Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you happy with English Paper 2?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I instantly planned Dickinson, then stopped to look at the Frost question, was a bit indecisive though. Hopefully Dickinson was the right choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

AdamD wrote: »
    The fact that the poets people thought would come up, actually came up does not make it an easy paper. Can't really see how this paper is any different to previous years tbh, some people got away with only studying Boland, but I doubt that many people did that.

Well, as well as the expected poets coming up the Hamlet and comparative were pretty straight forward. Along with the fair paper yesterday I think everyone's pretty delighted with English.......

PJelly wrote: »
    I instantly planned Dickinson, then stopped to look at the Frost question, was a bit indecisive though. Hopefully Dickinson was the right choice!
    Just like in The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

I just did the personal response.
    I wrote how I could relate to it as I like writing poetry, how I understood her feelings and liked the images she used.
    That's all I said except I mentioned alliteration once and something about the flow of the poem.
    My anwer was long and I would consider it good except I now don't think I responded right.
    Was I just supposed to discuss techniques?

Also, did anyone else blatantly lie in the personal response to the unseen? :p
    "As I have tried, and failed to write two books." etc.
    I wrote about how familiar the metaphors for inspiration were, and how they reminded me of the time I was a burgeoning author :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

UN. BE. LIEVABLE!!! the paper was WRITTEN for me, EVERYTHING I studied came up!!! We are a very, very lucky year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

Essay on Claudius was perfect. Q on Dickinson was perfect. Cultural context and "how it made you uncomfortable" however ... struggled with ! Only did setting, relationship and prejudice for each text .. anybody else find it a bit of an odd Q?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Also, did anyone else blatantly lie in the personal response to the unseen? :p
    "As I have tried, and failed to write two books." etc.
    I wrote about how familiar the metaphors for inspiration were, and how they reminded me of the time I was a burgeoning author :p
    Yeah, "I could relate to this poem, because as an aspiring poet, I could understand blah blah blah " :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Frost was awsome,
    Hamlet OK just missing a few quotes,
    comparitive not sure, did theme qustion 1

unseen poem, wtf was that sh!t?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aileen123

Ok I'm freaked now! Couldnt have gone any worse for me! I was really depending on Hopkins and Wordsworth sorta learned Boland so did her but didn't refer to the question hadn't a clue what it meant! Hamlet was a disaster I'd no Claudius done so made up the revenge one said nothing about justice! Then i did the comparative and got the 30 mark done and like a page of the 40 mark! I'm going to fail :(

C__ wrote: »
    What did you write about?
    I just said how somone quickly glancing at it would assume because of his use of everyday laungage that his poems were simple in subject, just nature etc... when really they are deep philosophical, themes like lonliness etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Only got three and a half pages on the comparative..didn't finish it, the uncomfortable thing in cultural context threw me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 eveyn

Either i did that question perfectly or terribly because i found it to be a lot easier than people in my year were saying... metaphors would be language.. i just went poem by poem, seeing as it talked about reflective insight it means history and thats what she writes about so lets say in "this moment" i talked about the simple but precise language she uses which mirrors the insight that extraordinary things are often found in seemingly ordinary places. So metaphors, similes and all that wouldn't really come into it. I mentioned them but I tried to avoid it as much as possible.

i cant really remember what i wrote but it was similar to you. i talked about how in this moment she uses everyday language to reflect on this universal moment. and how in the famine road she uses the language of comparison to join the two poems together. i kind of just waffled on about the metaphor of the horse to reflect her insight into war etc

Aileen123 wrote: »
    Ok I'm freaked now! Couldnt have gone any worse for me! I was really depending on Hopkins and Wordsworth sorta learned Boland so did her but didn't refer to the question hadn't a clue what it meant! Hamlet was a disaster I'd no Claudius done so made up the revenge one said nothing about justice! Then i did the comparative and got the 30 mark done and like a page of the 40 mark! I'm going to fail :(
    revenge is the main theme of hamlet, i just ****ed on about hamlet pursuit of revenge and how it affected those arounfd him, did they deserve to die etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Unreal! I knew all four poets inside out, i had a choice between my two hamlet questions which i had gone over and the cultural context was a beauty! took a good stab at the unseen too! what a paper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

Wuthering Heights: I had a feeling about Cathy ^_^ not sure I answered the question too well though, the "like vs dislike" thing got repetitive really quickly and I think I concentrated on some aspects of the story too much & didn't take the rest into account! Overall not terrible.

Poetry: So mad, Wordsworth where were you?? I could have done A1 answer on him... went for Dickenson instead, it was bit waffly but again, not terrible. Annoyed I didn't go over Yeats last night like I'd planned, had good notes on him as well, and the question was handy enough.

Didn't write enough for the unseen poem I think.

Comparative: LOVED the cultural context question, the entire thing I had planned for that was basically about uncomfortable attitudes. Wrote 7 pages, went really well =]

Anyway, apart from Wordsworth it was a pretty good paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Hope93

Misinterpreted a question slightly... I think.

The talk about the mysterious in books, I did a talk about the mystery genre.

Don't know if its going to be marked down or not.
    Nah you were allowed to do that, I did that as well. I talked about the mystery genre and the appeal it has using the headings (Setting, atmosphere and suspense) Hope it was right anyway :S

Anyway does anyone know for the CC question (i) did you have to constantly refer to the question? I just compared/contrasted the moments that made me feel uncomfortable(Like war, violence and corruption) I never actually said they make me feel uncomfortable I thought you just had to write about the things that made you feel uncomfortable :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Im not sure if if answered the unseen very well.

