Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie New map?

• 09-06-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

It's been suggested a lot on the boards.ie main thread so I thought I'd pop up a poll to see what people want to do.

If we made a new server it was said we'll put the current map up as a saved file for people who've made big things.

Personally I think we should, as said there is so little community spirit atm.
    There are also some things that shouldn't be on a survival server like a giant Lol? The server has become a free build type server. Obviously I don't want to be too nazi like saying you can't have things like that but this isn't a free build server and in keeping with the general air of a survival server I think it's appropriate to say such.

Anyways what do you think and why?

New map for the Boards.ie Server 40 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    85% 34 votes
    Maybe
    15% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

is it the case that, on a survival server, it will always get to a stage where most of the players have accumulated enough resources that they dont need to worry about survival? then it becomes a free build type thing? having not played on any other servers for very long i dont know and was just wondering about it.

if it does turn out that the server moves on to a new map what do you think about using a world seed to give us some interesting scenery? i want epic mountains!

im not sure about a new map tbh, ive built a lot of stuff but on the other hand am gettin a bit bored with nothing to do.

comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

wires wrote: »
    is it the case that, on a survival server, it will always get to a stage where most of the players have accumulated enough resources that they dont need to worry about survival? then it becomes a free build type thing? having not played on any other servers for very long i dont know and was just wondering about it.

if it does turn out that the server moves on to a new map what do you think about using a world seed to give us some interesting scenery? i want epic mountains!

im not sure about a new map tbh, ive built a lot of stuff but on the other hand am gettin a bit bored with nothing to do.

comments?

The first point of it becoming eventually becoming a free build server had me thinking of what it'd be like to have a server for 3-5 months max then we do a new map again, potentially in a new environment each time?

Yea I think that it'd be cool to get a good seed for the map. I just think it is getting boring, it's nothing like the first time about 20-30 people were running around building their hosuees at the start, it was such good craic doing it all together.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I don't mind either way but if we do reroll, I think:

- Border limited to a small area at first to prevent sprawling
    - Limited number of homes, 15 is way too much, at least that way a train system would work as its intended for
    - Keep Lockette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I don't really know which way to go on this...I can understand people saying it's a bit 'Freebuild-ish' at the moment but really if you think about it, once you have a house/mine/food on a survival server it becomes freebuild, mobs aren't really a threat once you have a sword and a house to fall back to so there's nothing to really 'survive' and all you do is build.

Admittedly it is a bit stale at this stage, I have chests full of coal/iron/wood/stone/diamond/tools and I've hit the minecraft wall so to speak with nothing more left to do.

Even if the server rests the same thing will happen, it's just too easy to 'survive' and thrive in MC, I've seen a number of Lets Play commentators on YT say the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

Id prefer a new map but as said with a seed for some interesting results :) As a reasonably new member I find the server a bit stale and a new map would allow for a reasonable community build, without so much derelict content, deffo save the old map though some amazing stuff built on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd like to see a new map even though i've put a lot of time and effort into building stuff on the current map. But that doesn't really matter since my interest in the server is waning. I've been spending more time playing single player lately than playing on the server.

Also i thin if we do start a new map we should have a few restrictios on what can be built so we don't end up with another gigantic upside down pyramid. Maybe a "If it's more suited to a creative server it's not allowed" type rule. I think a town with buildings that at least are more similiar in style looks a lot better too.

Also the cut down on number of homes would be a good idea as well. Maybe just the one home and the spawn pointlike we had when we started the current map. At least then there'll be an impetus to build rail, road and canal networks.

I know i sound like a broken record at this stage in regard to the Towny mod but i think it be a good addition too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'd like to see a new map even though i've put a lot of time and effort into building stuff on the current map. But that doesn't really matter since my interest in the server is waning. I've been spending more time playing single player lately than playing on the server.

Also i thin if we do start a new map we should have a few restrictios on what can be built so we don't end up with another gigantic upside down pyramid. Maybe a "If it's more suited to a creative server it's not allowed" type rule. I think a town with buildings that at least are more similiar in style looks a lot better too.

Also the cut down on number of homes would be a good idea as well. Maybe just the one home and the spawn pointlike we had when we started the current map. At least then there'll be an impetus to build rail, road and canal networks.

