Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you happy with English Paper 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I did 3 pages on the unseen to try and get as many marks as I could, quality stuff btw not three pages of sh!t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

The Single Text
    Hamlet
    Did the question on theme. It was ok. Last piece I did. Didn't get to finish really. (3.2 Pages)

Comparative Studies
    Theme/Issue
    I was never good at Comparative Studies. Did 3.6 pages of dribble.

Poetry
    Unseen
    Did the personal response question. It was fine. My teacher always told us we can say what we like as long as we back it up/show evidence for our beliefs. (1.5 Pages)
    Prescribed Poetry
    Did the question on Eavan Boland. I. Am. The. Luckiest man alive. I only learned her off this morning. I was an idiot to do that. Quality wise, it was fine. Bit messy here and there. (4 Pages)

PAPER II TOTAL = 12.3 Pages.

Very difficult to predict my result. I'd like a C. It sounds possible. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Hope93

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    yeah i wrote about death too, but i said the way in which she writes about death in the first person is quite original. which may or may not be true haha
    I also wrote about death and I said it was extremely clever of the way she described death and mocked it in 'I Heard a Fly Buzz'

I mainly said though how it was a disturbing theme to read but kept me coming back to find out more about her poems and her as a poet. I also talked about Nature/Hope and Mental Anguish as themes.

I tried to talk as much as about themes as possible without talking in detail about poems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kilo1

o god the smile on my face when i seen the poets come up :D the supervisor prob thought i was nuts ha ha. sittin outside goin over dickinson in case frost didnt come up and then all them come up together :D best paper yet!! :D frosty me aul buddy you save me again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Frost is a legend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

kilo1 wrote: »
    o god the smile on my face when i seen the poets come up :D the supervisor prob thought i was nuts ha ha. sittin outside goin over dickinson in case frost didnt come up and then all them come up together :D best paper yet!! :D frosty me aul buddy you save me again :D

I think I can out-weird you!
    I'm on my own in the exam centre. I was almost crying from nerves before the paper, up to the point where the supervisor gave me a mini pep talk before she gave me the paper. Upon opening the paper I got a :D face on seeing Claudius and giggled from glee when I saw the poets!

HxGH wrote: »
    The Single Text
    Hamlet
    Did the question on theme. It was ok. Last piece I did. Didn't get to finish really. (3.2 Pages)

Comparative Studies
    Theme/Issue
    I was never good at Comparative Studies. Did 3.6 pages of dribble.

Poetry
    Unseen
    Did the personal response question. It was fine. My teacher always told us we can say what we like as long as we back it up/show evidence for our beliefs. (1.5 Pages)
    Prescribed Poetry
    Did the question on Eavan Boland. I. Am. The. Luckiest man alive. I only learned her off this morning. I was an idiot to do that. Quality wise, it was fine. Bit messy here and there. (4 Pages)

PAPER II TOTAL = 12.3 Pages.

Very difficult to predict my result. I'd like a C. It sounds possible. :confused:

The Single Text
    Hamlet
    Did the question on the theme of revenge and the theme of justice. It was far from the best Hamlet question I have ever done, pretty poor tbh, I found it really difficult not to retell the story the whole time because of the way the question was phrased (6 Pages)

Comparative Studies
    Cultural Context
    Felt this went fairly well. Did the question about attitudes making the reader feel uncomfortable. Felt this went really well. (6 pages)

Poetry
    Unseen
    Did the personal response. felt I had to do loads on it to try and get near full marks. I dealt with the images, the language and the techniques then over all why I liked the poem. 4 paragraphs. (3 Pages)
    Prescribed Poetry
    I had a choice of all four pets thankfully, in fact a few of u laughed out loud when we saw it :pac: I ended up doing my question on Dickinson and I felt I got on really well with this, definitely thought it was my best question by far Excessive amount written but it was hard to fit 6 poems and an opening and closing paragraph into 4 pages. (7 Pages)

PAPER II TOTAL = 22 pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Aoifums wrote: »
    I think I can out-weird you!
    I'm on my own in the exam centre. I was almost crying from nerves before the paper, up to the point where the supervisor gave me a mini pep talk before she gave me the paper. Upon opening the paper I got a :D face on seeing Claudius and giggled from glee when I saw the poets!

