Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you happy with English Paper 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

EmacB wrote: »
    anyone use wonder for the emothion in the unseen poem?
    I used curiosity, same sorta thing

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

It was a nice paper, Took me the 3:20 though! How the f*ck did everyone finish so early though?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

Everyone here seems to think it was a great paper including myself...but when I asked others in my class what they thought of it they said that it was awful.... I genuinely thought it was a lovely paper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Well dones to yiz. Sounds like ye got it easier than we did last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Let's be honest, that was the kindest paper anybody could have expected. Are they therefore gonna mark it harder than they would have lets say last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Amazing paper. I got effin lucky with Frost. Was delighted when I saw Claudius come up and the Comparative was grand as well. I practically jumped for joy when i opened the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The fact that the poets people thought would come up, actually came up does not make it an easy paper. Can't really see how this paper is any different to previous years tbh, some people got away with only studying Boland, but I doubt that many people did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

pajero12 wrote: »
    It was a nice paper, Took me the 3:20 though! How the f*ck did everyone finish so early though?

I know some people in my exam centre walked out after 2 hours only.
    I had 5 minutes to spare at the end to quickly read over any spelling mistakes.

Regarding Frost, what poem did you guys discuss? I did The Tuft of Flowers, Mending Wall and The Road not taken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Well dones to yiz. Sounds like ye got it easier than we did last year!
    Or maby we are just better than the 2010 group :P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

My number one choice was Hopkins, was a bit displaced that he didn't appear, and although I'd studied 3 out of the other 4 well, I got bogged down and feel overall my paper let me down. Not happy, I hope it's not marked hard.

I also think people saw the poet's name but didn't focus on the content on the question. From what I heard around my school, people were just writing personal responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The prescribed and unseen poetry questions were quite nice.

Hamlet and the Comparative were completely unexpected though. I did the revenge and justice theme question for Hamlet which in retrospect went reasonably well.

The Comparative was nasty though. Not one nice question on the paper. I ended up doing the cultural context question about how the cultural context of a text can make the reader feel uncomfortable. I think I managed to do it reasonably well save for the fact that I repeated the words "discomfort" "uncomfortable" "disquiet" "ill at ease" "uneasy" in almost every single paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Oh wow that pass paper was great. Im hoping I get at least a B. I should to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ciff

I think we can all agree that it was a very fair and doable paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Iceboy wrote: »
    I know some people in my exam centre walked out after 2 hours only.
    I had 5 minutes to spare at the end to quickly read over any spelling mistakes.

Regarding Frost, what poem did you guys discuss? I did The Tuft of Flowers, Mending Wall and The Road not taken

Did you only do three poems. We were always told write about 6 poems and quote from at least 4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Vodkat wrote: »
    I am on top of the world at the moment, my fingers are in pain but im just too happy to care. LOVED the unseen poem!!!
    I'd read the unseen poem before. :D Can't remember if it's in either Poetry Now or an old mock paper.

I was delighted, the Hamlet essay (I did the Claudius one) wasn't what I was hoping for but I think I dealt with it quite well. Frost came up in the poetry, and had a very pleasant question. Was a bit caught for time but I managed to hastily conclude it.

Overall, a very pleasant English P1 and P2 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Could not be happier with the paper, could be happier with my own studying though. :rolleyes:

Frost is my favourite poem, and when the question was about reading his poetry on different levels, I nearly cried with joy!

Hamlet questions were exactly as I predicted, C&C + T&I came up so thumbs up again for boards.ie predictions.

It's pretty amazing to see 1/3 of people couldn't be happier with the paper!

:D

Basically, everything I predicted, and everything I wanted (as in first preference) came up!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

actaully, how many poems did you guys refer to? I ran outta time so only done 3 in detail and a quick paragraph on my favourite/4th..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 eveyn

what did yous write for the Boland question ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grandfinale

Right so everybody is in their celebrations about paper 2 but there are a few things that you are forgetting. If the paper is as easy as everyone makes it out to be , which i thought it was aswell then we are going to be marked harder. The examiner is gonna look for something out of the ordinary to mark in the A grades. Sorry to disappoint but thats the truth

Secondly i really didn't understand the relief that people felt when they saw the poet. Yes you can get screwed over if you only know one but still you dont hear anyone cry a sign of relief when they realise theres a theme and issue question in the comparative.

And lastly everyone should stop celebrating and move on to their next exam its not our job to analyze the paper it will be next years leaving cert class wanting to predict things from looking at ours.

Haha rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Just a gauge on what people picked for the paper. . .

Meself, did Dickenson, Comparative cult context q2, Claudius, and the personal response for the unseen. . .quite nice paper, but suspect I did a better pre. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

biggaman wrote: »
    actaully, how many poems did you guys refer to? I ran outta time so only done 3 in detail and a quick paragraph on my favourite/4th..

I done Dickinson and I referred to 5 poems:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

biggaman wrote: »
    I did five in detail and a mention of a sixth for Dickinson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Or maby we are just better than the 2010 group :P:D

Anyone would be with the most predictable paper in the world. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i didn't get the paper finished, and i was writing like a mad one and all. oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

Regret as the emotion in the unseen anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

Was happy with it overall. Comparitive questions were a bit tricky in my opinion though. Also what exactly did the Boland question mean by 'precise use of language'. A lot of people were delighted that Boland came up but I'm not sure how they dealt with the question asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

Frost, Cultural Context Q1, personal response to unseen and Hamlet: theme of justice/revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The paper isnt easy just because of which poets come up. Dont see how that paper differed much from previous years tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Did you only do three poems. We were always told write about 6 poems and quote from at least 4

I usually do 4 but time was against me, still managed to describe the poems in great details tho, wrote a good 3 1/2 for the frost question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Claudius
    theme/issue 2 part question (valuable lessons)
    Unseen personal response part b
    Dickinson :D

Advertisement