Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arma 2 Free, Arma 2 being given away for free

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

but you can* lock the FPS to a range, like a variable v-sync of sorts.

*from the OpFlash vintage at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Spunge wrote: »
    Game seems like it could be fun but:

- im getting like 20-30 fps max on 3Ghz C2D + 6870 + 4GB RAM on lowest possible settings

- feels horribly awkward transitioning from walk to run etc. Well the whole movement just feels awkward in general

You should definitely be able to max it with antialiasing on normal, viewdistance on 3000. Set 3d resolution to the same as your monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i turned off v-sync in my driver, that got rid of the mouse lag.
    Could it be that i was playing on a heavily populated server ?

i turned off v-sync in my driver, that got rid of the mouse lag.
    Could it be that i was playing on a heavily populated server ?

That could be it.

Ok, i just ran the game on very high settings and i had GPU-Z running at the same time and i was getting 20ish fps (just below what id get on all low).

But it was showing GPU load @ 0%.
    Is this some sort of crazy CPU bottleneck ?

• Advertisement

Ok, i just ran the game on very high settings and i had GPU-Z running at the same time and i was getting 20ish fps (just below what id get on all low).

But it was showing GPU load @ 0%.
    Is this some sort of crazy CPU bottleneck ?

Turn post processing and antialiasing on low. Most people don't like PP any higher than low, one of its effects is motion and radial blur which can be nauseous.

Run it again then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How do you get the original older game? Is their a link somewhere? I have ARMA2 somewhere, it ran so slowly I never played it.

Think i'm just gonna give up. Runs too crappy online.

oh well.

BostonB wrote: »
    How do you get the original older game? Is their a link somewhere? I have ARMA2 somewhere, it ran so slowly I never played it.

You have the cd key? All you'd need is the .iso or the lend of a disk

• Advertisement

Just checked and I have the original disc and key but its Arma not Arma II. I was hoping to get the original Operation Flashpoint. Lost my copy of it years ago.

BostonB wrote: »
    Just checked and I have the original disc and key but its Arma not Arma II. I was hoping to get Operation Flashpoint. Lost my copy of it years ago.

You can buy Combined Ops for €25 direct from the developer
    http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=33&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=57

OFP isn't available anymore

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I want to love this game but the controls are just awful at times.

I'm currently trying to remap the aircraft controls to my xbox controller with limited success. Any tips to get them under some sort of control?

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Pity ARMA is too slow on my laptop. OFP was ok.

5uspect wrote: »

I'm currently trying to remap the aircraft controls to my xbox controller with limited success. Any tips to get them under some sort of control?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61200348

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Thanks, that's fine but I'm having trouble with setting up secondary things like freelook.

I'd like to use the left thumbstick as cyclic and right as collective controls in helis with left and right bumpers as rudder. For fixed wing I'd probably use triggers as analogue throttle (and maybe even collective too). So far so good this seems to more or less work.

I would also like to use the right thumbstick as freelook activated by clicking the stick. However I don't be able to set up a freelook toggle. I need to assign a freelook on key and a different freelook off key.

It's a similar story for autohover. it's two key assignments rather than a simple toggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

5uspect wrote: »

Why :confused: Seriously?

Game uses almost every key and then X2 , some people have had success maping a controller but makes no sense why anyone would do it.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Why :confused: Seriously?

Game uses almost every key and then X2 , some people have had success maping a controller but makes no sense why anyone would do it.

It makes perfect sense, a controller is a much more natural way to fly.
    I want to fly a helicopter the way you fly a real one, not learn to play the piano on my keyboard.

Also, the tutorial is doing my head in. It's completely hopeless for the stated purpose. It tells me to use the action menu to complete some task but the action menu hasn't been explained at all and it isn't listed in the controls.

Why do I need to navigate a complex menu system to select a weapon from a box? I've just spent ten minutes trying to select a Javelin in AT training and then get shot in the head by some NPCs for my trouble. Grrr :mad:

This game reminds me so much of a CAD package called ProEngineer. It has an absolutely hideous context menu system where you get lost trying to do the simplest thing. Every other CAD package can manage the same tasks easily (even other packages from the same company) but ProE wants you to hunt through a million different menus before it will let you do anything and then it won't let you exit out of them easily if you change your mind.

Hopefully I can find some decent youtube tutorials that explain these menu's clearly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

What's the best way to get into online play (guides, servers etc)?

I've had the game for years but I just don't understand the multiplayer aspect. I just join a game and spend the next 20mins running towards a random town (sometimes following someone) before being shot.

Advertisement