Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical Loadouts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I am coming late to the discussion here, but if you want an AK, something from the 80's, something different, and will work on woodland how about something Afghani? I have a Pashtun loadout, and other than missing a bushy beard it's pretty simple to put together, and always turns heads:

pashtun_pixel.jpg

And it beats VC pyjamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Part of me like that, part of me is a little upset by the fact that those same guys in 1980 (while a whole different ball game) Are the same guys doing it today... dressed the same, and with the same weapons... while you say its 1980, and I have no doubt you mean it to be Russo-afgan war era, part of me is a little upset that people are esentially 'playacting' the guys killing our people in Afganistan at the moment... Its a loadout I'd advise against should service personel be around... Don't get me wrong hon, I like it... well, I like the detail, and originality, but at the same time, its a bit... borderline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

I understand your concern but I think it unlikely it would be seen on a UK site.
    Players in Ireland are less sensitive to loadouts like that one but one involving the recent "Troubles" would be viewed the same way you view this one

Firekitten wrote: »
    Part of me like that, part of me is a little upset by the fact that those same guys in 1980 (while a whole different ball game) Are the same guys doing it today... dressed the same, and with the same weapons... while you say its 1980, and I have no doubt you mean it to be Russo-afgan war era, part of me is a little upset that people are esentially 'playacting' the guys killing our people in Afganistan at the moment... Its a loadout I'd advise against should service personel be around... Don't get me wrong hon, I like it... well, I like the detail, and originality, but at the same time, its a bit... borderline.
    To be fair, I am being a little inaccurate describing it as Pashtun. The pakol and so on is more of a Chitrali thing, and as a look it probably fits better with the likes of the United Islamic Front (the "Northern Alliance") and Ahmad Shah Massoud's fighters from the 80's.

I did a bit of research on modern "Taliban" looks, and they go for turbans rather than the pakol as head gear.

I understand what you are saying about being sensitive in this area.

Quick google research..
    "Northern Alliance" - simple uniforms, and bdus (I use an old olive green jacket bought in an army surplus shop), and pakols in the 90's. Today most have been integrated into the Afghan army, or are part of local militias.
    This is the sort of look I am going for.
    20011115tank.jpg
    I just can't get the mates. Or the BMP.

"Taliban" - Shalwar kameez, waistcoat and turbans. Sometimes a jacket thrown over.

• Advertisement

Oh I completely understand the 'alegance' differences between the two, but at the end of the day, those little 'differences' don't mean a whole lot. I'm not saying its evil and iresponsible, just... that it gets me a little...

It would be like me rocking up in jeans, a dpm jacket, with a balaclava and an AK.... it would make you a bit uncomfortable... seeing someone roleplay that...

I think its cool youve done something different... and can accept it from a reenactment angle... I'm just not sure how pleased I'd be to skirmish against someone in that loadout... dishdash, turban, or parkol

Dogs: actually, some little idiots have done it in the Uk...skirmished in 'taliban' loadouts... annoyingly accurate ones too. Got rather 'dodgy' at one incident I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

One advantage of going with a brit faklands load out is that you will also get the best aggression training in the world, even better then baynet training. Its trying to get things in and out of pattern 58 pouches when they're wet.

Firekitten wrote: »
    Oh I completely understand the 'alegance' differences between the two, but at the end of the day, those little 'differences' don't mean a whole lot.
    Em, actually it makes a lot of difference. The Northern Alliance fought the Russians, went into the unity government in the 90's and while they fell out amongst themselves they (led by the romanticised Massoud, and more odious Dostrum) always opposed the Taliban. Come 2001 they promptly lined up with the US and gave their backing to the internationally backed government.

In so far as anyone could use such a term, they were the "good guys" in Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

The problem Sliabh is that not many people have your knowledge on the subject. Looking at that the first thing I though was, "Terrorist".

I've always wanted to do a Fenian loadout because it'd be so simples and I'm proud of those days. The problem is that the Fenians gave birth to the IRA and most people would have a problem if you even joke about stuff like that.

