Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting dog neutured - looking for alternative to cone

• 09-06-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Getting my dog neutured next week, i remember seeing an alternative to the plastic cone somewhere but cannot remember where.
    any advice on where to buy the soft cone?

I cant imagine he'd be in any way content wearing the lampshade :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

• Registered Users Posts: 39 alison_q

ah brilliant, thanks!

has anyone ever used these? are they worth getting?

...also, how long will he have to wear the cone for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I never used a cone on my dog when he was neutered. Got it done on a Thurs, took Fri off and just kept a good eye on him. My vet thinks they only add to trauma of having been operated on. My dog did lick his wound a little but once he started to get a bit obsessive, I just stopped him. His wound was spotless and uninfected when it came to getting his stitches out. It took time out of my week but it was worth it for a calm and happy dog. It's just an alternative and obviously wouldn't suit everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I also never used a cone when my cats or the dog was neutered, just kept an eye on them and stopped them when they licked lots, never had an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Had the big fella done a month or so ago and the vet told us not to bother with the cone so we didn't. The main thing is to keep an eye on them, if they're overly licking you might need a cone. The cone just seems to stress them out, and our other dog would probably have pulled it off him if he had one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

My baby has just been spayed, she's still in at the vets. I have a plastic cone but I'm also trying to think of alternatives.
    I came across this
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/first_aid/206843
    It looks like it could be handy and solves the problem of other dogs in the house trying to lick the wound. Anyone know if any of the pet shops stock them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

mosi wrote: »
    My baby has just been spayed, she's still in at the vets. I have a plastic cone but I'm also trying to think of alternatives.
    I came across this
    It looks like it could be handy and solves the problem of other dogs in the house trying to lick the wound. Anyone know if any of the pet shops stock them?

Unless your dog is used to having clothes being put on, I wouldn't even consider that, could stress her out needlessly. Still looks cute though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

we didnt bother with a cone when we got our dog neutured, maybe we were just lucky but he didnt bother with his stitches at all, was just sitting very gingerly for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

mosi wrote: »
    I came across this
    i made one of those out of those fluffy socks for my jack russell when she was spayed, she went mad with cone on, so it had to come off, she let the sock on, i put holes for legs either end, she is a small jrt, and she was happy in it, guess it kept her snug as it was wintertime, frosty then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I used to just put on a cone at night when we wern't around to supervise. Otherwise a close eye and an "Ah ah!" when they start thinking about licking does the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

he's a cavalier king charles mix.
    about 8kg, kinda long n lean.

i dont know about not having him with anything on as he's is kind of a licker anyway!! but in saying that, he's a very nervous dog so putting anything on him definitely will stress him out.

i am at a complete loss for what to do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I didn't bother with a cone with mine. She was fine... an "ah ah" everytime I saw her licking was enough to stop her. I don't know how much she licked at night but obviously not enough to do any harm anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

We never needed to use those cones (hate them with a passion :rolleyes:) and never had any problems.

Maybe get one just incase as you may need to use one at night when they are left alone - is it a male or female? Id be a bit more cautious with a female!

My brothers cat however took out her own stitches :eek: Thankfully she must have been healed when she did it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

alison_q wrote: »
    he's a cavalier king charles mix.
    about 8kg, kinda long n lean.

i dont know about not having him with anything on as he's is kind of a licker anyway!! but in saying that, he's a very nervous dog so putting anything on him definitely will stress him out.

i am at a complete loss for what to do!!

Just the normal plastic cone that he can see through might be the best idea, if you need it your vet can probably supply it. Definitely don't go buying the comfy cone thing anyone, the one I got has never been used and is still sitting at the bottom of the toybox :rolleyes:. If you want it you can PM me your address and I'll post it to you on Monday.

Just the normal plastic cone that he can see through might be the best idea, if you need it your vet can probably supply it. Definitely don't go buying the comfy cone thing anyone, the one I got has never been used and is still sitting at the bottom of the toybox :rolleyes:. If you want it you can PM me your address and I'll post it to you on Monday.

if you could that'd be great. as i'll be in work i cant guarantee that he wont be at it. at least this way i could have something semi comfortable on him while im not around to keep an eye at it

will pm my address

Advertisement