Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical Loadouts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

MonkeyGuy wrote: »
    Hmmm... CYMA eh?

Are you after the M1A1 Thomson Military, or the 1928 Chicago Typewriter? Reason I ask is, remember I mentioned about Aesthetics being crucial to era loadouts? Well...no one, bar ARES, has gotten the 1928 right yet...so if it's the Typewriter you're after, ARES would probably be the best to go for...purely because the bolt is actually in the right place.

Oh...and I realised/remembered another reason to own a Thompson...the G&P Alien Pulse Rifle conversion kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

Nah nah not A typewriter I'd want it for a WW2/Korean/Vietnam loadout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

I'm definitely interested in the M1 Carbine now. Basically the only bad thing I heard about it was, "Ehhts a peece ah shiih" so I suppose I can't base my opinion of it on that.

Saving that a Thompson or STEN would be nice. Heard some not-so-great things about the ASG STEN and can't seem to find the KA Thompson :confused:
    What did you hear abou the Agm sten? (ASG is AGM)
    whoever said the marushin m1 carbine was a pos, is talking out of thier hole too.
    Inari wrote: »
    There are a good few Thompson's out there:
    - Cyma
    - King Arms
    - ARES (Not sure if it's been released yet)
    - Snow Wolf

I've only ever handled and shot the KA and CYMA ones, and to be honest I prefer the CYMA. But the only way I'd ever have a thompson is if I was to go fedora + trenchcoat & pinstripe suit :cool:
    Snowwold IS cyma.
    King arms is a lovel one, it looks far nicer than the cyma, and ive owned the cyma in the past... It feels better, and its got nicer internals. The cyma guts are.... basic. Biggest problem? its nasty pot metal, the selector, safety, and mag release lever can all snap off fairly easily, and the mag release loves to do it.

Ares only one with an accurate 1928? Theres a good conversion kit out there for the mil version with the right bolt available... forget who does it...
    And don't forget TM... the original thompson :P I'd still rate the KA higher than it.

As for period accuracy.... typewriter thompsons were used in ww2 by the aussies and usmc in the early days.

To be honest if I can find a Carbine with mags I can afford, you'll be hard-pressed to change my mind.

redwolf .... in stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

WWII british airbourne with the red berets... mmm....
    xXx

One thing of note... period gear, the unit and insignia restrictions 'morally' placed on airsoft are more lax....

WW2 brit para is one of the few acceptable loadouts to wear the red beret and wings with.

However, rock up to an Irish site in a denison smock, and red beret.... and I wouldn't expect the 'cool that's so historically accurate' would be the first thing on people's minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

in my head it comes down to context and intent, as you say i would see it as inappropriate to rock up as ss or british paras to a sunday skirmish in the republic as both are liable to cause offense for different reasons but at the right event ( context ) you would have no issue

then there is also intent, this is down to the individual person, am i wearing this equipment because i have an interest in the subject or because i know i will get attention ? if your doing it for intention then i will be the first to tell you to f*** off tbh

Well said Puding, but there's a fine line between looking for attention and trying to do something different. If a lad does a British Para loadout, just to pull the piss from events in Northern Ireland, I'd be inclined to re-introduce my firing squad policy. However if someone likes the look of FALs/L1A1s and finds it handier to get Brit gear than Australian Vietnam gear, then it's obviously acceptable for him to expect a second glance because of his unique gear.

Well said Puding, but there's a fine line between looking for attention and trying to do something different. If a lad does a British Para loadout, just to pull the piss from events in Northern Ireland, I'd be inclined to re-introduce my firing squad policy. However if someone likes the look of FALs/L1A1s and finds it handier to get Brit gear than Australian Vietnam gear, then it's obviously acceptable for him to expect a second glance because of his unique gear.

we are running around with replica firearms and camo, we're the minority, we're actually doing a strange thing, we always need to be aware of the impact of what we do, be that the background of an event or a set of equipment, sometimes you need to make a compromise and be responsible, tbh if someone likes fals there are plenty of units to do other than para, simply removing all specific unit patchs for example and just go generic 60s cold war british

yes there are no laws against wearing this stuff but just beacuse you can wear anything does not mean you should

have respect, have knowledge and most of all just have common sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I would dare say - optimistically admittedly as I know there will be enough indoctrinated people who give auto 'f*ck you' responses without thinking ... whilst wearing Man U shirts ... - that a Para loadout from ww2, or iraq/afghanistan might prove more acceptable than something resembling 'the troubles' era.

