Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you happy with English Paper 2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    i picked frustration as well haha.

Me too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

It went great for me.

I only studied the 3 female poets in detail.
    I done Dickenson in the Exam.

The Hamlet question was okay but I couldnt remember any quotes eek. I just went blank and the Comparative was good.

The unseen poem was very easy. I chose love for the emotion.

I wrote a total of 17 pages.

I think it went much better than I had planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It was good enough...certainly not hard. Some of the questions were worded slightly weirdly imo but apart from that it was grand.

I also picked frustration for the emotion but I only got just over a page done for that, would have liked to do more.

Fairly happy it must be said. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

I didn't think it was a nice paper at all!

2 out of the 4 poets I studied came up. (No Hopkins or Wordsworth :mad: I'd studied them better!)
    Unseen poem I said despair.
    Hamlet questions were dreadful, did Claudius because I looked over that once this morning. Never did a theme question before.
    Cultural context was brilliant though! So happy with that one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭rockycoolness22

Everything I predicted for myself came up
    Claudius, Theme and Boland
    but I found the questions on each pretty tough!
    Happy enough though but dont want to jinx it!
    Liked the unseen!
    What did y'all think of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

I thought paper 2 was a really nice paper....did the Claudius question...cultural context Q2(a)+(b) , unseen Q1(a)+(b) and Dickinson.... didn't really like the comparative but over a nice paper though:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

I left out the biggest shout of joy when I saw Bolands name in that lovely bold print! So delighted, as for the other questions I think I did ok. Unseen Poetry was a BEAUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

What did ye say for Frost's poetry? i talked about the human and artistic concerns in the poem.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

dillo2k10 wrote: »

You're mad! I wrote 3.5 for Hamlet, 4.5 for the comparative, 3 for poetry and 1 fr unseen poetry. So if my calculations are correct,thats 12! 17 is madness! Your hand must be fallin off ya

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

here's a fun fact: your page total for paper 2 is the same as my page total for both exams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Cawcheen wrote: »
    Paper 2.. WHAT A BEAUTY!!!

Out of curiosity, what did everybody else say for the main emotion in the unseen poem..?

I said frustration :o

Ditto :D

What'd you say was the line that impressed you most?

Overall that was a gorgeous paper.
    Theme of revenge was great for hamlet and then linking that with how the all achieved justice in their acts of revenge was pretty nifty (I hope!)

Comparitive was tricky enough for coming up with a "lesson" to go along with the theme but after 5 and a half pages I think I got my point across :cool:

Poetry was absolutly beautiful, Emily Dickinson question was really great. Just got to say that her poems gave us an interesting insight into the mind of someone with depression :) Couldn't have asked for a nicer question!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Beautiful. I had already done the questions on Frost and Clauidius. The Comparative question was lovely. Waffled a bit in the Unseen poetry because I had so little time left but overall good paper. Filled the whole booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Did yeats what did people say for the hamlet question on claudius.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

C__ wrote: »
    What did ye say for Frost's poetry? i talked about the human and artistic concerns in the poem.

Spoke about how the poems are preoccupied with nature but they mainly concern darker issues such as despair, death and the lack of a caring god. But different poems have different layers. The poems I included were ''Mending Wall'' ''The tuft of flowers'' ''out,out'' and ''Design''

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

C__ wrote: »

Just talked about the different meanings and interpretations of his poems.

Did Frost - lovely question
    Unseen poem - meh, used frustration as the emotion.
    Comparative: CC, was a wierd question but I think it went well.
    Hamlet: Revenge/Justice, did.not.like.

Cawcheen wrote: »
    You're mad! I wrote 3.5 for Hamlet, 4.5 for the comparative, 3 for poetry and 1 fr unseen poetry. So if my calculations are correct,thats 12! 17 is madness! Your hand must be fallin off ya

It is, my hand is killing me. Tumb feels like its going to fall off.
    What'd you say was the line that impressed you most?

I used the first two lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Vodkat wrote: »
    Spoke about how the poems are preoccupied with nature but they mainly concern darker issues such as despair, death and the lack of a caring god. But different poems have different layers. The poems I included were ''Mending Wall'' ''The tuft of flowers'' ''out,out'' and ''Design''

I wrote bout the human concerns like evil forces and stuff and artistic concerns like poetic process and stuff looking back kinda seems wrong to me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Revenge and Justice was brilliant. Just take character by character.

