Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could I put 4.68GB of data onto a 4.7GB DVD or would I risk losing something?

• 09-06-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

I need to burn music onto a DVD but the music totals up to 4.68GB and its a 4.7GB disc. Is ALL of this 4.7GB available for use? Or is it maybe only really 4.6 or 4.5 because there is pre-written things on it?

If I try to put this 4.68GB onto it, will I lose some?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It depends how you define a kilobyte, whether it is 1000 or 1024. So you'll see different readings depending on whether you are looking at the explorer window, file properties etc.

The actual size is something like 4.36GB or 4482MB or 4,580,000 KB if that makes any sense :pac: (just approx numbers)

Just drag it into your ripping app and see if it allows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Alas no , your standard 4.7GB is actually only ~4.38GB in computer terms . As with hard disks , manufacturers use a different method of measuring capacity to how Windows will see it . K=1000 as opposed to K=1024 .

Standard DVD+R capacity is 4.378GB , DVD-R is 4.384GB (though I recall a long time ago reading that DVD-R capacity can vary slightly whereas DVD+R dont vary) .

I'd be inclined not to burn the absolute maximum capacity of data but you can safely go to within a few MB . Set your burning application to burn at 4x rather than 16x to reduce the risk of errors and check the disk before deleting the source files .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Ok guys thanks for your help, forgot about the 1000 and 1024 thing.

Helped a lot anyway.

Advertisement