Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun cleanin kit

Options
  • 09-06-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just looking for best place to get a cleaning kit, online or around dublin.
    Ta lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Personally I dont think that any 1 kit offers eerything you need unless yout willing to pay big €€€ which will leave you with bits in the kit that you dont use.

IMO your better off building your own kit that works for you out of bits and bobs that you read about or are reccomended.

I use and swear by snake bores. (pick them up on ebay for peanuts as there around €30 here) For a shotgun its a matter of wetting the snake bore with oil and pulling it through the barrel..... done....

Use old rags/ tooth brushes...... cheap and will take off 90% of the dirt your encounter (unless you let carbon build up and harden)

Cleaning oils.... again its a personal thing with people here. I perfer to use a dedicated oil, dedicated cleaner. I dont like 3in1s like CLP BreakFree, I cant and havent seen how the same fluid is going to clean it as well as lubricate and protect from rust.....Oh and the army use it so it has to be 1 of the cheapist on the market !

I use militec to lubricate and MPro 7 for cleaners.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

thanks GH, where do you get your oils ebay is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I get em from brownells in the US .... works out a little more expensive but its worth it IMO.

KG cleaning products are available around several shops, I wouldnt know if theres any around you. There a good product that come highly reccomended .... but there not for me.

Its really up to you to test and see wth you like

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I'm with gun happy on this. The only way is to get it bit by bit,then you'll not be getting stuck with bits of sh!te that you'll never use. Just like any good fly tying kit,tool kit,reloading kit or camera kit,when you buy a set up that someone else put together it will always be missing one thing and have too much of another. Get yourself a good set of brushes,a decent rod(no pun intended)Hoppes #9 solvent,a good de-greaser,can of rem-oil,good quality patches,a couple of bore snakes(i never go rifle shooting without one in my pocket,every time the mag empties just pull it through once.keeps the barrel in good nick til you give it a proper clean),cloth for oiling and a little fishing tackle box to keep it together. And NEVER put your gun away without cleaning it,no matter if you fire 2 shots or 200! Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

ya thanks for the advice im a newbie to the shooting so just trying to pick up advice from the experts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

Thanks for the good advise. I'm going to look in to the snake bores

• Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭JasonBourne

That's a really nice kit and great value. I might be putting my name down for one of them!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭JasonBourne

well i just bought one so should have it by the end of the week, will let you know what it like.

• Advertisement

Thanks cuz I need a new one. Only ave a small kit I picked up in John o briens

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

One piece cleaning rod. Stay away from 2/3/4 peice rods. They can "bend" when being pushed down the bore and may slowly damage the bore from constant cleaning with it. Also with the one piece rod look for a coated rod. Prevents any damage when using. Good makes would be;
    • Parker Hale
    • Bore Tech
    • Tetra
    • Tipton
    Next on the list would the cleaning products. For rimfires there is no need for solvents as the rounds contain no copper to cause serious fouling. A good oil would be all thats really needed.
    • Hoppes
    • Kirkland
    • Napier
    • Tetra
    • Butch's
    • M-Pro
    • KG
    For centrefire rifles you need the oils but also some solvents to remove the copper fouling. Most of these need to be applied liberally and left for anywhere between 5 minutes up to 24 hours depending on brand. They "dissolve" the copper and allow for full cleaning. It only needs done every so often, as it would be a deep clean. Everyone will have different opinions on how often, but you will find you rrifle likes to fire dirty or clean and will adapt your cleaning to suit. Some brands of solvents are;
    • Hoppes No.9
    • Butch's Boreshine
    • M-pro 7
    • KG 12
    • Forrest Foam
    A "vital" piece of kit (IMO) is a bore guide. They are not overly expensive but provide a good deal of protection to your chamber when cleaning. They simply sit in your rifle where your bolt should be and allow easy insertion of the cleaning rod and will not allow it to constantly strike the "face" of your chamber. Some good makes are;
    • BoreTech
    • Hoppes Universal Bore Guide
    • Lucas
    • Anschutz (Own brand for rimfire rifles)
    • Dewey
    Next for rifle would be the attachments for you rod. The standard would be a;
    • Jag (for your patches)
    • Wire/Nylon brush (to agitate the fouling)
    • Mop (to polish after all is done)
    Lastly a bag of atches of proper size depending on the caliber you use. As in 2" round/square patches for a .308, but not for a rimfire as it would not go through the rifle.

All of the above stuff is for rifles, but also for shotguns. It merely comes in bigger sizes. As with a rimfire a shotgun never has serious fouling and usually a good brushing, oiling then pilishing will keep her right.

Alot of people overlook cleaning gear yet spend a fortune on the gun itself. I know that i wan the best i can afford to inimise any potential damage tomy firearms because of a cheap kit. It could cost you more in the long run.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement