Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon affiliate sales

Options
  • 09-06-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Anyone on here using Amazon for sales e.g. niche sites selling ipad covers etc.

I know the commission is not that great but if you had 5-10 niche sites all selling products you could possibly do well so I believe.

any input would be great as I'm thinking of getting into it.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It used to be fantastic using their API, but they've imposed very strict limits on the number of queries per hour etc., so nowadays it kinda sucks ..

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭theshamu

Been researching affiliate marketing for the past year or so but not sure what road to go down, feels like my head is going to burst!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Amazon associates and the like are kinda rubbishy now, as Blacknight correctly pointed out.

If I were you I'd sort out your verticals, and what kind of offers you want to run and how you want to run them and then find a network that caters best to that.

Have a look on wickedfire for details of networks people us, although be careful of some of the dodgy lot on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

amazon is a trusted brand on the net you you would see greater conversions, why dont you just try it out and see how you get on, i think amazon is a great starting point

amazon is a trusted brand on the net you you would see greater conversions, why dont you just try it out and see how you get on, i think amazon is a great starting point

Unfortunately there's a little more science to it than that. Amazon do not have the same reliance on affiliates because of the nature of their brand. The CTR on amazon banners tends to be poor because they are not always the nicest, and unless you are linking to a specific product with a "buy now" call to action, its very difficult to keep your cookie as the most recent so you may not even get credit for shoppers you create.

There's a large amount of programmes and styles you can use, but too many people fall into the trap of thinking Brand = Success.

• Advertisement

Cheers Gazz,

I have a hand full of products I have researched into that I could possibly rank high for. Might be a good starting point alright..

Trashbat wrote: »
    Unfortunately there's a little more science to it than that. Amazon do not have the same reliance on affiliates because of the nature of their brand. The CTR on amazon banners tends to be poor because they are not always the nicest, and unless you are linking to a specific product with a "buy now" call to action, its very difficult to keep your cookie as the most recent so you may not even get credit for shoppers you create.

There's a large amount of programmes and styles you can use, but too many people fall into the trap of thinking Brand = Success.

Thanks for that,

I would be going for a niche product eg. 'Casio Digital Calculator' so might work out ok if there are enough searches for the product.

theshamu wrote: »
    Thanks for that,

I would be going for a niche product eg. 'Casio Digital Calculator' so might work out ok if there are enough searches for the product.

Remember if you have that product in mind, check the companies website to see if they have an affiliate programme. May get you better payment terms.

Trashbat wrote: »
    Remember if you have that product in mind, check the companies website to see if they have an affiliate programme. May get you better payment terms.

Never thought of that, great tip, thanks.

theshamu wrote: »
    Never thought of that, great tip, thanks.

And as well as that, always ask for more. The worst they'll say is no. If they say they'll pay you €10 per sale, turn around and say "Oh, I could drive better traffic to that if it paid at €13". You'll probably get €11.50

• Advertisement
Advertisement