Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Killing [AMC] [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 12-12-2010 12:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

MOD WARNING: This is for discussion of 'The Killing' on AMC.. we know this show is based on the acclaimed Danish series 'Forbrydelsen' but please have consideration for people who are watching this remake fresh without having seen that.

If you want to talk plotlines / plot points / revelations in the Danish series, please start another thread as there'll be a lot of confusion with spoilers as to whether it alludes to the AMC series or the original... and it may just spoil it for people.

Thanks!

Gonna start rounding up info about this show for y'all :)

http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-news/2010/12/amc-begins-production-on-the-killing.php

Lead homicide detective Sarah Linden (Mireille Enos) and ex-narc cop Stephen Holder (Joel Kinnaman) investigate the death of Rosie Larsen in AMC's newest original series, The Killing, premiering in March 2011. (Photo credit: Chris Large/AMC)

AMC begins production today in Vancouver on the network's next original series, The Killing. From writer, executive producer and series showrunner Veena Sud (Cold Case), The Killing is based on the wildly successful Danish television series Forbrydelsen. It tells the story of the murder of a young girl in Seattle and the subsequent police investigation. Produced by Fox Television Studios, it is executive produced by Mikkel Bondesen (Burn Notice) for Fuse Entertainment. Fuse's Kristen Campo co-produces. Season one consists of thirteen, one-hour episodes and is slated to premiere in March 2011.

"The Killing marks the first foray into a crime mystery genre for AMC. We were drawn to the project immediately after viewing the original format. Veena's adaptation has everything we loved about the original and more -- it is compelling and addictive storytelling," said Susie Fitzgerald, AMC's SVP of scripted development and current programming. "We could also not be more impressed with the level of talent that we have working on it from our amazing cast and crew to our dedicated partners at FTVS and Fuse."

David Madden, President of Fox TV Studios, added, "From the moment Mikkel Bondesen brought us the Danish series, we knew The Killing was something special, and that we would need the trifecta of exceptional writer/showrunner, which we found in Veena Sud, a breakout cast, and a creatively driven, forward-thinking network to give this project the life it deserves in the US. We are thrilled to roll cameras on The Killing and look forward to its airing on AMC."

The Killing ties together three distinct stories around a single murder including the detectives assigned to the case, the victim's grieving family and the suspects. Set in Seattle, the story also explores local politics as it follows politicians connected to the case. As the series unfolds, it becomes clear that there are no accidents; everyone has a secret, and while the characters think they've moved on, their past isn't done with them.

The Killing stars Mireille Enos (Big Love) as "Sarah Linden," who is the lead homicide detective that investigates the death of Rosie Larsen. Other castings include: Billy Campbell (Once and Again, Enough) as "Darren Richmond," Seattle's City Council President running for Mayor; Michelle Forbes (True Blood) as "Mitch Larsen," Rosie's mother; Joel Kinnaman (Snabba Cash) as "Stephen Holder," an ex-narc cop who joins the homicide division in the investigation to find Rosie Larsen's killer; and Brent Sexton (W., In the Valley of Elah) as "Stan Larsen," Rosie's father.

thekilling-pilot-400x535.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Premiere is set for Sunday April 3rd, Breakout Kings is set for March 13th.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think I'll watch the original while waiting for this to drop. Tuning my TV to Danish frequencies now...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,054 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.tvguide.com/News/AMC-Sets-Hour-1029112.aspx

AMC will unveil its newest series, The Killing, with a two-hour premiere on Sunday, April 3, the network announced Thursday.
    Based on the Danish TV series Forbrydelsen, the show focuses on the murder of a young Seattle girl, Rosie Larsen, and the subsequent police investigation. Production on the 13-episode first season started in December in Vancouver.
    The series stars Mireille Enos (Big Love) as Sarah Linden, the lead investigator. Billy Campbell (Enough), Michelle Forbes (True Blood), Joel Kinnaman (Snabba Cash) and Brent Sexton (W.) also star. Veena Sud (Cold Case) will serves as writer and executive producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Looks very promising. I started watching the original Danish version, 'Forbrydelsen' yesterday, got through the first 2 episodes and am already hooked.