Of course, as Puding has rightly said, it's all about context and the player's attitude to what they're representing. If it's about "the look" & historical re-enactment rather than glorification over controversial units/actions or some dubious personal agenda then I would like to think that people are sensible enough to appreciate the effort at least even if they personally don't go for it. It's no different to having someone rock up in Waffen SS kit.

Firekitten wrote: »
    redwolf .... in stock

€275 sweet! How much would postage and that be, and am I guarenteed it'll even make it through customs?

Customs will likely ask for your first born, as typical, but it will get through as the law isnt enforced yet... postage? heh, not sure. Not as much as buying it in Eire overall though.

As for the para thing... I remember Lemming once wanted a Snatch Landie for milsim games, to mount his future GPMG in... I advised against that one in Ireland....

Time and place... and then there's some skanger burning it out in the driveway.... I guess either 'look' is 'in theme'

Do you look Asian? Maybe a nice WWII jap load-out(you get to use samerai swords ;))
    xXx

wait.... but british dpm is ok?
    xXx

Not at all. I'm pretty much set on doing a Marine Korean loadout. I'd just need a slight bit of tweaking and I could do WW2 or Vietnam.

Ok I have the parts sorted for my BAR 10 sorted so I'll be selling it soon, along with some other stuff. That money is gonna go towards a new gun so I'm just gonna put a question out there the simplest way possible. Is it worth spending more money on getting an aesthetically pleasing gun from Nam or WW2, rather than getting a high-end gun from more modern times?

It honestly depends on what type of gun you like! everyone has different taste.
    xXx

It honestly depends on what type of gun you like! everyone has different taste.
    xXx

An M1 Carbine or Thompson. Or would I be better to go for a loadout using an ak or likewise?

Again, airsoft is completely up to whatever you as an individual prefers because everyone has different taste in load-out or guns you know?
    at the end of the day, it'll be you that will be wearing and using the gear!
    xXx

• Advertisement

You're making perfect sense, but I hate making decisions! See the thing is, I'd love a wood style gun, basically I would love a GBB carbine. My problem is that when I'm skirmishing, I want to be competitive. I'm not willing to sacrifice practicality for anything. Did I just answer my own question?

You're making perfect sense, but I hate making decisions! See the thing is, I'd love a wood style gun, basically I would love a GBB carbine. My problem is that when I'm skirmishing, I want to be competitive. I'm not willing to sacrifice practicality for anything. Did I just answer my own question?

yes you did, an aeg seems to be what your after

Looks like I'm heading down an AK path. Either NVA with a 47 or something with a 74 probably... Or does anyone have some godlike AEG that would allow me do a nice loadout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

AK74 is out of that period isn't it?

Also the LCT AK's are looking very nice.

47 for Nam, I meant a different loadout with the 74, Russian probably.

I just realised I've kinda gone circle, I'm back to SEALs :P

I'd like to do bad guys though, NVA or VC hard to do?

47 for Nam, I meant a different loadout with the 74, Russian probably.

I just realised I've kinda gone circle, I'm back to SEALs :P

I'd like to do bad guys though, NVA or VC hard to do?

Ok ok :rolleyes: Sorry about that.

VC is easy.... black bdus... remove the thigh pockets, get a chicom chest rig for like... €20?
    pop to local furnature store, buy a triangle rice hat style lamp shade, remove fittings, add chin strap, done :D or use an od boonie. Add sandals, and done :D

NVA is a lot harder, because gear has to be atleast repro, if not authentic... repro kit will cost you upto €150 for the loadout... vc, 40-50?

Sandals? Oh god... Where does one get Chicon chest rigs?

Sandals? Oh god... Where does one get Chicon chest rigs?

Ebay has really cheap china clones but an irish example here

• Advertisement

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=chicom+chest+rig

Ebay, €20 notes. Done. (the bulle is great)

or go to airsoft world in scotland, for £15, or flecktarn, for £15.

Don't bother with cheap chinese clones, the real are cheap enough as it is.

Advertisement