Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software & Web Development subforums

Options
  • 09-06-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭

It seems a bit ridiculous to me that web stuff is lumped in with the rest of development, and yet there is a seperate forum for mobile applications. Please seperate the Development subforum into Development and Web Development. Low level C++ questions do not belong in same place as web development.

In before accusations of elitism etc etc.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Why? Whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

pfffff you cant post "in before ....." at the end of your own post! thats not sporting at all! :)

IIRC there was a web developement forum all to itself (and a web hosting one but the less said about that the better). I'm not a programmer but isnt C++ related to Java and isnt Java related to web developement ?

honestly though, have you spoken to the mods about this? Is there enough web developement specific traffic, that is traffic that goes to that sunforum specificallyto talk about web developement to warrant a seperate subforum? Would that sub forum dry up and become a wasteland with the incidental traffic provided by people coming to see the legendary Fortran coder and the mysterious two headed Cobol man ?

If the mods and the cmods are on board then usually its a good bet that the admins would agree as well but we have to convinced that it can stand on its own.

There is a Software Design forum intended for the discussion of all things web and software UI based, but as it was historically the web design forum its still trending pretty heavily in that way. The Development forum was intended to take the code heavy aspects of software.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There are loads of threads in the "development" forum that have nothing to do with development. Threads about setting up webservers and so on. How come mobile applications gets a forum? Just because it's the new trendy thing?

I haven't spoken to the mods, I thought this feedback forum was how I "spoke to the mods". Actually I was the original mod of the dev forum in 1998 (ask tom) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Then you ought to know better :p;)
    And to be honest, the biggest issue I have with the forum at the moment is that we don't do web hosting comparisons, and people keep looking for them...

• Advertisement

I would be of the opinion that setting up a web server shoul dbe the first step of any web developement. If the platform is not set up correctly (IIS application pools assigned properly, default paths set correctly, Apache directorries given correct access permissions and sub-directories created for scripts and resources, appropriate packages and versions installed) then surely anything developed on one platform will not work correctly on another that has been configured in some random way.

If the forum has loads of threads on setting up web servers, enough that its getting in the way of the web developement threads, then this could easily be construed as , there are not enough developement specific threads to significantly outweigh the webserver threads and so any sub-forum that splits out the developemetn content would be quite sparsely populated.... of course the counter argument could be made that the forum is so busy that even a minority percentage of threads would still be a quite busy sub-forum in their own right or that a dedicated sub-forum would increase traffic to such a degree that it would be self sustaining.

re web hositng comparisons...baaad baaad memories... more spam and shill than you could shake a stick of shill-flavoured-spam at.... It would be nice to have but would need incredibly strict and attentive moderation. If you can come up with a suggestion for how it would be handled then I'd gladly pass the suggestion along to the rest of the admins and staff and then laugh evilly as hell comes to hosting ehhh discussion... dammit would have sounded better if I didnt use the full name :(. Just remember there are legal considerations to be taken into account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The problem is there is no distinction made between software engineering and web development. "Development" is too broad a title and quite misleading. Thus the boundaries are already blurred, and moderation isn't enforced anyway (see mobile app threads popping up everywhere except for the mobile applications forum).

Threads about setting up web servers DO belong on a web development forum!!! Questions about C++ do not. Seperate that forum into 1. Web Development and 2. Software Engineering.

If anyone is going to argue that "web development IS software engineering" then having seperate forums for anything is pointless. This site would devolve into 2 fora, AH (containing lulz) and Philosophy (containing everything else).

I'd be interested to hear your arguments as to how its not, if you'd be willing to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

LoLth wrote: »
    re web hositng comparisons...baaad baaad memories... more spam and shill than you could shake a stick of shill-flavoured-spam at.... It would be nice to have but would need incredibly strict and attentive moderation. If you can come up with a suggestion for how it would be handled then I'd gladly pass the suggestion along to the rest of the admins and staff and then laugh evilly as hell comes to hosting ehhh discussion... dammit would have sounded better if I didnt use the full name :(. Just remember there are legal considerations to be taken into account too.

While it is probably fraught with difficulties, I wonder if you could have a locked sticky for hosting sites that is based upon user votes? It could also contain some basic information about hosting, FTP clients, etc.

In order to keep the above sticky clean a separate thread could be created for the initial vote with the provisos of a minimum post count and a maximum number of x recommendations apply and off topic posts/ bickering = deleted posts. The thread is then locked for voting, the votes tallied and results posted in the locked sticky. (Perhaps there could be some indication if the company is Irish.) It would just be a matter of directing people to the sticky whilst also enforcing the current ban on any general chatter about hosting.

The process could then be repeated every X months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    I've been interested in this topic since I requested we split Programming off from Technology back in 2000 :)

ah, the good ol' days. look at the naive young Trojan looking for a response within 4 days of making the request :) Boards beat that out of you pretty quickly :p

Seeing the history of how the forum came about makes it easier to understand why two, seemingly disparate, disciplines have ended up together.

Advertisement