Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to live in Cork City

Options
  • 09-06-2011 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there! I'm a foreigner that has been living in Cork for a while already. I'm currently living on Mercy hospital area, and I need to move fairly soon, probably within the month. I'm working on Blackpool, and I'm looking for a nice place to stay on a quiet area, but I don't know which areas are quiet and which ones are rough. I've heard people saying the northside is rougher than the southside, people saying that was true 10 years ago... and frankly I don't know what to do anymore.

I found a nice-looking house on Fairhill, and a couple interesting ones on Blarney St. Another one on Church Road, Blackrock...Are those ok places to live? I know this question has been asked a lot in those forums, but I'm really lost

We don't have a car, so I'm looking for a place near my work, or with an easy commute. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Satoshi wrote: »
    Hi there! I'm a foreigner that has been living in Cork for a while already. I'm currently living on Mercy hospital area, and I need to move fairly soon, probably within the month. I'm working on Blackpool, and I'm looking for a nice place to stay on a quiet area, but I don't know which areas are quiet and which ones are rough. I've heard people saying the northside is rougher than the southside, people saying that was true 10 years ago... and frankly I don't know what to do anymore.

I found a nice-looking house on Fairhill, and a couple interesting ones on Blarney St. Another one on Church Road, Blackrock...Are those ok places to live? I know this question has been asked a lot in those forums, but I'm really lost

We don't have a car, so I'm looking for a place near my work, or with well public transport to work. Thanks

Church Road is lovely. I'd prefer it to Blarney Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Somewhere like Ballyphehane / Turner's Cross would have you on the no3 bus.
    Or St Luke's / Ballyvolane for walking distance?

Church Road is good distance to walk from Blackpool does the no2 go down that road or is the Skehard Road?

Blarney St isn't great I have to say and that's from someone who grew up around Gurranabraher. Fair Hill seems ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

evilivor wrote: »
    Church Road is lovely. I'd prefer it to Blarney Street.

+1, It's not to far from town either.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Church Road would be the nicest of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Church Road is a lovely area, but not great if you want to be close to work. You would have to walk to town and then get the number 3 bus. Unless you would consider cycling to Blackpool? Flat enough journey.

Fairhill - depends on where, but thats generally an ok area. Better than Blarney street anyway - lots of pubs on that street, can be a bit messy.

With no transport, I'd go for Fairhill......walking distance to work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Church road is a good 4 miles from town. It's a lovely area but would be quite a trek to Blackpool. Blarney street is really rough from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

As you already work in Blackpool have you considered Blackpool itself to live in? It has plenty of shops, a lovely little park (adjacent to the cinema), a city farm, is very close to town and has a mixture of old and modern buildings. I live here myself and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marksparks08

We don't have a car, so I'm looking for a place near my work, or with an easy commute. Thanks
    10 years ago yes it was like usa vs bin laden, now its not to bad. lower blarney st would be more useful for you to walk to work as the walk home wouldnt be pleasant if you lived up the top,likewise for fairhill.church rd isnt as convienient for your work purposes but its a nice area... no 2 bus has a bus stop on church rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Satoshi

Thank you for your answers guys :) I've considered Blackpool itself but I only found one in the "lower" part of Blackpool and I've heard it's not so nice at night, and I couldn't find any apartment that allows pets and it's under 900€ in the "nicer" Blackpool area.

I would like to be near Blackpool but I'm not opposed to commuting to live in a nice area. I think Blackrock has amenities nearby, right? If I took the Church Road house I would need to take numer 2 back to Merchant's Quay and then number 3 to go to work. It's sort of a drag, yeah, but I've done worse. I will take a look also to the Fairhill house, I just hope it's not too big of a slope.

Thanks again for your answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Thank you for your answers guys :) I've considered Blackpool itself but I only found one in the "lower" part of Blackpool and I've heard it's not so nice at night, and I couldn't find any apartment that allows pets and it's under 900€ in the "nicer" Blackpool area.

I would like to be near Blackpool but I'm not opposed to commuting to live in a nice area. I think Blackrock has amenities nearby, right? If I took the Church Road house I would need to take numer 2 back to Merchant's Quay and then number 3 to go to work. It's sort of a drag, yeah, but I've done worse. I will take a look also to the Fairhill house, I just hope it's not too big of a slope.

Lovely, generally safe cycle from Church Road to Blackpool if you want to buy a bike, get fitter and save money on bus fair. You can going along the old railway line, the Marina, up the quays, out beyond the brewery to Blackpool. Easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 marksparks08

amenties are endless really mahon point is a 15-20 min walk an douglas a quick bus ride...id get the no 2 to town an walk by the time you get on/off buses an through traffic etc youd be nearly in blackpool

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

I hate the cycle from the Marina to the docks, otherwise as Evilivor says its a lovely cycle from Blackrock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Most of what is said about Blackpool and the Northside is the same recycled shít-talk, Although lower Blarney Street and some parts of Blackpool are very dull, Have a good look on Google Earth to familiarise yourself with the area, There are loads of places off the main roads that most people would never notice, Dublin Hill Ballyvolane might be a good location for you to look up, Church Road is a nice place but realistically you will need to use the bus to go anywhere and taxis late at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Blackpool is a great area I think - plenty of amenities, walking distance from town yet far enough for you to have space/quietness. It used to be really dreary and run-down but regeneration has given it a huge lift. Looks great now while still retaining its old-skool vibe. The houses in Ardpatrick are lovely - across the road from Heineken and up the hill - if you're interested in a house-share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it really depends on your budget,
    , some of the new apartments in blackpool are nice looking, but seem a bit expensive, it would be handy to live near work, church road is a bit of a trek to blackpool without a car you could take the number 10 bus and walk to blackpool, but it would take a while,
    blarney street might be a small bit dodgy, i lived near it and without starting an argument it wasnt nice

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Blackpool has really come along in the last few years, went through a bad spell once the flyover was built but with all the new apartments etc it has come along. Very handy with the shopping centre as well. OP is right though - some of the apartment cost a bomb! And as a pet owner, I found it hard to find somewhere in the area. (Unless I went home to me Mammy :))
    Lower Farranree, Commons Road would be an option? Or the lower half of Dublin Hill maybe?

Good luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Satoshi

I went to visit the Church Road apartment and it was lovely, the commute is not too bad so I think I may have a new home :) I'd better learn to drive soon, though. Thank you guys for your answers!

Advertisement