Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ace Combat Assault Horizon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking forward to this, but a little bit worried that they seem to have gone for the 'epic explosions' direction. It still looks good, but the close combat looks a bit weird. I loved the last few games though, so i'll probably like this. Let's just hope the story isnt completely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,331 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Didn't expect a PC port but nice to see Ace Combat up on the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

this looks SO. FREAKING. GOOD.

10 minutes from the 1st mission has been released. I'm not sure i like the close quarter fighting, but it looks pretty amazing.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/close-range-assault-ace-combat/716905

This and a ZOE3 would have sent me over the edge for buying a PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Youtube link for that 10 min flight gameplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

New ace trailer, looks impressive

stop it stop it stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Just played the demo there. Not bad at all. I think I'll buy it. Dog fight mode is kinda cool and the choppers handle fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

loved the demo, the dogfight mode is really classy, ill defo pick it up when its cheaper

• Advertisement

Some reviews are out now. Getting pretty mixed scores from the main sites (Eurogamer 80%, Gamespot 55%, 1UP 33%). Some of what i've read really doesn't fill me with confidence. Apparently it's dumbed down quite a bit (removing team mate orders for example). It's also supposed to be stupidly easy.

http://kotaku.com/5849298/ace-combat-assault-horizon-review-scores-steadily-gain-altitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

This game is awful, not the Ace Combat of old by a big margin. However if that doesn't bother you then it's ok, just ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sometimes its best to read threads backwards,i wish i did just now. it went something like this

:pac::D:mad::eek::(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

This is a serious let down. The conflicting reviews don't help assuage my thoughts.

Have any boardsies played it properly?

This is a serious let down. The conflicting reviews don't help assuage my thoughts.

Have any boardsies played it properly?

Have a go at the demo if you can, I heard that it's a fairly accurate representation of what the full game is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Have a go at the demo if you can, I heard that it's a fairly accurate representation of what the full game is like.

The demo is bang on what the game is like.

Worst Ace Combat ever. As an Ace Combat fan the Gamespot review is bang on.
    AC5 is still the best one out there then AC4. Zero is a nice addon to 5.

Assault Horizon is destroyed with the on rails quick time events. It says they are optional but they are not for enemy flight leads unless you want to waste 20+ missiles to try and nail them. The gun is useless and I finished the AC6 game using guns only so I know how to fly and use the gun.

AC6 is a far, far better game if you can look past the corney story they stuck onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Balls.... One of my favourite series

:(

I played the demo and I'm really conflicted.

On the plus side the action's fast and furious and it's nice to have real life settings. The close in system is good for action but its where the negatives come out.

The gun is next to useless. In the game it should be shredding the engines as they planes are so close. Also, no aircraft should survive that long from the battering of missiles. I know this is an arcadey game but there's always been an element of realism in the series. Outside of the close combat system, it seems a little bit harder to shoot down the enemy. The Helicopter mission is crap, I can't get the aiming reticule to work properly. It's a little frustrating.

However I enjoyed bits of it and I've always been a fan of the series. I want to see more planes and more story. I'm stuck between getting it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Playing this now, and I think it's excellent. Duno what you're all on about with the guns, they're just as effective as in the previous game

The demo is on Easy mode, so its set up for arcadey style action fun. The actual game is much harder and one of the more intense gamse I've played in a while. Just finished one particular mission drenched in sweat. Need a break after that

• Advertisement

al28283 wrote: »
    Duno what you're all on about with the guns, they're just as effective as in the previous game

In AC6, you can destroy a fighter from about 4 times the max gun range in AH with a half second burst. And that would be on Ace difficulty. The guns are nerfed big time in AH.

al28283 wrote: »
    The demo is on Easy mode, so its set up for arcadey style action fun.

The demo is on idiot proof mode imo. It's not even fun, it's a series of quick time events on rails just like the full game. Try the older AC games for proper arcadey fun where the game does not play itself, without silly gimmicks.

The demo is on idiot proof mode imo. It's not even fun, it's a series of quick time events on rails just like the full game. Try the older AC games for proper arcadey fun where the game does not play itself, without silly gimmicks.

Nope, dunno what you're playing but they're not quicktime events. They still require you to actually play unlike quicktime events. And I'm slaughtering guys on MP with the guns. Try actually playing the game before commenting on it. I find it quite a bit tougher than AC4, 5 or 6 and I've been playing every minute of it

The demo is bang on what the game is like.

Worst Ace Combat ever. As an Ace Combat fan the Gamespot review is bang on.
    AC5 is still the best one out there then AC4. Zero is a nice addon to 5.

Assault Horizon is destroyed with the on rails quick time events. It says they are optional but they are not for enemy flight leads unless you want to waste 20+ missiles to try and nail them. The gun is useless and I finished the AC6 game using guns only so I know how to fly and use the gun.

AC6 is a far, far better game if you can look past the corney story they stuck onto it.

Agree 100%. I can't believe the positive reviews. It just confirms the view that most critics have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to certain not so popular genres of gaming and hence when a game has been dumbed down and simplified they give it a positive review simply because they can beat it.

There is a significant amount of Ace Combat who think this is a step in the wrong direction and I do hope that Namco is aware of this and fix it because as a series it's incredible even when it's a little far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Have only played Ace Combat 6 in the series and have had a quick go with the demo.
    Didn't sit well with me.
    Dog fight mode is a bit bizzare, you just automatically follow the other plane :confused:

I think I'll be leaving this one to dance with the angels

dloob wrote: »
    Have only played Ace Combat 6 in the series and have had a quick go with the demo.
    Didn't sit well with me.
    Dog fight mode is a bit bizzare, you just automatically follow the other plane :confused:

I think I'll be leaving this one to dance with the angels

You don't automatically follow the plane, only on easy mode, you have to keep up with it yourself

what are the controls like on the ace settings

Overheal wrote: »
    what are the controls like on the ace settings

You can switch controls to the be the same as ace combat 6

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Finding it very boring...I love flying games and thought AC6 was pretty good but this one sucks balls...
    My team mates are a complete shower of wasters and all they're really doing is fannying around and wrecking my head..
    After you shoot down the first one or two planes it gets very monotonous..oh look..another 10 planes to shoot down...it reminds me of World of Warcraft where you have to grind skills to get ahead in the game..
    But at least I can trade it in against Batman on Friday...only problem is I can only play it in 20 min timeframes and mightn't have enough time to finish it :(

• Advertisement

That above paragraph and the majority of this thread has put me off it. I might just give it a rental. I wanted to try Forza too but it looks like that wins. Should have stuck to the same old formula and beefed up parts of a liked game. The new additions e.g close in fighting have not gone down well with fans.

Advertisement