You probably out-weirded me too, but I went to the toilet to celebrate seeing Dickinson's name on the paper!
    I was terrified she wouldn't be there and I'd be stuck with some inferior poet :p So I didn't look at the poetry section until I'd finished everything. Oh how I smiled...

EDIT: Sorry for saying you were weird :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You probably out-weirded me too, but I went to the toilet to celebrate seeing Dickinson's name on the paper!
    That's an odd way to celebrate... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

The prescribed and unseen poetry questions were quite nice.

Hamlet and the Comparative were completely unexpected though. I did the revenge and justice theme question for Hamlet which in retrospect went reasonably well.

The Comparative was nasty though. Not one nice question on the paper. I ended up doing the cultural context question about how the cultural context of a text can make the reader feel uncomfortable. I think I managed to do it reasonably well save for the fact that I repeated the words "discomfort" "uncomfortable" "disquiet" "ill at ease" "uneasy" in almost every single paragraph.

I found I was more thrown by the value and attitude component to the question. I settled on having religion being the value in society and the attitude of the society reflected in how people are divided and organised into class. Mentioned the uncomfortable part just at the end of every paragraph though, maybe 4 or 5 times in the essay. Very happy with the cultural context question, wrote 6.5 pages and I think I had some original insight and creative comparisons aswell. Hoping for 70/70!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I was terrified she wouldn't be there and I'd be stuck with some inferior poet :p So I didn't look at the poetry section until I'd finished everything. Oh how I smiled...

EDIT: Sorry for saying you were weird :'(

Weird isn't bad :P We all have our exam freakishness.
    I was just so wound up over paper 2 because I didn't do enough work over two years and honestly I don't think I deserve to be feeling as good about it as I do now.
    And I dove into the paper because I'd rather know if I was screwed at the start and spend all my time on Hamlet, Comparative and Unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Ditto :D

What'd you say was the line that impressed you most?

Used the last line(s). Im pretty sure it was one sentence but it was like the last 3 lines so hopefully the examiner doesnt think ive taken 3 sentences and avoided the question! Cant remember rightly what i said about it though, something along the lines of it being the most graphic image and standing out from the rest yada yada yada!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Really enjoyed reading that unseen poem, and I usually hate the unseen poems and criticise them in my personal response - didn't have to do that today! Got to mention the metafictional quality of the poem and was delighted - I had a little prepared on the metafictional quality of Hamlet (Mousetrap, breaking the 4th wall, Osric) but couldn't mention that in the Revenge answer so I put it in the unseen!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

COMPARATIVE
    I did CC Q1. Felt a bit of a to0l saying "this made me feel uncomfortable" all the time. What sh1te English!

At least I'm not the only one, hahaha.

I was sitting there thinking, "HOW the hell can I rephrase this???". I think I used the word 'uneasy' once, but I felt..uneasy about that, so it was back to "it made me feel uncomfortable"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

RHunce wrote: »
    The Single Text
    Hamlet
    Did the question on the theme of revenge and the theme of justice. It was far from the best Hamlet question I have ever done, pretty poor tbh, I found it really difficult not to retell the story the whole time because of the way the question was phrased (6 Pages)

Comparative Studies
    Cultural Context
    Felt this went fairly well. Did the question about attitudes making the reader feel uncomfortable. Felt this went really well. (6 pages)

Poetry
    Unseen
    Did the personal response. felt I had to do loads on it to try and get near full marks. I dealt with the images, the language and the techniques then over all why I liked the poem. 4 paragraphs. (3 Pages)
    Prescribed Poetry
    I had a choice of all four pets thankfully, in fact a few of u laughed out loud when we saw it :pac: I ended up doing my question on Dickinson and I felt I got on really well with this, definitely thought it was my best question by far Excessive amount written but it was hard to fit 6 poems and an opening and closing paragraph into 4 pages. (7 Pages)

PAPER II TOTAL = 22 pages

22 PAGES! how the f...

I wrote really fast for the whole thing non stop basically and got in 13 pages, your writing must be visible from space..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

what.to.do wrote: »
    At least I'm not the only one, hahaha.

I was sitting there thinking, "HOW the hell can I rephrase this???". I think I used the word 'uneasy' once, but I felt..uneasy about that, so it was back to "it made me feel uncomfortable"..