I know i sound like a broken record at this stage in regard to the Towny mod but i think it be a good addition too.

Yeah, well as said before Towny would have went on sooner, but the server has been so unstable lately, adding extra files to process has been out of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

Who says a new world is gonna fix any lag too......be sickened if we start over and its as bad as before... :rolleyes:

I can throw a new one on temporarily for a few hours or so with a buttload of plugins during the weekend if you wanna see how it runs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

New map with Lockette, Towny, some sort of border guard and maybe Home/Spawn/Back (although I'm not a big fan of the latter).

• Advertisement

A server without Back, that would indeed be a good challenge! I used to avoid using it, set my one and only home at a checkpoint in a cave, then move onwards. If I get killed, I go back to the checkpoint and do a legger down the cave to get my stuff before they disappear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 NimRodMS

Well I voted no, but, the only way I think it would be cool is if we put in the town addon and an economy with shops and that.

After we all build our 10x10 houses in a new town, what do you think is going to happen next? it's going to be the same. You build for something to do. Otherwise, there's no reason to log on.

I started playing over the weekend on another server. Brand new map and server put up in the past 3 weeks. There isn't anything built past about 1000 blocks from the main town. There are a dozen people on at time....and guess what??? IT LAGS LIKE A MOFO lol. 1.6 is more of the problem than what's built and where it's built I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

I think we need a greater challenge.
    - No /back
    - One or two /homes
    - More Mobs if possible
    - No mob traps
    - No free materials for others finding rare ores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

I agree with everyone before who said that "After a certain while, the server just becomes freebuild due to all the supplies accumulated". I've also said that this isn't a horribly bad thing.

Going along with if the server is reset and a new map is made, then I think something like BlandVille would work out well (shameless plug).
    If we have the spawn, and then around it a flat land with large plots (larger than the 13 x 13 I made) and it keeps expanding as people join or want more houses, it could work out well in making it a bit more survival-like. Building restrictions set outside the town so it's more of a challenge to go out and get materials then hike back.

Few other things;
    -No mob traps (farms would be okay)
    -Rewards for killing mobs by hand
    -All items lost on death
    -Can't use /home or /spawn once you're too far out -or- can't use them more than once a life
    -Map limited (obviously)

Since eventually it becomes too easy for everyone, I guess it'd be reset every now and then.

needs a delicate balance if its to be changed. one of my favourite things about minecraft is building cool stuff, whether it be a home or a mob trap or just something decorative. i also like having to mine all the material needed to do that. for me thats the only way that makes sense. is it really such a bad thing to have a survival/creative server? i dont know.

im not sure about disabling mob traps, if the argument is that people eventually accumulate too much stuff then disabling mob traps isnt gonna change that, on its own at least. u dont need anything that drops from a mob trap. so doing that imo isnt going to change anything.

i voted maybe as i dont think just changing the map wont do anything in the long term, same problem in a few months. as i see it the only reason to change the map is so towny and iconomy etc can be implemented....stable

what we need is more community based stuff, themed buildoffs maybe?
    someone comes up with a theme and then judges the efforts. the winning building stays while the rest are deleted.

re: resetting the server every now and then...what happens for people who dont play that often, they join and do a load of work to get themselves on their feet then the map is reset.

I think something like this is what we should be aiming for. This was posted to the minecraft board on reddit.

We wouldn't necessarily have to build an egyptian themed town too but a large town with stuff like a hall, temple, market,docks that kind of thing would be cool and would be a project everyone could work together on. If the towny mod is implemented and we have multiple towns we could have different themed towns.

I think these types of projects are more suited to a survival server because they're realistic and yet can satisfy that creative urge as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I pointed this out before, but the server is going to be reset at some point in the future anyway, as the games still only in beta. Plus, 1.7 is coming along and has the "adventure" system in it. I've no real idea what that entails, but it may require a new world to use it. Then again, it may be something that we don't want on the server.

In general though, I'd be in facour of starting a new world. Even though I spent ages making my own little bits and bobs on the map, I don't really mind starting over. The one thing that I'd suggest on that front though is that if that happens, we spend a week or two actually planning what is to be built before we start playing the map. Plans will change once things get started, but it would be good to have an idea of what is going on when you start off.

