Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big PHOENIX FM thread!

Options
  • 14-04-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Does anybody on this forum listen to Phoenix FM? I have a vested interest as I answered an ad in Community Voice recently to volunteer to work on the station.

They have just erected a new aerial on The Falcon's View building (it wraps around the Crowne Plaza Hotel) and the coverage is now much better. I am in Clonsilla and I couldn't get it at home until now.

It is planned to broadcast morning programmes five days a week from 5 May. They are looking for more volunteers to man (or person) the increase in broadcasting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

joolsveer wrote: »
    Does anybody on this forum listen to Phoenix FM? I have a vested interest as I answered an ad in Community Voice recently to volunteer to work on the station.

They have just erected a new aerial on The Falcon's View building (it wraps around the Crowne Plaza Hotel) and the coverage is now much better. I am in Clonsilla and I couldn't get it at home until now.

It is planned to broadcast morning programmes five days a week from 5 May. They are looking for more volunteers to man (or person) the increase in broadcasting.

I actually used to co run a night time show on a Friday and then the desk on an afternoon show on the Saturday. For our show we where never ready to run a show, myself and another fella didn’t want to go on air and some of the others were hardly there or just in it for the laugh, in turn our show was cancelled as we couldn’t make up 80% talk per hour.

The feeling I got in general was that they wanted to be a RTE Radio 1 and in turn didn’t want younger people or people from certain classes, every show we done we had a staff member watching over us and closing down and locking the station up. I myself put a lot of effort in and in return felt as if I was disposable and that sure we can get someone else to do what you’re doing.

I got back in touch with Phoenix via PM on boards and after some talk and me telling them what hours I could do they never got back in touch. So just a heads up before you start!

Oh and we had people who listened in from Finglas back when we done the show (around 99-00)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I had my own show on there for two years and I found all the Staff very very nice and accomadating. My show ran its course and I knew when it was time to hang up the mic. But I whole heartedly recommend going for it. It was a very valuable experience and it looks great on the CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Steed

Hi

Phoenix FM has recently gone live from 9am, 5 days a week

There will be an official launch coming soon.

In the meantime from my own point of view the slot I am involved with is on Tuesdays from 10am to 11.30am. Next weeks guests include comedian Patrick Combs who will be appearing at Draiocht June 15th and Francesca Brown who will be appearing in the Crowne Plaza Blanch Friday June 10th for 'An evening with the Angels' Francesca has written about her experiences with angels and we will be chatting to her about it.
    There will also be a couple more guests, a bit of banter, music and hopefully a laugh or two

cheers

P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I got this email from Phoenix FM.
    Phoenix FM– want to be part of the new team?

So many exciting milestones lately! We’ve moved our aerial to a brilliant new site, we’ve recruited and trained 20 new volunteers and we’ve quietly commenced daytime broadcasting with an exciting new programme schedule and a fantastic team of new producers, presenters & techies! Very soon, we will have an official launch of our daytime schedule.

Because of the demands of our new programming arrangements, we immediately need fresh volunteers.

What are we looking for? We need volunteers who will produce, present or contribute to daytime programmes. We also need techies and researchers and anyone who believes they can contribute to us giving voice to residents of Dublin 15.

No previous broadcasting experience is required - we will provide training to new volunteers.

If you live in D15, have the daytime availability and are interested, email us immediately to volunteer@phoenixfm.ie , Also remember you may have a neighbour, friend or family member who may be interested.

This could be the most fulfilling project you have ever become involved in, so lt’s hear from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I am a daytime volunteer with Phoenix FM and I would recommend it based on my experience. I found the staff and other volunteers to be very supportive. I believe that there will be an official launch of the daytime schedule shortly.

• Advertisement

Great plug P. I am another volunteer with a daytime show on Phoenix FM and I would love to have interviews with interesting locals (including members of local bands).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

what exactly you need to have/to do/to make as a ...daytime volunteer !??
    i am a techie but not sure how i can assist !!

Tia

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

what exactly you need to have/to do/to make as a ...daytime volunteer !??
    i am a techie but not sure how i can assist !!

Tia

You just need to have an interest in the Dublin 15 area and the community. They will offer training in broadcasting. If you have technical skills you will be welcomed with open arms. I am presenting a weekly programme on Phoenix and enjoy it. I wish to become more technical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

is there any need for night time volunteers

• Advertisement

is there any need for night time volunteers

I would expect that they would be delighted to have volunteers for nighttime as well as daytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

joolsveer wrote: »
    You just need to have an interest in the Dublin 15 area and the community. They will offer training in broadcasting. If you have technical skills you will be welcomed with open arms. I am presenting a weekly programme on Phoenix and enjoy it. I wish to become more technical though.

i've sent an email with my details,i'm an IT Consultant,not sure how can i help but i reckon is time to give somethng back to D15 after so many years around...
    cheers.

rolion wrote: »
    i've sent an email with my details,i'm an IT Consultant,not sure how can i help but i reckon is time to give somethng back to D15 after so many years around...
    cheers.

I'm involved in IT also. Maybe a problem for PhoenixFM is that they attract mostly white middleclass males as volunteers. How can they represent the whole community?

Hi
    Any of you techie or IT lads able to build a website?

Peter

Hi

I am producing a show on a Tuesday morning from 10 to 11.30 on Phoenix FM. We are looking for anyone of any age who is emigrating within the next few months or indeed if you know someone who has emigrated in the last few months. We want to interview them and we can ring overseas if necessary.

Drop me a pm with ur number & I'll get back to you

cheers

Peter

Steed wrote: »
    Hi
    Any of you techie or IT lads able to build a website?

Peter

Not a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

One of the best things I've ever done is volunteer with Phoenix FM. We had our ups and down but, with the nature of the show we did, that was always going to happen.

If you're at all interested in radio, or even if you're not but feel you have something to share with the community, do it in a heartbeat. You won't look back.

The Phoenix FM website needs an overhaul and I was wondering if any of you guys know someone in the community willing to take it on as a project? Or indeed take it on yourself.
    Once up and running it could be handed over to volunteers to keep up to date.
    It needs, schedules, links to each show, general Info, podcasts, pictures, listen live(down the road a bit maybe), contact page with drop-down menu for each show host
    Online form for booking out the Marantz (equipment)
    Online form for booking studio timeslots

Probably gonna be told this is a full time job. If so how much are we looking at?

P

Phoenix FM is proud to officially launch their documentary, “From the Vatican to the Strawberry Beds – An Irish Diplomat’s Family in Wartime Rome”.

This documentary, made by Dr Garvan Browne, under the Sound and Vision Scheme, narrates the life and times of the Irish folk singer Delia Murphy. Originally from Co Mayo, she spent World War II in the Vatican, with her husband, the diplomat, Thomas Kiernan. She travelled extensively with him before she finally returned to Ireland to live in the Strawberry Beds.

This 2 part series of programmes interposes the most significant war in history, with the life of Delia, her beautiful voice and the music itself. Phoenix FM, invite their listeners to tune in on Saturday 16 July 2011 from 5.30pm to 6.30pm on 92.5FM.

5935957831_4560c7af5e_o.jpg
    Dr Orlagh Browne, daughter of Delia Murphy.

5935958049_92cbe157fc_o.jpg
    Dr Garvan Browne

• Advertisement

6111214533_87663fb078_o.jpg

Paul, Del and Mick are the presenters of D15 Today on Wednesdays between 10:00 and 11:30.

Advertisement