Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you happy with English Paper 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

BazDel wrote: »
    Was happy with it overall. Comparitive questions were a bit tricky in my opinion though. Also what exactly did the Boland question mean by 'precise use of language'. A lot of people were delighted that Boland came up but I'm not sure how they dealt with the question asked.

Have to agree with you.... I looked at the Boland Question but I didn't know how I could make that work so I did Dickinson instead:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Iceboy wrote: »
    I know some people in my exam centre walked out after 2 hours only.
    I had 5 minutes to spare at the end to quickly read over any spelling mistakes.

Regarding Frost, what poem did you guys discuss? I did The Tuft of Flowers, Mending Wall and The Road not taken

Mending Wall, Tuft of Flowers, Design, Birches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

A Whistle in the Dark - Heroism/Honour
    Cultural Context - values and attitudes
    Unseen Poem - Personal Response
    Dickinson :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

I done Dickinson and I referred to 5 poemssmile.gif
    I did five in detail and a mention of a sixth for Dickinson.
    Actually I wrote about 2 pages outlining Dickinson's "original style" at the start, I thought it was a good idea? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

hunii07 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you.... I looked at the Boland Question but I didn't know how I could make that work so I did Dickinson instead:D

Haha I did exactly the same :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

Can't believ i'm going to say it but : I ENJOYED IT ! Very nice paper :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

C__ wrote: »
    Mending Wall, Tuft of Flowers, Design, Birches.

Birches, Out Out-, Provide Provide, Mending Wall and The Road Not Taken.

Did the essay poem by poem (never did that before) with the poems in that order. Quoted all except Provide Provide as I don't know it that well!

Most of the girls in my school did Dickinson so I'm hoping my essay will be a bit of a change for the examiner! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

WHOHO!

Everybody started shouting and roaring around the place when we saw the poets, haha. You could hear everyone upstairs too banging tables, the examiner told us to shut up though :D

I did Boland. I just spat out my pre-cooked essay. 6 pages.
    I did the part A in Hamlet. nice enough. 6 pages
    Unseen was OK. 1 page
    Comparative study. I was dead by the time I got there, so just 3 pages.

My hand is gone purple now though ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Birches, Out Out-, Provide Provide, Mending Wall and The Road Not Taken.

Did the essay poem by poem (never did that before) with the poems in that order. Quoted all except Provide Provide as I don't know it that well!

Its a bad Idea to go poem by poem as it ends up reading like 4/5/6 different mini essays but generally you shouldn't loose marks for it :)

Haha I did exactly the same :p

How'd you find the paper over all ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Its a bad Idea to go poem by poem as it ends up reading like 4/5/6 different mini essays.
    Don't say that to the poor lad! (or girl) In fairness its the exact same as going theme by theme, you just link the poems like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    It's a bad Idea to go poem by poem as it ends up reading like 4/5/6 different mini essays.

I usually avoid it because admittedly it does seem amateur but when I saw the question I didn't know how to do it the other way as I was going to focus mainly on theme.

That being said I did link each paragraph to each other so it wasn't so abrupt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Comparative completely knocked me off course... was only left with 15 minutes to answer on poetry. Bye bye A1....

How'd you find the paper over all ?

It was good except for the comparitive questions which I found tricky. I'm pretty sure I did grand though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

What happened you in paper 1?! :(
    Misinterpreted a question slightly... I think.

The talk about the mysterious in books, I did a talk about the mystery genre.

Don't know if its going to be marked down or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

kahf1_01 wrote: »
    I did Boland. I just spat out my pre-cooked essay. 6 pages.

The Leaving Cert,such a bad system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Am i the only one that thought it was a b!tch.
    wat the fup was justice doin in the hamlet theme q???
    comparative. fup sake... a lesson u learn from the theme and how the cul con makes u uncomfortable. where was how the cul con impacts on the characters lik??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

poetry was the only good section. frost q was very nice but i knew boland better so i did her even tho everyone has done her.

ANNOYED!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 eveyn

Can somebody please tell me what they were expecting for the Boland question

It was good except for the comparitive questions which I found tricky. I'm pretty sure I did grand though :)

yea I thought the cc on the comparitive was a lil tricky... and I'm a repeat so was worrying about hamlet...but I couldnt have asked for a nicer hamlet question ..the two that came up are the only two I've done all year..

yea I thought the cc on the comparitive was a lil tricky... and I'm a repeat so was worrying about hamlet...but I couldnt have asked for a nicer hamlet question ..the two that came up are the only two I've done all year..

Ya the Claudius question is exactly what I was looking for so I was delighted when I saw that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

NotExactly wrote: »
    The Leaving Cert,such a bad system.

yeah true. but who cares, people will do whatever it takes to get the points. the next subject (maths) is going to reward me big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cara_

Keen2win wrote: »
    Regret as the emotion in the unseen anyone?

Yep I said regret, was beginning to think I was the only one!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MikeHough wrote: »
    .:
    Mike (and others) ... I know everyone is hyper at the moment, but a gentle reminder that this site has a "No textspeak!" policy.

While I wouldn't be cracking the whip on it too hard on a day like to-day, some posts are keeping me guessing as to which language is actually being used!! :p

p.s. and if I see any more exchanges like that one, there will be bans handed out, exam day or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 eveyn

please answer my question haha what was expected in the Boland essay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shelbourneTID

Awful question. What did ye say? Do metaphors count as precise language?

Ya the Claudius question is exactly what I was looking for so I was delighted when I saw that. :)

I went straight to the poetry section didn't like the boland so looked at dickinson....lovely question then looked at hamlet q's seen claudius... I'm telling you I couldn't stop smiling when I seen the two of those :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I think the Frost essay was the best, it was pretty much just like a personal response question loooved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Cawcheen wrote: »
    Paper 2.. WHAT A BEAUTY!!!

Out of curiosity, what did everybody else say for the main emotion in the unseen poem..?

I said frustration :o

Same here!:D I really liked that poem exactly! Everything was grand delighted when Frost came up, though the CC question knocked me off a bit and had to do the two part which I wasn't delighted about in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Iceboy wrote: »
    I think the Frost essay was the best, it was pretty much just like a personal response question loooved :D

What did you write about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Either i did that question perfectly or terribly because i found it to be a lot easier than people in my year were saying... metaphors would be language.. i just went poem by poem, seeing as it talked about reflective insight it means history and thats what she writes about so lets say in "this moment" i talked about the simple but precise language she uses which mirrors the insight that extraordinary things are often found in seemingly ordinary places. So metaphors, similes and all that wouldn't really come into it. I mentioned them but I tried to avoid it as much as possible.

Advertisement