Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged 3 euro to take out cash out of atm machine in centra shop in northern ireland

Options
  • 09-06-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was recently in northern ireland for the weekend.
    I used my ulster bank visa debit card in centra spar shop and was charged 4.01 to take out money.
    CHARGE 3.00,
    ERTF 1.01

However when i used it at ulster bank atm machine the following day...there was no charge
    CHARGE 0.00,
    ERTF 0.00

Is this right?Do you get charged 3eueo to take out money from a machine in a centra shop?Also what is this erft charge about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Yes in the UK many atm's are operated by private companies. They should have notified you in advance of any charges.

Ulster Bank allow free withdrawals from any Ulster Bank, NatWest or RBS atm.

I think ERTF is Exchange Rate Transaction Fee.

EDIT: have a look at page 18 of this PDF for fees/charges with Ulster Bank current accounts.

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/documents/roi/Guide_to_Personal_Account_Fees_and_Interest.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Standard charge for using non rbs, Natwest ATM when out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dublin daz wrote: »
    Yes in the UK many atm's are operated by private companies. They should have notified you in advance of any charges.

It probably did but us folk down south aren't used to this racket third party charge which is also a feature of ATM withdrawals in the US.

My local (Dublin) convenience store has an Ulster Bank ATM which displays a prominent message telling me there is 'no charge for using this facility' to withdraw my (BOI) cash, the people in NI and GB aren't so lucky.

In general terms when in the UK you should try to use a bank ATM which means one attached to a bank branch or in a major public place like an airport but not in a place like McDonalds or a convenience store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Those machines are clearly marked as having extra charges. Either on a sign, or on the screen. "extra charges made be applied, do you with to continue? yes / no ". You clicked yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

We use far too much cash down here. Apparently we are the biggest offenders in europe (where have I heard that before).

The way we as a society use cash is totally illogical and if animals were observed displaying the same behaviour we would want to lock them up......just think

- Cash is printed paper distributed by the banks using very costly security vans accompanied by Gardai and army vehicles around the country.
    - Men wearing protective gear or poor little bank cashiers put the paper into machines.
    - the public take the money out and sometimes experience fraud as a result because the electronic details have been taken off their plastic card.

- the members of the public go to shops, bars etc and hand over the pieces of paper.

- the paper is gathered up by the shopkeeper, bar owner etc, some of these pieces of paper may go under the counter so that the taxman doesn't find out about it and some will go back to the bank.

- and the whole merry-go-round starts again.

- after a few journeys around the country, the paper is so dirty it can jam the machines so the scruffy paper is burned and more pieces of paper are printed!

- And so it goes on!

Just think about the cost to society of the printing, transportation, the security, the fraud and the unpaid taxes!! Never mind the trees cuts down to supply the paper!

Absolute madness! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Toboldlygo wrote: »
    We use far too much cash down here. Apparently we are the biggest offenders in europe (where have I heard that before).

That's because we do things differently than in other parts of Europe, especially when it comes to drinking. Most of you probably know that if you go to a drinking establishment in continental Europe you effectively run up a tab and fix up when you're leaving. In Ireland the pubs wouldn't trust the customers (not to run off without paying) and the customers wouldn't trust the pubs (not to topup the tab with a few phantom rounds) so we pay for every drink or round with cash, hence we need lots of ATMs because going drinking in Ireland means having lots of dosh in your pocket.

This difference in culture was highlighted a few weeks ago when a group of Irish travellers (i.e. members of the travelling community) went on the lash in some German city. Not alone were they not used to being served drink in pubs, they couldn't believe their luck when the barman/waiter didn't even ask them for money for the drinks so naturally they drank as if there was no tomorrow, got completely smashed and when they were leaving they trashed the place because the staff had the cheek to ask them for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

coylemj wrote: »
    That's because we do things differently than in other parts of Europe, especially when it comes to drinking. Most of you probably know that if you go to a drinking establishment in continental Europe you effectively run up a tab and fix up when you're leaving. In Ireland the pubs wouldn't trust the customers (not to run off without paying) and the customers wouldn't trust the pubs (not to topup the tab with a few phantom rounds) so we pay for every drink or round with cash, hence we need lots of ATMs because going drinking in Ireland means having lots of dosh in your pocket.

This difference in culture was highlighted a few weeks ago when a group of Irish travellers (i.e. members of the travelling community) went on the lash in some German city. Not alone were they not used to being served drink in pubs, they couldn't believe their luck when the barman/waiter didn't even ask them for money for the drinks so naturally they drank as if there was no tomorrow, got completely smashed and when they were leaving they trashed the place because the staff had the cheek to ask them for money!

Too true! It even feels weird in other countries when you get a tab going sometimes :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

thebourke wrote: »
    Is this right?Do you get charged 3eueo to take out money from a machine in a centra shop?Also what is this erft charge about?

Welcome to the real world! This is the standard way it works in most EU countries - take money out anywhere other than a branch of your own bank and you'll get charged €3 or €4 for the service!

Jim.

Advertisement