Awh crappp I didn't rephrase it at all.. Usually would too, all the synonoms are rushing to my head now, uneasy, unnerving, disconcerting... etc.. :P Oh well.. done now! :/

Iceboy wrote: »
    22 PAGES! how the f...

I wrote really fast for the whole thing non stop basically and got in 13 pages, your writing must be visible from space..:rolleyes:

I hope so too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

22 PAGES! how the f...

I had 20 pages and my writing is certainly not big. Most people I know wrote about 20 or so...

flyaway. wrote: »
    I had 20 pages and my writing is certainly not big. Most people I know wrote about 20 or so...

There's such a huge difference in teaching styles :pac:

Making the predicting of my result even more difficult!

I went over a few sample answers provided by examit the other night and you guys are writing alot more for unseen poetry that's for sure.

I'm only going for a C here. No judging :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Number of pages is not how they determine your results, stop comparing ffs! :P :D

(Believe me, the examiners would be delighted if it was that easy!)

That's an odd way to celebrate... :P
    Someone else informed us yesterday that if X came up, he would be so delighted that he would eat his pencil-case.

I think that one wins, in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

10 pages,if i had 20 i'd scribble another page on poetry and write another paragraph for hamlet :<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

There's such a huge difference in teaching styles :pac:

Making the predicting of my result even more difficult!

I went over a few sample answers provided by examit the other night and you guys are writing alot more for unseen poetry that's for sure.

I'm only going for a C here. No judging :pac:

It's a bit pointless comparing pages anyway since some people could have ramble about nothing for 30 pages. :P

How much did you write for the unseen poetry? I did a page and a half, I had no clue how long it was supposed to be as I don't remember it ever being mentioned in class so I just took a guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

3/4 for unseen, didn't know what to wriite bout it ,sh1tish poem :(

flyaway. wrote: »
    It's a bit pointless comparing pages anyway since some people could have ramble about nothing for 30 pages. :P

How much did you write for the unseen poetry? I did a page and a half, I had no clue how long it was supposed to be as I don't remember it ever being mentioned in class so I just took a guess!

I wish I went to a bloody decent school :P I must accept some blame also. Should have put alot more effort into it. Sort of 'burnt out' near the end of the year.

I had 1.5 for the unseen also! I guess we'll soon find out pal :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Your unseen poetry answer need only be as long as the third question in the reading comprehension you did yesterday. One page is perfectly fine. Three pages is excessive. An A1 prescribed poetry question can be done in three pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

We did the bare minimum but in great detail!
    Dickinson, Frost and Boland
    CC and Theme/Issue

Everyone in my room was delighted when the paper said Dickinson. She was by far the easiest, well for me anyway :D

Your unseen poetry answer need only be as long as the third question in the reading comprehension you did yesterday. One page is perfectly fine. Three pages is excessive. An A1 prescribed poetry question can be done in three pages.

...Both are 20 marks... I see what you did there...

Clever.

Anyway... Maths....... HL MATHS! :( Poo

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

Anyway... Maths....... HL MATHS! :( Poo

Agreed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 happyaslarry04

The Single Text
    Hamlet
    Did the question on Claudius and thought it was ok! It was hard to think of some redeeming features so i sort of just said that was because of how dodgy a character he is (without using the word dodgy in the exam ha) (6 Pages)

Comparative Studies
    Cultural Context
    Did the question about feeling uncomfortable...varying language is not my strength so i found it tough to say "uncomfortable" in many other ways but i think my content was ok (6 pages)

Poetry
    Unseen
    Not too sure about this...only wrote almost a page and did the two parter question...what image/line did everyone pick?:) picked frustration as the emotion. (almost a page)
    Prescribed Poetry
    I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT NEITHER HOPKINS NOR WORDSWORTH CAME UP :eek: managed to do a decent answer on Frost but if it wasnt for him it would have been a disaster...(5 Pages)

PAPER II TOTAL = almost 18 pages :D happy with that.

• Advertisement

22 PAGES! how the f...

Haha no it's not massive or anything, its just well written and neat so that the examiner doesn't have to take out a magnifying glass.

But your 13 pages could be better than my 22. I just happened to write a lot, it could be utter crap like you just never know :P

Advertisement