That's not to say that you shouldn't go on wearing it. In fact, if I saw someone with that loadout, I'd probably laugh a bit, do an impression of Mach off Future weapons (something about bad guys and terrorists) but then I'd go on and play the game. It doesn't bother me personally but say someone who is/was in the Brit army (not naming names) is it not understandable that they might take offence to it?

MonkeyGuy wrote: »
    The problem Sliabh is that not many people have your knowledge on the subject. Looking at that the first thing I though was, "Terrorist".

It doesn't bother me personally but say someone who is/was in the Brit army (not naming names) is it not understandable that they might take offence to it?

I totally understand where you and FK are coming from. But it's my ROIGHT as a player to wear whateve, ahem. Must remember to take my pills. :)

Funnily enough the first time I turned out in this loadout I was by my car prepping my backup, an MP5 to give to someone who's gun was kaput. Dressed in the gear and holding the MP5 I was asked twice was I supposed to be special forces.

I always thought the hat sold the look, now it looks like it is the gun! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Danin

IMO I think it's a shame that we don't see the diversity of loadouts as much in our local sites in Ireland as much as you do in say England.

I personally think it's cool when you see something different, we used to have a guy who came to Tigerland in full WWII Russian load outs all authentic and it just set him apart and it was something I always looked forward having a chat with him over coffee regarding his collections.
    and the visual aspect of the Black Ace chronicles recently (this is not a plug by the way) was epic with seasoned Marshall's, elbowing each other saying "look at that it looks class" when all the Marines where holding the riverbed, even down to Oddy and his crew when they sometimes land in the Barn in full WWII load outs it just makes the day a bit different.

But hey lets get back to the Nam stuff, I could be here hours chatting about it : )

and on that note I've just realised that I've been outbid again :mad: on my ongoing attempts to buy a Mitchell Pattern Helmet Cover
    really thought this time I had this one in the bag....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭The_ChiefDUB

Danin wrote: »
    and on that note I've just realised that I've been outbid again :mad: on my ongoing attempts to buy a Mitchell Pattern Helmet Cover

I fear that maybe it's just not meant to be for you buddy.

... or maybe you could put in a proper bid ya cheap bastard!

I fear that maybe it's just not meant to be for you buddy.

... or maybe you could put in a proper bid ya cheap bastard!

Oooo man that cuts deep .... thats the last time I help you out with your loadouts especially as you seem to always end up copying mine admit it I'm your style Guru LOL :p

Now stop going of topic and lets get back to the good stuff about Loadouts

Oooo man that cuts deep .... thats the last time I help you out with your loadouts especially as you seem to always end up copying mine admit it I'm your style Guru LOL :p

Now stop going of topic and lets get back to the good stuff about Loadouts

I copy you? Oh, this discussion is not over!

In true 'Nam loadout style I think a certain officer may be getting fragged at Bellurgan.

I copy you? Oh, this discussion is not over!

In true 'Nam loadout style I think a certain officer may be getting fragged at Bellurgan.

Listen you FNG ...you'll be peeling spuds again if you keep this up now give us something constructive about cool loadouts or go back to wishing you had an M14 as cool as mine ;):D

Anyways..... :rolleyes:

I totally agree on the whole diversity thing. I think the more different loadouts there are the more interesting it is. Of course there's a flipside... It's harder to take seriously, as in to imagine I'm a Nam veteran, fighting alongside Russians from WW2, against Modern day marines.... and Nazis...

Anyways it's a Sunday skirmish so it's not the point!

I like how we're em.... considering other options now! :D

I totally agree on the whole diversity thing. I think the more different loadouts there are the more interesting it is. Of course there's a flipside... It's harder to take seriously, as in to imagine I'm a Nam veteran, fighting alongside Russians from WW2, against Modern day marines.... and Nazis...
    When the photo of me in the rig above was taken I was playing against the Vienna SOCOM guys. They are pretty vain, putting a lot of effort into their totally right loadouts. So I am sure they appreciated being able to shoot at a well dressed Afghani :)

...there's a flipside... It's harder to take seriously, as in to imagine I'm a Nam veteran, fighting alongside Russians from WW2, against Modern day marines.... and Nazis... :D

This has always been one of the main things that got me about historical loadouts. I think they are absolutely great when done properly and in the right context - or even when people just do their best to fit in to the theme on historically based games. But it is a bit jarring to my suspension of disbelief when I see modern era loadouts beside vintage loadouts in the same game.
    That said though - I have always been impressed by the effort that some people go to.

I'd love to the SOG loadout and shoot some gooks :p

Am I allowed say gooks? It's not racist is it? I just meant VC or NVA...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

I've always wanted to do a Fenian loadout because it'd be so simples and I'm proud of those days. The problem is that the Fenians gave birth to the IRA and most people would have a problem if you even joke about stuff like that.

That's not to say that you shouldn't go on wearing it. In fact, if I saw someone with that loadout, I'd probably laugh a bit, do an impression of Mach off Future weapons (something about bad guys and terrorists) but then I'd go on and play the game. It doesn't bother me personally but say someone who is/was in the Brit army (not naming names) is it not understandable that they might take offence to it?

I am not familiar with a Fenian loadout. Would you describe it? I am assuming you are talking 1920's or thereabouts.

Dogwatch wrote: »
    I am not familiar with a Fenian loadout. Would you describe it? I am assuming you are talking 1920's or thereabouts.

Yep. Even earlier. Basically an old grey suit (make sure you've suspenders ;) ) Farmer's cap, overcoat with Tricolour band on your arm and a scarf or that wrapped around your neck/face. Then arm yourself with basically any British/German/Even some Russian weapons from that era and you're set.

So does this beg the questions should we have more diversity with regards to planned games ranging from WWII to Nam to Modern ??? is it something people would get into ??? if they where available say once every few months ??

Danin, yes. The problem is there aren't many Vietnam/WW2 players around.

Edit: I think this would be better off with it's own thread

Danin, yes. The problem is there aren't many Vietnam/WW2 players around.

Edit: I think this would be better off with it's own thread

LOL true enough mate sorry :)

No problem it's just for the sake of everyone else :P

So as I was saying... loadouts... a great bunch of lads...

I want a Stoner LMG so bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Patience young padawan. You will need to bide your time. It took me several months to get an issue M1 helmet with Mitchel-Leaf cover that wasn't in rag order or costing an arm and a leg. Same with the covers.

You could check moore militaria though. I've got a few other resources listed at home that I can check up on later.

I didn't even see the video Spooky put up until now... Guess what loadout I wanna do?! :D

Lemming wrote: »
    Patience young padawan. You will need to bide your time. It took me several months to get an issue M1 helmet with Mitchel-Leaf cover that wasn't in rag order or costing an arm and a leg. Same with the covers.

You could check moore militaria though. I've got a few other resources listed at home that I can check up on later.

LOL I hear you, I have an authentic M1 with the liner with an ERDL cover but I also have another one with no cover but it has a better riveted suspension. Ha Ha listen to me making excuses, I just want to collect them all even been looking at some of the more rare Korean war helmets & covers. Actually there's an idea what about a Korean loadout :) see what happens when I start talking about this stuff ha ha

No..To be honest I wouldn't mind how old or warn out the cover looked as I kind of like them used looking.

• Advertisement

sliabh wrote: »
    I totally understand where you and FK are coming from. But it's my ROIGHT as a player to wear whateve,
    Entirely your right, and I won't tell you not to. Just be prepared to piss off some people sometimes, or cause offence.

It's within my rights to wear jeans, a dpm jacket, a balaclava and an armalite... but I won't. My choice.

We all have freedom of choice, but we must accept consequences.

It looks good alright, thats not going to cause many problems in Eire, but yeah, off topic.

I'm after getting a marushin m1 carbine myself (8mm) to go with a VC black pj look. But its for a theme even, and well... its expected. I'll be able to use it with my nam kit, but ive got a lovely g&p xm16 for that :D

Different loadouts... RLI... Rhodesian Light Infantry... very under done... and its simple :P the african patern jacket i forget the name of, jeans, chicom, or 38/44 pat, g3, ak, or whatever.

French resistance? Period civies, tricolour/free french symbol on an armband, and a sten, mp40, or k98... :D
    I'm doing that atm (working on) to go with my sten.

Advertisement