Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you happy with English Paper 2?

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mister G

Dickinson was the only poets i knew - woop woop

Raped the comparative with the theme of conflict

just waffled out 3 pages on hamlet

was quite nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

RHunce wrote: »
    Haha no it's not massive or anything, its just well written and neat so that the examiner doesn't have to take out a magnifying glass.

But your 13 pages could be better than my 22. I just happened to write a lot, it could be utter crap like you just never know :P

Wow. I wrote about 13, excluding my plans, which are just little notes on a page before starting a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I did 21 1/2 pages.
    For my mock I did 21.
    Though my writing is fairly messy and bigish. 6/7 words per line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

i've 15 per line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I don't understand how anybody could fit 15 words on a line, especially with two margins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

Every part of the paper was amazing except for the cultural context? i felt like i was doing a whole new comparative aspect completely! never seen anything like that in the opapers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Aced the poetry questions, think i really made a balls of the Hamlet q. Unseen poetry was rather easy imo and the comparative was class.. Happy overall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

21 pages, 9-10 words per line i'd say, 9 maybe cause it was gettin messy. Didn't get it fully finished though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

CATHERINE EARNSHAW! Was shocked at the simplicity! I bate away 7 pages for her....well chuffed!

Cultural context- just said everything made me uncomfortable

Boland- Was half way through her and I realised Frost would of been easier!

Unseen
    was a beauty!

Glad its over now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Now we never have to speak or write English again! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Seaner1878

I looked at the poets straight away and I thought Boland and Frost would be number one and two and as I glanced at it I thought they hadn't come up for a second..God my heart skipped a beat at that moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

I think twas a lovely paper! The sight of Yeats made me feel like I wanted to dance :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Boland- Was half way through her and I realised Frost would of been easier!

hehe.

Whatever floats your boat!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Claudius, you absolute beauty.

Frost, you're the man, once again!

Theme, not a bother.

Leanne O'Sullivan, thank you very much.

God, that was a good exam :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Miss Brightside

So overall I was absolutely delighted with English Paper 2! English is one of my better subjects anyway and I thought the questions were lovely :)

BUT

My downfall has always been time-keeping, and I knew even before going into the exam that I wouldn't have been able to finish everything. I allocated 50 minutes to the single text, 60 to comparative, 20 to unseen poetry and 50 to prescribed poetry and I tried to follow that as best as I could but I didn't fully complete any of my essays :/

Will I lose many marks because of this? I had maybe two paragraphs left to finish in the single text and comparative, and another poem left to discuss in the poetry essay :/ I think my essays were pretty good overall but I'm wondering if this will make a big impact on my marks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

No point worrying about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

So overall I was absolutely delighted with English Paper 2! English is one of my better subjects anyway and I thought the questions were lovely :)

BUT

My downfall has always been time-keeping, and I knew even before going into the exam that I wouldn't have been able to finish everything. I allocated 50 minutes to the single text, 60 to comparative, 20 to unseen poetry and 50 to prescribed poetry and I tried to follow that as best as I could but I didn't fully complete any of my essays :/

Will I lose many marks because of this? I had maybe two paragraphs left to finish in the single text and comparative, and another poem left to discuss in the poetry essay :/ I think my essays were pretty good overall but I'm wondering if this will make a big impact on my marks?

It's too late now but what you should have done is with 3 minutes to the end of each question you should have put a concluding paragraph on... Gets more marks than an extra paragraph about the topic with no ending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

It depends how much you managed to get done. If you had 6 Paragraphs you won't lose that much marks tbh. Prob 10/15 at most because of the fact it didn't have a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

I easily get 17 words per line... I don't know how people write any bigger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You will go down on C for not following though, but if what you have written is focused on the question (P), is well-structured (apart from lacking an ending) and has clear expression (L), then you mightn't have done too badly.

Put it this way - if you have done all that, you'll do better than someone who wrote reams of a 'perfect' essay and was finished on time, but who didn't refer to the question throughout.

