enough, all the usual crap started coming out, douse them with petrol, give the Fire Brigade nailguns, yadda yadda. I am aware that my initial post might be considered 'Trolling', but I had purposely added it with 'Me and a load of me mates' line at the start to come accross a 'scumbag'. Is this not allowed?
    It really was very trollish in nature and you can see that for yourself. I'm not sure where you're coming from with your explanation of the "Me and my mates" line? Are you admitting that you were intentionally trolling and baiting other people by winding them up?

After your initial trolling post another poster reacted to it - as is the nature of these posts. given that you knew you were winding other people up I'm at a bit of a loss to understand at this point why you reacted the way you did:
    lastlaugh wrote:
    Who are you calling a TROLL/TWAT?

Do you want me and a load of me mates to come down to smelly Wexford and Brick yiz all out of it?
    If you had an issue with the post you should have reported it (this would have been a fairly ironic thing to do of course given that you were purposefully winding poster up).

But not only that you threatened violence to another member. You absolutely can't do that anywhere on boards. This is your second ban from the AH forum and so a two week ban is fitting with the progressive nature of ban length time.

I'd suggest that you lay of the trolling on your return, it's rarely a succesful strategy and will invariably end up in the troller missing out on valuable AH posting time.

g'em wrote: »
    Hi lastlaugh,

As I understand it HotLips has been in touch and reduced your ban to two weeks. I feel this is a fair ban and support it.

Hi g'em,

I just saw replys from HotLips now and see that my ban has been reduced which I appreciate.
    With respect, how was that poster to know you were joking? It certainly wasn't obvious and having read your post I would have taken it at face value also. It read as though you were intentionally trying to wind up other posters on a sensitive issue.

I think that thread itself was ridiculous, it's title 'Scumbags attacking Firefighters - Why?', what kind of an answer did he expect? A logical debate between 'scumbags' and and all us other righteous people? Some valid reasons as to why people actually attack those whose job it is to save lives? I don't think so. This was pretty much a bashing thread, and was always going to deteriorate into who had the nastiest idea to inflict on these scumbags etc, etc...
    It's not banned per se on the forum, but it all comes down to context. Calling another poster a scumbag is contextually different to calling a bunch of people who attack firefighters scum.

I see what you mean. The use or the term itself is inflammatory though and people are quick to jump up on their high horses. Seeing all kinds punishments etc as justified because they're scumbags.
    It really was very trollish in nature and you can see that for yourself. I'm not sure where you're coming from with your explanation of the "Me and my mates" line? Are you admitting that you were intentionally trolling and baiting other people by winding them up?

After your initial trolling post another poster reacted to it - as is the nature of these posts. given that you knew you were winding other people up I'm at a bit of a loss to understand at this point why you reacted the way you did:

I tried be satirical and voicing the argument of a scumbag. It's not "me and my mates", it's "me and me mates" if you see what I mean.
    I'm not admitting trolling or baiting other people although I can see how it could be percieved as such.
    I did change 'character' to add a ridiculous post to what I saw as a pointless Thread though. I suppose there is a fine line between the two.
    If you had an issue with the post you should have reported it (this would have been a fairly ironic thing to do of course given that you were purposefully winding poster up).

He chose to get wound up by my initial post and then assumed a character of a righteous Mod, much the same way I pretended to be a 'Scumbag'.
    I did get wound up by being referred to as a Twat, hence my somewhat regrettable second post.
    But not only that you threatened violence to another member. You absolutely can't do that anywhere on boards. This is your second ban from the AH forum and so a two week ban is fitting with the progressive nature of ban length time.

I threatened to "go down to smelly Wexford and brick yiz all out of it". Unfortunately the other poster had not seen I was trying to be sarcastic rather than threatening at that point and it went downhill from there. I did try to apologize but he wasn't about to lose face at that stage.

Last time I was banned by Dr Bolocko he ignored my pm. I was banned for 'abusing' other posters. The annoying thing about that was that not only was my pm to him ignored, but the poster I had 'abused' saw the funny side of what I had posted. Ah well.
    I'd suggest that you lay of the trolling on your return, it's rarely a succesful strategy and will invariably end up in the troller missing out on valuable AH posting time.

Understood.

Thanks g'em

• Advertisement

I'm happy that this is resolved if it needs to be closed off or whatever happens.

Strange type of limbo place this Dispute Resolution area :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement