Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Killing [AMC] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I've never seen the original but just watching the first two eps of the US version and thought it was great, especially the first episode. Very tense, loved all the misdirects leading up to the final discovery, and that shot was really well done and really creepy.

I didn't think the second episode was as good as the first, but I still enjoyed it, and can't wait for the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I couldn't get over how cheap some of this looked, and the actors aren't the best either, with the exception of those playing Linden and Stan Larsen.
    It feels lazy. I only watched it because AMC made it but I don't fancy it tbh.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,864 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I thought this was fantastic.. and flew by.

Most people seemed to complain about slow pacing but there's a difference between a slow moving plot and advancing the plot gracefully.

Performances were decent. The two leads were probably the weakest, but Forbes was great (who I've never really appreciated as an actress - people tell me she's great but she's never really impressed me in what I've seen her in). The discovery of Rosie was a particularly heartbreaking moment.

Only thing was really bothered me was the opening to the second part, when it shows Rosie's toes on the gurney - it was obviously the toe of someone much older and presumably male.
    For me it was the slow pacing i found most difficult, it was almost 37 mins into the first ep. before the body was discovered.
    It's called establishing characters.. what's the point in having them discover Rosie immediately and having 2 random characters we've absolutely no connection or background with bawling their eyes out and having a breakdown on screen.

And the discovery of Rosie would not have worked nearly as well if it happened so soon into the pilot.. we have to see what characters (most importantly the parents and friends) were dealing with when it was simply a case of a missing girl.
    Does that make for good tv?...undecided, my guess is the US version is inferior and too changed from the Danish to hold water, if you've seen the original and this do chime in.
    Jesus.. it's one episode in - give it time for fecks sake!

Does it make for good TV? Yes, it's probably the most interesting atmospheric promising pilot I've seen for the entire 2010-2011 season.

People who have seen the Danish version.. be careful if you do talk about it. I'd prefer to watch the US version with a fresh perspective and not hear "well, in the Danish version.. they did it this way" or "the Danish version handled that much better". There's already what looks like a spoiler to the Danish version above. So I'm gonna preempt this thread with a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The first episode is up on the US iTunes stores to download for free for those who are interested.

Looking forward to downloading an viewing it over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Basq wrote: »
    MOD WARNING: This is for discussion of 'The Killing' on AMC.. we know this show is based on the acclaimed Dutch series 'Forbrydelsen' but please have consideration for people who are watching this remake fresh without having seen that.

If you want to talk plotlines / plot points / revelations in the Dutch series, please start another thread as there'll be a lot of confusion with spoilers as to whether it alludes to the AMC series or the original... and it may just spoil it for people.

Thanks!
    Psst.....the original Forbrydelsen was Danish not Dutch.

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Psst.....the original Forbrydelsen was Danish not Dutch.
    Ta..

.. so bacon, not clogs! ;)

EDIT: I did actually mention it was Danish in my post..
    People who have seen the Danish version.. be careful if you do talk about it. I'd prefer to watch the US version with a fresh perspective and not hear "well, in the Danish version.. they did it this way" or "the Danish version handled that much better". There's already what looks like a spoiler to the Danish version above. So I'm gonna preempt this thread with a warning.

.. so must have just been a temporary brain-fart!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭CluelessGirl

I really enjoyed it.

It moved along nicely.

Well shot without any Hollywood BS or graphics.

The acting was great and quite moving.

Very interested to see where it goes.

Onto episode 2..........

• Registered Users Posts: 49 AB1980!

As someone who was obsessed with the original I think it's a little unfair to say it's an exact copy.

Yes so far (I'm 53 mins in) it's pretty much scene for scene BUT I think the characterisations (especially the 2 detectives) are different enough to give it a different spin and most importantly I've read the killer is different.

I'll stick with it for the time being. (even if Billy Campbell is no Lars Mikelsson :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Saw some people on GetGlue discussing this, might give it a shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Wow!....the demos are VERY low!.....Mad Men levels, TWD got a 3.0 in it's season finale!!

The Killing (AMC, 9pm, 120 minutes)
    - 2.720 million viewers
    - 1.7/3 HH
    - 0.7/2 A18-49

• Advertisement

Wow!....the demos are VERY low!.....Mad Men levels, TWD got a 3.0 in it's season finale!!
    FWIW.. I don't think we need to worry about numbers here.

I mean all 13 episodes have been made, and will inevitably air.

And the season is a single self-contained story so even if AMC doesn't renew it, we'll still get a full season / self-contained murder story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i thought it was well paced, i thought initially it would be a weekly procedural, i didnt think the whole series would be based on the one murder, but i think it will work out well, 13 episodes, a proper investiagation,

you get sick of the CSIs and Cold Cases murder of the week jobs, good to see some thought go into a proper murder and some decent caracter development,

even if it is a copy of another show, it will eventually grow its own legs and hopefully stand on it own,

Episode 3 tonight, i think my "tween" tag is officially gone with all the "quality" tv i watch now.

Looking forward to more of this - I loved it!

And just a quick note on the Danish version - Forbryselden.. now I'm well aware of the warning in place so I'm not going to say too much or revealing plot details.

Now bear in mind that I've only watched the first 2 episodes of The Danish version, but it's a VERY different show. The core plot and pacing is the same but there's obvious plot points in the Danish version which aren't present in the AMC version. Based on solely the first 2 episodes of both - if you compare, you'll get a completely different outcome at the end of each.

I'm planning to watch both anyways... gonna catch up with 'Justified' and then back to 'Forbryselden' after.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Watched the first two episodes today - Basquille makes a great point about the solid reasoning for it being a slow burner that builds on characters. I felt the grief of the family a lot more as a result - in fact the pain they exhibited was more affecting than deaths in shows I've watched for years.