I don't know if it's just me, but in some ways this show seemed to draw a lot of parallels with Twin Peaks in the first 2 episodes. I'm guessing the creators were fans of Twin Peaks and the show makes a couple of nods at it.

• Advertisement

I couldn't get any English subtitles for the original. I started watching with Dutch ones but it was too much like hard work.

Two new promo vids, no YT versions yet: http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/02/killing-2-new-promos.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭brian_t

The original is currently being shown on BBC4 at 9.00pm on Saturday and repeated on Wednesday nights in a later slot. However they show two episodes a night and the series started on Jan 22 so you will have missed the first 8 episodes (or the first 6 if you watch on Wednesday).

There's definitely english subtitles out there, they were hard-coded into the episodes I watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,054 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

They're really going all out for the Twin Peaks angle with that promo poster.

The Killing star Brent Sexton has revealed more details about the forthcoming AMC drama.

The 13-part series will chart the investigation into the murder of a young girl (Katie Findlay) in real-time.

In an official AMC interview, Sexton, who plays the victim's grieving father Stan, revealed that the show will chronicle an increasingly tragic chain of events.

"We're following three storylines here, [focusing on] Sarah the detective (Mireille Enos), Mitch (Michelle Forbes) and Stan the parent, and then Darren Richmond the mayor (Billy Campbell)," he explained. "There's these little clever things that are so human, that lead to assumptions, that lead to these actions, that lead to these consequences."

The actor also suggested that individual episodes will not be standalone and encouraged viewers to watch the entire first season.

"It's never wrapped-up at the end of the episode," he said. "There's always questions. [You're] always searching for answers."

Source: DS

• Registered Users Posts: 55,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I really want this to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

anyone else put off by them accents,

other than that ill give it a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Watching the original Danish series on BBC 4 the last 9 weeks, great series, looking very much to seening the ending tomorrow night. I don't think I will bother watching the American version. The Swedish Wallender was so much better than the English version and I can't see the English language version of The Killing coming anywhere close to the Danish original.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭brian_t

This Saturday BBC Four is showing a repeat of the 8 part French crime series "Spiral" as the replacement for The Killing. According to the Observer review when it was originally shown in 2006.

"There's an element of CSI in the graphic autopsy scene, a bit of 24 in the fancy camerawork and a lot of the wonderful State of Play in the hints of wrongdoing in high places. But, what marks Spiral out from its competition is its setting: this isn't Britain or America but Paris and the programme-makers have a lot of fun playing with American cop conventions and giving them a noticeably French twist."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

brian_t wrote: »
    This Saturday BBC Four is showing a repeat of the 8 part French crime series "Spiral" as the replacement for The Killing. According to the Observer review when it was originally shown in 2006.

"There's an element of CSI in the graphic autopsy scene, a bit of 24 in the fancy camerawork and a lot of the wonderful State of Play in the hints of wrongdoing in high places. But, what marks Spiral out from its competition is its setting: this isn't Britain or America but Paris and the programme-makers have a lot of fun playing with American cop conventions and giving them a noticeably French twist."

Its actually not Series 1 that was shown in 2006 but Series 3, The Butcher of La Villette. Hopefully it will be easy enough to watch without knowing the backstory of series 1 and 2.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01075w0

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

Is the DVD of the Killing Season 1 in English or Danish with English subtitles?

On the television show on the bbc or itv was it in english or Danish?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

On the bbc, its in danish with english subs, if you want to know where to get it I have some cousins than can get it to you, just pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

About 3 episodes into the Danish version now, really enjoying it and it seems a lot more realistic than most cop shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

About 3 episodes into the Danish version now, really enjoying it and it seems a lot more realistic than most cop shows.

