Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency lawn question?

Options
  • 09-06-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Folks,
    My Dad has a large lawn, probably about 4 acres in size. He gets a bit of help from a local gardener to look after it and it's his pride and joy. He went on holidays last week for a few weeks and his gardener has accidentally sprayed the whole lawn with "Clinic Ace" - which I've learned, after searching, is a glyphosate. We only realised this when the grass started turning yellow a few days ago and the gardener fronted up to the error.
    My Dad's back home in a week and will be devastated -is there anything we can do (knowing nothing about gardening) to help the situation at this point?

Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

drumm23 wrote: »
    Folks,
    My Dad has a large lawn, probably about 4 acres in size. He gets a bit of help from a local gardener to look after it and it's his pride and joy. He went on holidays last week for a few weeks and his gardener has accidentally sprayed the whole lawn with "Clinic Ace" - which I've learned, after searching, is a glyphosate. We only realised this when the grass started turning yellow a few days ago and the gardener fronted up to the error.
    My Dad's back home in a week and will be devastated -is there anything we can do (knowing nothing about gardening) to help the situation at this point?

Many thanks for any advice.

Thats a very unfortunate error. Nothing you can do except observe the lawn completely die within 7 -10 days. You will have to start from scratch as that particular ingredient will kill the root system also.

Mind boggles haow such an error could occur? Do people not read/check labels before application?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Thanks Sonnenblumen. That's depressing.
    The gardener says that my Dad left the Clinic bottle where he normally leaves the bottles of whatever you're supposed to spay on the grass.

Can't believe this, it's his pride and joy.
    Maybe we can get some rolls of lawn... presumably that's an ultra expensive option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Oh my god that's terrible. Reminds me of the time my mother was in a hurry to get out to a wedding and picked up a can of Mr Sheen instead of hair laquer and sprayed her hair. Not pretty.
    I can't imagne there would be a supplier who would have 4 acres of turf. And the cost would be rediculous. Havn't a clue about the best way to go about seeding an area that big. Contact your local council and talk to someone in the parks department. Tell them your story. They should be able to advise the best way to go about tackling such a big job. Or try golf courses and see if you can speak to a grounds keeper.
    Best not to tell the old man until he gets bck. No point runiing the rest of his holiday. Your gardener is going to be very busy this summer! Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

OMG, and to quote Dell Boy, WHAT A PLONKER!!
    Ya unfortunately theres nothing you can do about it only reseed the whole area. It'll cost a bit.
    As for laying turf on 4 acres, are you mad?? -that would be insanly expensive, $$$$.
    Asking the council or golf courses about it is a waste of time as they will have no interest in this type of thing and will just fob you off.
    The cheapest way out of it is if you know any farmer who has the gear to do the job, like a rotovator, and grass seeders can be hired if necessary from some agri merchants. 4 acres is a good area an will call for the big guns.
    Alternatively the next port of call would be a landscping company you can contact a landscaper from the golden pages or somewhere. I also think the time for reseeding has passed, it can be done up to the end of may and then again from september on. so you may have no lawn for a while. However the upshot is that the glyphosate will knock out all the weeds too. Good luck

Advertisement