Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White iPhone 4 fault in a month - brand new or refurb?

• 09-06-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

A month ago I bought a white iPhone 4 for my wife from the Apple store in Belfast.

There is a very thin vertical line which starts almost at the top of the screen all the way down almost to the bottom. It's been like that since we bought it, however we've been away and I only got round to calling AppleCare now. I'd take it straight back to Belfast but, as we live in Waterford, it's quite a distance to travel.

Anyway, chap on the phone at AppleCare said they'll send a replacement and advised me of the replacement process. I asked will it be a brand new replacement, being that it's a month old and was faulty since new, he said yes.

He told me how to back up the current iPhone and make sure that only the iPhone is returned etc. Towards the end of the call I double-checked with him that the replacement was to be brand new. BUT, now he said well it probably will be but I can't guarantee it - it might be refurbished. Any problems with it though, I can contact customer relations.

Not feeling very good about this, I called the Apple store in Belfast. They explained to me that they only give brand new replacements within 14 days, after that time they're remanufactured but to a very good standard, virtually brand new.

I still feel that I'm entitled to a brand new replacement, not a virtually brand new replacement. What are peoples' thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

A month ago I bought a white iPhone 4 for my wife from the Apple store in Belfast.

There is a very thin vertical line which starts almost at the top of the screen all the way down almost to the bottom. It's been like that since we bought it, however we've been away and I only got round to calling AppleCare now. I'd take it straight back to Belfast but, as we live in Waterford, it's quite a distance to travel.

Anyway, chap on the phone at AppleCare said they'll send a replacement and advised me of the replacement process. I asked will it be a brand new replacement, being that it's a month old and was faulty since new, he said yes.

He told me how to back up the current iPhone and make sure that only the iPhone is returned etc. Towards the end of the call I double-checked with him that the replacement was to be brand new. BUT, now he said well it probably will be but I can't guarantee it - it might be refurbished. Any problems with it though, I can contact customer relations.

Not feeling very good about this, I called the Apple store in Belfast. They explained to me that they only give brand new replacements within 14 days, after that time they're remanufactured but to a very good standard, virtually brand new.

I still feel that I'm entitled to a brand new replacement, not a virtually brand new replacement. What are peoples' thoughts?

You can't tell the difference between a new one and a refurb tbh.

Actually a percentage of 'new' phones would have gone through rework at some point in the manufacturing process.

Honestly you'll get it, it will have plastic and that jazz all over it, no scratches or whateve, same standard as a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

To be honest that's what the chap from Apple store Belfast was saying, that their remanufactured units are virtually identical to brand new units.

Should be ok then I suppose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Having sold iPhones for years I can honestly say you won't no the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Same with the laptops and desktops, you won't even notice a difference. They won't sell it as a refurb unless it's in top condition.

You can also assume that (although not definitely so) the chances of a refurbed model failling is lower, due to the additional quality checks undergone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

All their refurbs are essentially new. They have all new covers, guaranteed 100% scratch and mark free and you still have the original warranty. I guarantee you you will not be able to tell if it's brand new or refurbished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

as the other posters have said it will be like new.

I got a few 3gs iphones replaced and you wouldnt know the difference in them at all, like a brand new phone

Advertisement