Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler about to go into first big girl bed - should I leave a light on?

• 09-06-2011 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi everyone

My 2 years and 10 month old daughter is going from her cot to a toddler bed this weekend.

I will put a gate up at the top of the stairs but i was wondering what you do about lights? We currently dont leave lights on so think if i left the landing light on it would disturb her sleep (and mine!) so what should i do? Maybe put a lamp out on the landing with a very small wattage? Or should i leave the lights off and teach her to call me instead of getting out of bed?

Whats best in your opinion?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would continue exactly as before with the only difference being that she is in a bed.
    Do you nappies on her for bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

Yes at the moment she still wears pull ups to bed.
    She's fully trained otherwise so would like to do night training soon after she settles into the new bed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would leave the bathroom door open and the light on in there for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I'd say do whatever you already do. If she's used to no lights, then continue that way. She's used to it, and making anything weird will highlight the new setting to her.

Like Moonbeam said, I'd suggest the bathroom nightlight once she's out of pull ups, but introduce that light to her as a way she can see in case she needs to do a nighttime wee...not as a nighttime comfort.

Advertisement