Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikko Stirling Nighteater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I have a gold crown 4-12x42 on my .22. I find it good but i dont know if i'd put it on a cf rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I have a 1" 6-24x44 with the LRX reticle on my 22.
    Welcome to have a look if ya like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I had a 6-24 x 56mm version with 30mm Tube in mildot and a big huge side focus wheel.
    Someone once said to me they were made for Air Rifles rather than rimfire/centerfire rifles. hence the big adjustment wheel that can be put on the side turret, someone else told me they were made to hunt vermin like Kangaroos in Australia!

I found the scope nice! and clear but when target shooting at the 50m range
    on a sunny day I got Chromatic aberration and while this did not affect accuracy it was just darn annoying and an unwanted distraction so much so that I switched to a Leupold. Also I noticed when at the range when the light was going and it was heading toward evening time that a much cheaper Tasco scope on a buddies rifle was much clearer
    despite the objective lens being only 40mm and the tube being 1inch.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

bullets wrote: »
    I found the scope nice! and clear but when target shooting at the 50m range
    on a sunny day I got Chromatic aberration and while this did not affect accuracy it was just darn annoying and an unwanted distraction.....

~B

I'll second this actually. Same thing on mine. On a sunny day, the closer your looking in the general direction of the sun, the worse too. Bit of a PITA when shooting at sunset if its setting behind your target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Has anyone used or looked through one of these? http://www.nikkostirling.com/Content/PlatinumNighteater/Nighteater.htm
    i was thinking of puting one on my .223 not sure which model.
    they get mixed reviews online they brits seem to like then.

Feidhlim,
    How much are you looking to spend? You will find it hard to beat the Burris Fullfield II or the Nikon Prostaff in cost/quality performance.

I have a NightEater. It came with my Howa 223 as a package deal. I shoot in the states so conditions are ideal. It is only used in the day time and on the smaller caliber mentioned. For what I ask of it, it does great. However, I have never tried her in the field at sun up or sun down.

They are fine if: the budget is tight, you just need some glass, you are new, or bench shoot under good conditions.

A true scope shows its value at sun up or sun down. Also, if there's a bit of frost on the ground, cheap scopes give up the ghost.

Don't pay a lot for this scope. Let us know what price you are quoted.

If you are really interested and can wait a few days, I will test the Burris, Nikon, and Nighteater at sun up, sun down, and under a lamp. Let me know...

Slan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

I need it for the .223 for lamping, the scope i have at the moment is buggered waseted a box of ammo making 3inch groups at 100m.

Short story im broke from collage and need a scope withont spending a whole lot.
    Any ideas?:confused:

Feidhlim,
    Throw out a number so we can give you advice. It may be a good deal, depends on the price.

At what max range are you shooting? What magnification are you looking for.

The scope will be fine, if bought at the right price.

I remember my college days well, I couldn't afford a firearm let alone scopes. I think that's why I am, shall we say overcompensating nowadays.:o

Have a look at the Redfield scopes as well - they are made under Leupold.

i saw a 4-16x50 model on ebay for 150 pounds stirling, at the moment 200 is the budget.

what about the bushnell trophy xtl?

i saw a 4-16x50 model on ebay for 150 pounds stirling, at the moment 200 is the budget.

what about the bushnell trophy xtl?

Nope, this is not a £150 scope. At that price you are into the good scopes: Burris, Nikon, Bushnell, and Redfield.

Your 200 limit is € or £?

what do you mean its not a 150 scope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 jmcp

I have been looking at buying one of these scopes, but I have also been looking at the hawke sidewinder and I am not sure which one is the best, I like the half mildot on the hawke, though the nikko has an extended mildot, I think it comes down which has the best glass for the money. of that i am not sure.

i have a hawke map pro on my .22 great scope, not so good in low light but good under the lamp

i reckon im going to just go for it i mean whats the worst that can happen, a scope that doesnt hold zero. they have a one year warranty so if it goes wrong so be it

what do you mean its not a 150 scope
    Feidhlim,
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant that scope should not cost ₤150. That's about $250, correct? I would not pay that money for this scope.

For that cash, you can pick up a nice Nikon, choose the BDC reticle and you are still under $200.

An even better scope, by Burris, is a quantum leap over the Nighteater.

What part of the capital do you live in? Are you far from Ráth Luirc? How about the Franciscan?

***************** edit*****************

I need some screws for my Howa 1500 and was taken to Legacy Sports. They must have a deal with Stirling scopes. Have a look here.

The 3-20x42 is on sale for just under $99.00. That's about the price I would pay. You may wish to contact them to see if they ship abroad. The flyer says the will not ship to Canada...

Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cork shooter

i have a 6-24 x50 nikon on a 223 . would not recomend them at all. scope came with rifle in a package deal.there are better scopes out there as mentioned above. i am local to you if you want a look through it. pm me and we can meet up.

i have a 6-24 x50 nikon on a 223 . would not recomend them at all. scope came with rifle in a package deal.there are better scopes out there as mentioned above. i am local to you if you want a look through it. pm me and we can meet up.
    Corcaigh,
    Which Nikon do you have and what do you dislike about it.

I am in the states right now and just picked up a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40mm with the BDC for under $200. I have nothing bad to say about it and would recommend it any day.

Kudos to the companies such as Burris and Nikon that make, as we call it, the $200 scope. That's a special price range in the states.

There aren't many companies out there that can be bothered making a great scope at a great price.

The Burris Fullfield is probably the best scope per dollar out there. Have a look at this scope for under $200. I absolutely love this reticle.

scope i have is a nikko stirling platinum nighteater6-24 x56.despite huge front lens, its poor in low light conditions.parallax is also a big problem with scope.i tested this with rifle set up on fixed rest and cross hairs were moving despite adjusting parallax turret to correct range .this does not help with accuracy. the parallex adjustment knob also has a lot of play in it and feels cheap as does the two target turrets.not a possitive click like a leupold or a better scope.just my opinion but i would not recomend the above scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

scope i have is a nikko stirling platinum nighteater6-24 x56.

Cork shooter, This is not a Nikon!

Nikon and Nikko are two very different companies AFAIK.

The Nikon is a much better scope with high quality optics.

good point fish and well noticed. original post was asking opinion of the nikko stirliing. dont know any thing about nikon scopes if they are different companys.hope i have,nt offended "mr nikkon "and his best ......

Advertisement