Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arma 2 Free, Arma 2 being given away for free

Options
  • 09-06-2011 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

In case anyones interested, BIS have just announced they are giving Arma 2 away for free, it doesn't have the campaign, but it has enough to give anyone a trial to see if they like it or if their pc can run it well. It has full armoury, editor and multiplayer with dedicated servers available. Its a great one to try out in coop with your friends, lots get hooked. It will be available in the next few days.

Main Features

Free Military Simulation

An authentic and accurate battlefield simulation, including bullet ballistics & deflection, material penetration and more. Unique and comprehensive AI combat-system for large-scale battles.

Free Armory

A comprehensive range of 300+ weapons, units and fully-usable armed or unarmed vehicles across air, land and water classes.

Free Unique Multiplayer

A wide variety of multiplayer game-modes are possible - from a range of co-op and PvP modes, to total mayhem! Many of them are ready to deploy from the get-go, while others can be created using the built-in mission editor, or freely downloaded from the Internet. Deploy user-made scenarios and play together on the same premium game-servers, as long as they don't depend on additional content not available within the already huge armory of over 300 authentic modern weapons, units and vehicles.

Free Dedicated Servers

Software for dedicated servers is available for users to host freely wherever and however they like across Linux and Windows OS platforms. Multiplayer with large-scale maps for 50+ live players and hundreds of AI units. User communities can host any type of games they like, the way they like - private or public - with stock game modes or custom ones, for the maximum number of players their hardware and connection can support.

Free Creativity

Quick mission templates, a powerful, built-in, easy to use SP/MP mission editor, and advanced scripting.

http://www.arma2.com/free

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It also lacks high res textures and mod support, but I certainly hope this gets it the attention it deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Spear wrote: »
    It also lacks high res textures and mod support, but I certainly hope this gets it the attention it deserves.

:rolleyes: Watch the video in HD, its not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Arma without mods wouldnt be very good.

dreamers75 wrote: »

We all were in awe of Arma 2 before the mods came along making it even better. You can knock hours of fun from the editor alone. For someone who has no idea what they're getting into, this opens the door and is a great way to drum up interest in Arma 3. I think its a great move, the full game is only 15 quid if they want mods:
    http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=30&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=57

I don't see any other devs out there giving away free games, others are killing support for theirs after a few months as they move their attention to something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hmm, always wondering what this game was like to play. I'll give it a whirl for da craìc

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Don't most servers run without mods? I always found annoying getting kicked off for running sound mods and the like. Oh and my aimbot of course.

Maximilian wrote: »
    Don't most servers run without mods? I always found annoying getting kicked off for running sound mods and the like. Oh and my crashbot of course.

fyp

Good thats it free and for only 15 blips cant go wrong.

We should get a server for this game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Tried this a few years ago but the character movement just felt so horrible and shítty, is it just me or what ?

Spunge wrote: »
    Tried this a few years ago but the character movement just felt so horrible and shítty, is it just me or what ?

No, you've not tried this, you may have tried the original demo (which is a laggy unoptimised pre-release stutterfest mess) or the original game. The game itself is nothing like it was at release, its got many optimisations, improvements and changes through patches, they've even tweaked the animation speeds in the last official patch in march, its still getting beta patches. Unlike other developers BIS support their games for many years and don't abandon the bugs.

If you have the original game, patch it up to date and see how it plays, all the multicore improvements in Arrowhead were ported back to Arma 2 through patches

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

fyp

Good thats it free and for only 15 blips cant go wrong.

We should get a server for this game :D

We should get two servers and then have an argument about the fact that there's two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

We getting 2 servers?

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I take it you need a monster PC to even think about playing this?

Grayditch wrote: »
    I take it you need a monster PC to even think about playing this?

I wouldn't think so, its at lower resolution detail than the original. Why not try it and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Cool, I might give it a bash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I bought this game during the Steam Christmas sale and I've never played it :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's rather good. I bought Arma II on release day and thought it was the biggest pile of crap ever. Very very buggy, uninstalled it after a week or so. Games been patched a few times since then and when Póg convinced me to reinstall it with the patches, I was in awe. The game had been fixed in so many ways, it was very playable.

Give it a try, and give it some time. Or join up with the lads on the Tactical Forum. Was on for a while not too long ago, was good fun

The campaign probably still has some, BIS don't make good campaigns. They try too hard and end up with something very big and usually broken, they don't play out like they should and the voice acting sucks. Most people don't bother with the campaign, I've not bothered with any of them, but I loved the small scenarios, this is where the game really shines

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The campaign probably still has some, BIS don't make good campaigns. They try too hard and end up with something very big and usually broken, they don't play out like they should and the voice acting sucks. Most people don't bother with the campaign, I've not bothered with any of them, but I loved the small scenarios, this is where the game really shines

User made campaigns i posted on the TS forum are very good, recomened them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I don't think my computer can run this so I won't be downloading it. With regards to the developers releasing buggy games I bought Arma 1 and it was a glitchfest that was a totally unplayable buggy mess without the application of massive patches. While I applaud the devs for not abandoning their games after a few months I think it is pretty poor of them to try and flog obviously broken, unfinished games in the first place. Perhaps Arma 3 will be different and be somewhat playable on release day but I doubt it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Just a bump to let people know that its available for download now.
    www.arma2.com/free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Glee :D

System requirements:
    Minimal PC System Requirements
    • Dual Core CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster)
    • 1 GB RAM
    • GPU (NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM
    • Windows XP
    • 5 GB free HDD space

Recommended PC System Requirements

• Quad Core CPU or fast Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)
    • 2 GB RAM
    • Fast GPU (NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or ATI Radeon 4850 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 512 or more MB VRAM
    • Windows XP or Vista
    • 5 GB free HDD space

I'm installing this now to see how it looks and plays, will report here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I really wanted to like this game when I tried the demo but just found it too buggy. I will pick up the free version over the weekend and try it out.
    Is there an in-game friends list? Or do you guys just meet up on a regular server?

Seifer wrote: »

Is there an in-game friends list? Or do you guys just meet up on a regular server?

We've not been playing, but keep an eye on this thread, may be something happening shortly. I'm itching to get back into it, just don't have thwe time to run a full time server
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056308639

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The original OpFlash is now ArmA: Cold War Assault, and free for any previous owners of OpFlash.

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/home/news/projects/235-arma-cold-war-assault-announced

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=121098

BIS allowed a mod team to port the entire Cold War Crisis to Arma 2. Wont work on the Arma Free version. full campaign to follow.

Its very well done same island with updated textures and buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Game seems like it could be fun but:

- im getting like 20-30 fps max on 3Ghz C2D + 6870 + 4GB RAM on lowest possible settings

- feels horribly awkward transitioning from walk to run etc. Well the whole movement just feels awkward in general

Spunge wrote: »
    Game seems like it could be fun but:

- im getting like 20-30 fps max on 3Ghz C2D + 6870 + 4GB RAM on lowest possible settings

- feels horribly awkward transitioning from walk to run etc. Well the whole movement just feels awkward in general

Something not right there, i get High with that exact setup.

latest drivers etc and leave the Video Memory at high or low dont use Default.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Or its locked FPS

• Advertisement

Or its locked FPS

Doubt it the game is a beast to run and scales up well.

Advertisement