I talked about how the pen hated being chewed or something like that i didn't have a club tbh prob got like 2 marks out of 20 although i did write a good 3/4 of a page :D i don't mind tho coz im awful at analyzing poems, I have to read notes on them to understand them

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Hope93 wrote: »
    Nah you were allowed to do that, I did that as well. I talked about the mystery genre and the appeal it has using the headings (Setting, atmosphere and suspense) Hope it was right anyway :S

Anyway does anyone know for the CC question (i) did you have to constantly refer to the question? I just compared/contrasted the moments that made me feel uncomfortable(Like war, violence and corruption) I never actually said they make me feel uncomfortable I thought you just had to write about the things that made you feel uncomfortable :/

even though i felt silly writing it, i made sure to say that I/one could find x uncomfortable/unsettling/disconcerting etc..

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    even though i felt silly writing it, i made sure to say that I/one could find x uncomfortable/unsettling/disconcerting etc..
    Ah damn I was contemplating it as well I just basically Compared/contrasted for a whole 4 pages.. Would be happy with 40/70 from that now then.. :(

For the CC question i talked about family life, poverty and male dominance

• Advertisement

Ah damn I was contemplating it as well I just basically Compared/contrasted for a whole 4 pages.. Would be happy with 40/70 from that now then.. :(

well i wouldn't be too despondent about it, it did say to compare the extent of how uncomfortable it made you feel, so i think it'd be possible the gather that, depending on how you compared of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I kept repeating the fact that such and such a key moment made me feel uncomfortable that it must have sounded as if I find reading in general to be uncomfortable :D It's amazing how many different ways you can manage to say "feel uncomfortable" :pac:

well i wouldn't be too despondent about it, it did say to compare the extent of how uncomfortable it made you feel, so i think it'd be possible the gather that, depending on how you compared of course
    Ahh man I feel really bad now :/

I came out of the exam so happy and now I'm finding out I didn't actually do so well..
    I'd be wise to hope for 40/60 for Hamlet, 40/70 for Comparative and 40/70 for Poetry now then.. :(

I kept repeating the fact that such and such a key moment made me feel uncomfortable that it must have sounded as if I find reading in general to be uncomfortable :D It's amazing how many different ways you can manage to say "feel uncomfortable" :pac:
    haha yep. i was impressed with how many synonyms i thought of, but now that you wrote it, i really wish i thought of "uneasy"!
    Ahh man I feel really bad now :/

I came out of the exam so happy and now I'm finding out I didn't actually do so well..
    I'd be wise to hope for 40/60 for Hamlet, 40/70 for Comparative and 40/70 for Poetry now then.. :(

if it makes you feel better, i only wrote just over 3 pages for the comparative!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Hamlet - Lovely Claudius question. I looked over it as I was walking into school (walking and speed reading :p)

Comparative - Theme (i) I felt was a little dodgy. I'm not sure how well I did on that and I was banking on comparative to bring up the average mark.

Poetry - I did Dickinson. I'm a little worried that my response was a little too personal. It did say write your response so I might be ok. I had such a good time writing that essay. It was very personal, I wrote what I thought about her in relation to each point I had and how they related to the essay title. I think I wrote something about how writing about death wasn't a very original thing for a poet to do and she was no Wilfred Owen so her work isn't startling either.

haha yep. i was impressed with how many synonyms i thought of, but now that you wrote it, i really wish i though of "uneasy"!

if it makes you feel better, i only wrote just over 3 pages for the comparative!
    Haha I wish it did, although 120/200 wouldn't be bad seeing as I hope I got 75+ on paper 1!
    I failed P2 in the pre's and still got 60 over all so lol

I thought my unseen went rather well actually. I did the kind of thing that the writers of our poetry book do. Talk such BS but you can't exactly disagree because its their opinion.
    Example
    The consonance on "Tease, trawling" gave the line a bouncy feel and set the rhythm of the poem
    The alliteration on "vowels in your vaporous image" (though the O isn't that noticeable) made the line broader and longer. Also, the broadness of the vowel sounds imitate the broad, all encapsulating aspect to the "vaporous image"
    Oh and the sibilance becomes more pronounced in the second stanza, making it relaxed, esoteric, magic etc. Which echoed the mysterious facets to inspiration.

That's mostly what I talked about, though I feel the rhythm bit might be pushing it :p

Aoifums wrote: »
    Hamlet - Lovely Claudius question. I looked over it as I was walking into school (walking and speed reading :p)

Comparative - Theme (i) I felt was a little dodgy. I'm not sure how well I did on that and I was banking on comparative to bring up the average mark.

Poetry - I did Dickinson. I'm a little worried that my response was a little too personal. It did say write your response so I might be ok. I had such a good time writing that essay. It was very personal, I wrote what I thought about her in relation to each point I had and how they related to the essay title. I think I wrote something about how writing about death wasn't a very original thing for a poet to do and she was no Wilfred Owen so her work isn't startling either.

yeah i wrote about death too, but i said the way in which she writes about death in the first person is quite original. which may or may not be true haha

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Yeah, and I forgot disconcerting :p still used about 4 or 5 different words.

• Advertisement

Aoifums wrote: »

Haha so was I, so glad when I turned the page and saw that question

Advertisement