The creeping sense of unease worked very well and I thought the show looked great. Impressed so far.

..and that scene with the Mother on the other end of the phone was beatifully shot. I loved the backtrack as the camera panned out and showed the two younger kids frozen in fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Episode 3 tonight, i think my "tween" tag is officially gone with all the "quality" tv i watch now.
    _________
    Discussion of "tween" movies? - BANNED :mad:

Side by side with your signature, Rich, that made me laugh... :)

I'm calling red herring on the two lads killing Rosie + i think it was consensual, guess from here we'll discover more of Rosie's dirty little secrets. But overall not much happened to advance the plot.

Injecting skullduggery and finger pointing, who sent that email?....slow burner, i'll stick with it but if yer watching don't expect answers too quick or a fast pace!

I'm calling red herring on the two lads killing Rosie + i think it was consensual, guess from here we'll discover more of Rosie's dirty little secrets.
    Absolutely no chance they did it. This reminds me of "Twin Peaks" when we began to uncover Laura Palmer's underbelly life. Where's Rosie's secret diary?

My bet is BOB did it.
    slow burner, i'll stick with it but if yer watching don't expect answers too quick or a fast pace!
    Being a slow burner doesn't matter when the show is of such quality.

Ep. 4 was a bit pacier, but overall little progression....so as expected the two boys didn't rape/kill Rosie, it was in fact her friend in the cage that night, dressed as Rosie. I've been rather impressed by Kacey Kohl who plays Rosie's BFF. I saw her in Caprica and Tower Prep, but this seems her best work.

An up and coming actress to look out for!, Michelle Forbes continues to shine with SURELY an Emmy nom this year?. so another suspect thrown up at the end....namely the teacher, kinda suspected him from episode 1 as well....but no doubt another red herring.

Does anyone fancy Linden's fiance as a possible suspect?....perhaps the mayor?
    Surprised there isin't more discussion on this show?, has GOT taken the limelight?

• Advertisement

I'm still watching. Teacher's definitely a red herring. It's going to tie in with the Dad's past crooked dealings and the Political side. Loving Michelle Forbes, her scenes are just heartbreaking. I'm also catching up on 'In Treatment' at the moment and she's wonderful in that too. If she's not nominated the systems is truly f'd up.

Still watching! Think the show is very good and, yeah, there's red herrings but they're going to lead into some interesting plot lines in themselves.

Did have fun spotting all the sci-fi actors here - struck off 'The 4400' [Billy Campbell as Richmond], True Blood/BSG/Star Trek [Michell Forbes as Larsen], Lost [Alan Dale as the Senator], Stargate: Universe [the rich guy who Richmond visits who plays Volker], and BSG again [Sarah's fianciee who played Leoben].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i'm really getting sucked into the show...atmosphere is brilliant. michelle forbes is brilliant as the griefing mother. loved the scene with the phone call as they discover Rosie's body.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Did have fun spotting all the sci-fi actors here - struck off 'The 4400' [Billy Campbell as Richmond], True Blood/BSG/Star Trek [Michell Forbes as Larsen], Lost [Alan Dale as the Senator], Stargate: Universe [the rich guy who Richmond visits who plays Volker], and BSG again [Sarah's fianciee who played Leoben].

there was also a brief scene with Brody from SGU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I'm also still watching and loving it. I'm thinking right now that maybe the mayor has something to with it. I think the father's shady past will be another red herring and it's going to come down on the political side of things in the end.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    ithere was also a brief scene with Brody from SGU
    Where? I'm terrible with faces but which one was he? I spotted nobody with that head of curly hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

ixoy wrote: »
    Where? I'm terrible with faces but which one was he? I spotted nobody with that head of curly hair.

6 minutes into the 4th episode...that mop of hair is all straight for this...he's only in it for a minute or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Just caught up on this and its a cracking show. Looking forward to the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

yeah this really has been a breath of fresh air, its nice to have something to look forward to on a monday, with californication and shameless done for the year this and a game of thrones is now my monday fix:D,

i love how its playing off all the sides that are affected by the murder, it reminds me of the wire a bit in that way,

Ep. 5 - bit of a mixed bag tbh....the pacing is glacial, and while not an issue for me with Rubicon it's becoming an issue with The Killing, i think because of the subject matter and how they deliver the plot points, there is no mystery imo with The Killing.

Each suspect and piece of info thrown up thus far....you KNEW it was a red herring, so in the next ep. when what you expect comes through it's not surprising or engaging.
    This ep. we found out as expected the teacher while hiding something didn't kill her....it was heavily implied at the end the killer was someone with experience, able to eliminate evidence and perhaps a serial killer.

The reveal of who leaked the info in the Richardson campaign was again not shocking or that interesting. It's no Rubicon which had genuine shocks and kept you engaged. While Michelle Forbes is superb, the scene with her husband breaking down in the bathroom seemed forced.

It was OTT and trying to force the viewer to feel for this character, perhaps it was the setting or acting....but i didn't engage with the characters pain and breakdown. they are also giving Linden a backstory, my guess is she gets heavily invested in cases and they are hinting she's done this before Rosie and it took it's tole.

Liden's partner, implying heavily he's dodgy, maybe doing drugs or dealing....but then at the end he puts an envelope of cash into Larsen's family mailbox, ergo maybe he's not a bad guy. On paper this all sounds interesting right?, but for me and perhaps specific to this episode only it's just not engaging enough.

There are no real shockers or twists, plotpoints get telegraphed, your predications come through....perhaps the pacing and feel of the show is deliberate and they'll hit you over the head in later eps.

I do hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Yea I really thought ep 5 was just "meh". Nothing that interesting seemed to happen or anything. I did really enjoy the first few so hopefully it picks up again next week. Definitely haven't given up yet anyway.

Advertisement