Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgent I.T. Advice Required!!

• 09-06-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Please help. I have had a couple interviews with a company to sell I.T. equipment and the person who I would be reporting to has given me a test to see what I know about I.T. equipment. The problem is my back ground is in Telecom and I have never sold I.T. equipment before.

Now they do know this and there is a full training program, however I believe he just want's to see if I'm smart enough to figure things out. Here is what he has asked me to do:

Please allocated correct market place for these products and please identify at least 10 potential companies who you can do business with in Ireland.

Few examples of the products;

CISCO DS-X9148 2 units,

CISCO M9500ENT1EK9,

BROCADE DS-4100B 32ports active,

BROCADE DS-5000B 32 ports active,

BROCADE AP-7600B 16ports active,

Brocade 5100, 4pcs

8G memory dims, MT36HTS1G72FY,

This is a U.K. company who is trying to break into the Irish market place. I was recruited by a headhunter and have already had 3 interviews (1 phone, 1 with the recruiter, 1 with the company in the UK).

I really need this job so if anyone can please help tell me what these products are and what type of company's would require them I would be grateful.

Thanks,

P.S. I need to reply by 4:00 this afternoon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Answers:

A
    C
    D
    C
    A
    B
    C
    and
    C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Um..

Open google, paste in the product name & code and you will find out what it is. You should also then be able to see what these products are for and how big a company they are for, which should allow you to identify the "marketplace" and ten suitably-sized companies to whom you can sell htem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

... and pray that the interviewer already knows what they all are, because when you paste some of them into Google, this thread is returned in the search results.:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Most of that stuff is Network equipment or SAN switches and some of it is even end of life. If their a big player they will want you to name SMEs or large Enterprises. As far as I'm concerned most of the stuff below with the exception of the cisco licensing (Weird its just stuck in there!) is for SME's.

The memory Dimms might have sufficed for a server 2 - 3 years ago but alot of stuff is Virtualisesd now even in small oranizations so those servers might have double that amount.

Hope that helps

LoGiE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

dvpower wrote: »
    ... and pray that the interviewer already knows what they all are, because when you paste some of them into Google, this thread is returned in the search results.:eek:

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

In the OPs defense, for Cisco and brocade /IBM stuff you need a little IT knowledge to understand what the difference between these €10K + switches and the common SOHO sub 2K devices. Especially as the prices are not generally available without requesting.

And to clarify on LoGie's comment, I'd suggest that things like 32 ports of 4GB fiber channel are not for the common irish small businesses, unless they have unusually high IT demands. Medium, sure.
    But the mentioned devices are out of date by about 2 years.

They'd belong in companies that have employee numbers in the hundreds, and high availability requirements.
    The summary blurb for the newer versions on the site might help.
    http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/comparison/emc-connectrix-switches.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Hi,

I would suggest you look at companies that require high availability storage.

Think back to your telecoms job, most telco providers need a savvy billing engine which can process thousands of requests at any one time.

Failover is also another good avenue to explore, if you were to think again of a telco company who have their savvy billing engine in a datacentre but also have requirement to replicate that system to another datacentre close by.

This will be a challenge alright in Ireland. Best of luck with it.;)

Advertisement