No point in worrying now, focus on what you can achieve in your other exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Miss Brightside

I know it's a bit late to be worrying about it now but I'm just wondering! :)

Well I did about 3/3.5 pages for each so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad.. wish I had thought to go back and put in a conclusion instead of trying to finish them off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I didnt like the comparative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

The "Hamlet" question on the balancing of justice and revenge was such a good question - I was absolutely delighted with it; certainly beats my pre when I launched into the wrong single text... :eek:

Comparative was good too - I did Cultural Context, just the usual thing on the patriarchal society, cultural hegemony etc. I did the 70 marker.

Unseen Poetry - It was a rubbish poem! Yet I wrote my personal response to it, there wasn't exactly much depth to interrogate however :pac:

ALL of my best poets came up! Not a sign of repulsive flowery Wordsworthless :cool: Being a Yeats fanatic, I did Yeats, but all the questions were lovely I thought.

So I'm satisfied overall - I wish that I could have stayed longer though, I had to cut Yeats short :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Am I the only one that did Yeats? :D

Three of my five poets came up- my teacher did Theme/issue and CC and they both came up (CC came up really weird though) and the Hamlet (did the one on Claudius) question was a doddle....

Got roughly eighteen and a half pages out- seven for Hamlet, about seven for CC, three for Yeats and 2-ish for the unseen...much better than Paper 1 with the awkward composing section....but great overall!

EDIT; nvm, guy above me did Yeats :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I thought Boland was a bit sticky:p I was half way through and realised Frost was better. A well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i was over the moon with it
    great questions
    i got loads into my claudius question with a heap of quotes, read over it and there was no waffle which is strange for my hamlet answers

really happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I left out Part iii) of question A, text one! 20 marks/5% down the drain.

Paper 2 went well but do you think that the marker will take into account I forgot to do a question on paper 1 when s/he is marking them??

I'm so upset, Englis was the one I really really wanted an A in! :(

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Am I the only one that did Yeats? :D

Three of my five poets came up- my teacher did Theme/issue and CC and they both came up (CC came up really weird though) and the Hamlet (did the one on Claudius) question was a doddle....

Got roughly eighteen and a half pages out- seven for Hamlet, about seven for CC, three for Yeats and 2-ish for the unseen...much better than Paper 1 with the awkward composing section....but great overall!

EDIT; nvm, guy above me did Yeats :P

I'm female :rolleyes:
    So what did you write for Yeats :D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Ahh sorry :p

I did a rush-job on it because I only had a half-hour left-time went mad!
    But I basically just talked about how complex his themes are-change, death and I also wrote in detail about Sailing to Byzantium and how weird it was in the context of modern day things. Also mentioned at length his obsession with immortality and art and how people might find that challenging to get their heads around but in general I lauded him as a rewarding poet :D

You? :p

• Advertisement

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Ahh sorry :p

I did a rush-job on it because I only had a half-hour left-time went mad!
    But I basically just talked about how complex his themes are-change, death and I also wrote in detail about Sailing to Byzantium and how weird it was in the context of modern day things. Also mentioned at length his obsession with immortality and art and how people might find that challenging to get their heads around but in general I lauded him as a rewarding poet :D

You? :p

Yeah! Me too - time keeping and me are just :eek:
    Yes, "Sailing to Byzantium" pretty much encompasses Yeats ultimate philosophy/style really! Yeah I suppose the contrast between the world of idealism "the golden bird", contrasted with the "rag and bone shop of the heart", but the gradual metamorphosis of the symbols into a Hegelian dialectical synthesis - the "golden bird" as an evolving symbol of materialism. Yack yack yack. I think I gushed rather excessively however - Yeats is an obsession :pac:
    Then to get back to P, I was muttering that he appears to be accessible, yet really he is not - you know, his complex diction, obscure allusions "sages", "perne in a gyre" etc. It pretty much was an essay on "Sailing to Byzantium" - that poem is just so beautiful and dense :D Er, and obviously I argued that he was rewarding :P

The Unseen Poem was dire however. It was so excessively... flowery :eek: and hardly an insightful nugget to be found. Just some arty farty stuff about "muses" and "inspiration".

It sounds like you did well in Yeats anyway!

Advertisement