Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai cookbook

Options
  • 09-06-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

i want to expand my thai cooking list beyond red and green curry, so could anyone recomend a good authentic thai cook book

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I'd love to find out one too! Id love to improve my Thai cooking which at the moment is limited to the the curries youve mentioned and stirfrys w/ variations of lemongrass, ginger lime and fish sauce.

Surely theres more to thai than that?

What would typical thai veg be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Thai Food by David Thompson. Bible. Thai Food is part history, part cookbook. To understand the reasons why thai food is a diverse and complex culture, Thompson sets out the development of the food history of Thailand. Its a large part of the book, so don't be surprised if you buy it. The recipes are authentic, with many starting from scratch - the pastes, sauces, condiments and side plates, but if you substitute shop bought pastes and sauces where possible, then the recipes can be very accessible. In fact, you may have little choice as many of the ingredients will be difficult to source in all but the largest of cities.

A slightly different recommendation, Spice by Christine Manfield. This collection of recipes includes dishes from Thailand, China, Mexico, India, Sri Lanka, Malayasia, Singapore and the Windies. Ingredients are much more accessible and the style is contemporary.

See if you can find either of these on the shelves of a bookshop and have a browse before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Minder wrote: »
    Thai Food by David Thompson. Bible. Thai Food is part history, part cookbook. To understand the reasons why thai food is a diverse and complex culture, Thompson sets out the development of the food history of Thailand. Its a large part of the book, so don't be surprised if you buy it. The recipes are authentic, with many starting from scratch - the pastes, sauces, condiments and side plates, but if you substitute shop bought pastes and sauces where possible, then the recipes can be very accessible. In fact, you may have little choice as many of the ingredients will be difficult to source in all but the largest of cities.

I have this and I love it. I love just looking at the picture (and its a really pretty colour pink on the outside).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

David Thompson also as an oversized book called Thai Street Food which i really love....

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

david thompson would seem to be the man then.
    i have had a look at a few book review sites and all seem to give the thumbs up, but what would put me off is that the ingredients would seem to be hard to get:(. has anyone who has the book found it hard to get the ingredients? bearing in mind that i have no asian supermarket close to me only dunnes, tesco and super value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Advertisement