Ye. I've just watched the 1st two episodes absolutely love it, fantastic, its dark, its engaging and the acting is just top notch, every scene has you on the edge of your seat, definitely the best show I've watched in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

blodvyn wrote: »
    Ye. I've just watched the 1st two episodes absolutely love it, fantastic, its dark, its engaging and the acting is just top notch, every scene has you on the edge of your seat, definitely the best show I've watched in a long time!
    +1
    Also I love the closing montage on each episode with the music building up.
    I only started watching this recently when the BBC has aired 14 of the 20 episodes of the first season so I quickly caught up but it was a killer (:o) waiting the next three weeks for the final six episodes to air.

I don't see any point watching the AMC remake.

US version starts Sunday, the UK airing of the Danish version has been getting rave reviews: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/tubetalk/a311516/why-tube-talk-loved-the-killing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I've been looking for something that fills the void left by Rubicon(sob) hopefully this will be it.
    If not, there's always the Firefly reboot to look forward to.. oh wait

Finished watching Season 1 of the Danish version a few weeks back and I absolutely loved it, although I think the season was a tad long, it probably should have been 14 episodes or so rather than the 20.

The cast is fantastic, I especially liked Lars Mikkelsen (Troels Hartmann), and the Jan Meyer character (he grows on you). The lead character, Lund, is a pretty tough cookie also.

Has anyone watched the followup 'Season 2' of the Danish version (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517495/)? Wondering if it is any good..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

jArgHA wrote: »
    Finished watching Season 1 of the Danish version a few weeks back and I absolutely loved it, although I think the season was a tad long, it probably should have been 14 episodes or so rather than the 20.
    +1
    I think they stretched it just a little too long and thus weakened the credibilty slightly.
    jArgHA wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the followup 'Season 2' of the Danish version (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517495/)? Wondering if it is any good..
    I've seen the first two episodes but trying to get a copy with good English subtitles is difficult. There are some truly horrendous English subtitles floating around for it.
    A good translation makes a big difference. I may decide to wait to continue it until it returns to BBC4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Anyone know if Sky Atlantic will carry the US version?

Am sorry that I missed the original-damn Sky Planner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I am interested in watching this and have no intention or interest in watching 20 hours of subtitles.

Can we please respect the thread title and not bother making any further references to the original version ?

Yes, discussion of the Danish version, where ever broadcast, should be placed in spoilers. I watched the two-parter as it was on the top my my watch list. Honestly...i'm not sure what to make of it. Tough going in places, some of the scenes (especially from the parents on discovery of Rosie's body) were difficult to deal with.

For me it was the slow pacing i found most difficult, it was almost 37 mins into the first ep. before the body was discovered. Thus far it's not revolutionary, i mean i already suspect that douchebag intern working for Richardson. What was up with creepy cop smoking pot and being all peado with the two school girls?

I get he might have been trying to gleen info which lead to the cage, but just something about that scene screamed....hey, potential suspect!
    Michelle Forbes is great!...like really great!!, our two main investigators are not beautiful people for sure, tbh they both look like trailer trash....least they ain't Hollywood beautiful.

At this stage i'm not convinced by the show, i can kinda see how this'll play out...the political aspect, slimey politicians tryna use the girls death to win the election, public hysteria, interns with agendas, someone framed the killing using the campaign car.

I'll bet Rosie has a dodgy past, f*cking older guys, drugs/booze/orgies etc. - i'm guessing everyone has some skeleton and agenda and red herrings and finger pointing galore.

Does that make for good tv?...undecided, my guess is the US version is inferior and too changed from the Danish to hold water, if you've seen the original and this do chime in.

VERY solid ratings for AMC, second only to TWD: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/04/04/amcs-the-killing-premiere-averages-2-7-million-viewers/88172

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Richard Dower:

I have seen the original (the first season only though, it's hard to find for some reason) and the pilot of The Killing.

It is an exact copy.
    Not borrowing things, not using the same type of characters: An exact copy, down to the same clothing.

I'm not going to spoil anything but I'd bet I can tell you right away who dunnit.
    This looks like lazy copy-work to prevent Americans from having to read subtitles.

Apart from that, I do think they did a good job, but I can not watch this without thinking 'Holy crap, I've seen every single scene before :o'.

Advertisement