Comparative went well, 5 solid pages of C's.

For poetry 4 poets I studies came up! Despite Frost being my favourite, I did the Dickinson question which was quite arkward but from doing so many essays and knowing the poems it went reasonably well.

After getting about a C minimum on paper 1 hopefully paper 2 brings me upto a B!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

I really hope they don't mark it awfully now since it was so nice! D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

254990_221229067895026_100000238036483_874085_4624286_n.jpg
    Yup, very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

anyone use wonder for the emotion in the unseen poem?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It went great for me.

I only studied the 3 female poets in detail.
    I done Dickenson in the Exam.

The Hamlet question was okay but I couldnt remember any quotes eek. I just went blank and the Comparative was good.

The unseen poem was very easy. I chose love for the emotion.

I think it went much better than I had planned.

So did I. The person next to me wrote more than 25. And she has the smallest writing in the year. Either she skipped a load of pages...made her writing bigger (a lot lot bigger) or she can write faster than any normal human. :eek:

(That is an assumption based on the fact there are 25 pages in a booklet and she asked for a second one, I didn't actually ask her :P)

The justice part of the Hamlet question was a tiny bit tricky, I wasn't sure what to put in at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Any 1 do yeats?? Thoughts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Wordsworth and hopkins didn't come up for me. Wanted to die starting my hamlet essay coz of it. But wrote a preety decent essay on Yeats from memory and the favourites (dickinson, boland and frost) came up so hopefully Yeats will be marked easier *prays*

cultural context question fitted beautifully too :) so i'm happy (even though half way through the exam i hated myself).

Fireball07 wrote: »
    So did I. The person next to me wrote more than 25. And she has the smallest writing in the year. Either she skipped a load of pages...made her writing bigger (a lot lot bigger) or she can write faster than any normal human. :eek:

(That is an assumption based on the fact there are 25 pages in a booklet and she asked for a second one, I didn't actually ask her :P)

I asked for a third one. But I dont write on the back of pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 eveyn

so i was delighted she came up but the question was weird what did yous rwrite for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Befor I start to over analyse, I'll tell you what I thought when I came out of the exam hall..

EEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKK YAAAAYYY!! :D

Mainly because English was over for good..

SINGLE TEXT

The Grapes of Wrath. I did Q1 abot Jim Casy being the embodiment of Steinbecks theories.

I went on about humanism, Emmersonian concept of the oversoul (hope to God thats right) and strength in unity. Found myself rambling a bit towards the end

COMPARATIVE
    I did CC Q1. Felt a bit of a to0l saying "this made me feel uncomfortable" all the time. What sh1te English!

UNSEEN POEM
    Was rushing for time. Did Q1 part i) I said frustration. Part ii) I used the first two lines and wrote a load of dung about personification, euphony, metahhors and alliteration

PRESCRIBED POETRY
    Yay for Dickinson :) I only studied her and I actually almost jumped for joy when I saw her. Only discussed 4 poems though, and the last one was very brief!

All in all, I fels happy coming out, looking back now is useless because I'll just go crazy!

Was writing till the superintendant literally had to GRAB my paper off me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Hamlet, Claudius question. I focused on his negative aspects somewhat though I did say they outweighed his positive aspects. Though I made sure to balance every negative with a positive

Comparative, I think I did it right. I did the two part theme, where you take one text first and the other two second. Is it ok to mention the text from part (i) in part (ii)? Otherwise, it was brilliant.

Dickinson, OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU DICKINSON TAKE ME NOW

Unseen, After Dickinson, I had so much poetic BS in my head that it all just flowed out. I did the personal response. Never felt as confident about one before, near full marks maybe?

All in all. BEST. POSSIBLE. PAPER. Aside from my (possible) f**k up in paper one, and comparative interpretation may be a bit off. I *might* be kinda hoping for an A2. Though a B1 would be LURVLEY.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

EmacB wrote: »
    anyone use wonder for the emothion in the unseen poem?

I thought I was the only one for a min :O

Is it wrong though ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

B-E-A-Utiful paper. That is all.

Advertisement