And, (and I know this might be controversial) but I'd also suggest that if we built a large town/city that there aren't lights all over the place so that monsters can spawn. If you look at the Egyptian map above, think of what it would be like going around somewhere that size and not knowing if it's totally safe or not. It'd make things a hell of a lot more interesting.

Towny has the 'wilderness' as area that cannot be built upon, i.e only admin approved areas can be built upon. Of course this doesnt stop you from being able to explore/mine, just hinder above ground building. More admins would be needed though. Just one of many different ideas.

The wilderness can also be assigned as a PvP area, and towns are not.

Towny has the 'wilderness' as area that cannot be built upon, i.e only admin approved areas can be built upon. Of course this doesnt stop you from being able to explore/mine, just hinder above ground building. More admins would be needed though. Just one of many different ideas.

Wouldn't that create a problem if you were exploring the wilderness and need to place blocks so you could reach somewhere? Or if theres a sand quarry for example and you need to place blocks to allow you to enter and exit.

humanji wrote: »
    And, (and I know this might be controversial) but I'd also suggest that if we built a large town/city that there aren't lights all over the place so that monsters can spawn.

dont know about you but i dont find fixing creeper damage fun, especially when its other peoples houses etc.

not a good idea imho, that'll just lead to all the noobs gettin cut down outside the gate on their way to mine somewhere. then they leave.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough, I'm just throwing around some basic ideas :) On a positive note, the server hasn't crashed in 3 days, a new record so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

dont know about you but i dont find fixing creeper damage fun, especially when its other peoples houses etc.
    Well there's not going to be much to do in the town otherwise. It'll be boring and people will want to move on and build somewhere else. It could also lead to some ways to protect the inside of the town with various traps to stop monster getting you. Any damage that happens isn't going to be catastophic and it won't take long to repair anything.

Thats one of the challenges of survival mode though. It sucks when something gets damaged but you just try and rebuild.

This may sound stupid but.. what about something similar to the wilderness in Runescape. Wasn't it just like an area at the top?
    You could safe areas where anyone can build, then the wilderness where you can be attacked by others and anything you build can be destroyed (but you wouldnt build much more than a shelter for the night)
    And you can't /home or /spawn while in it.

Just a quick idea on making it more interesting to be in towns and things but I think it'd be cool to like start of just making one of the many towns very basic as we do with the houses all having the same facade and what not but to keep it interesting really push red-stone innovation to make cool things happen in the city, maybe in the city set up a red-stone school as a demonstration and practice area, obviously redstone isn't to everyones taste but I think it'd be cool and would help teach new people the tricks to using it.

It'd be a bit like the irish gov. pushing the science courses in college to make us a smart economy :P

2:1 scale of Ireland anyone?

We make the island out of pure gritty work. We build the towns. We make borders with coloured wool. We add Towny. We claim county's. We assign ministers of the island, eg The Minister for Transport and Communication has the primary responsibility to get the rail system working. Minister of Education has a tutorial hall in Dublin for helping new users etc. Spawn will be in Dublin. 1 home each. Its up to the county claimaints to decide the rules of building/mining in their own county's.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

the ireland idea sounds cool will take a while but will be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

if we had ireland surely there'd be no snow/desert biomes

anyway just use towny and every town must have city walls/limits.
    put a minimum structure size on buildings in between towns [rural houses etc]
    also put a minimum distance between towns.

towns connected by a surface road and a monorail/el-train or subway.

also enforce rules on no single pillar towers or floating buildings/tracks. can be hard to do, but we go on the honour system and report those who dont [theres an anonymous report plugin for bukkit]

just my tuppence anyway :D

1 home each.

sounds like communism to me :D

• Advertisement

sounds like communism to me :D

When cherryghost starts asking for statues made to him in every town, then you know communism is here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I swear to god DO THE IRELAND THING!
    Also, not a fan of the PvP thing, you can guarantee someone will go into 100% prick-mode and piss everyone off. I say what we have now is good enough, uneasy neutrality FTW.

The thing about the ireland is we need to perfect the art of building ireland to look like it hasn't been built at all :D could be good craic......or we swipe the ireland section of the world map they made:P

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

Well we'd need dimensions and a sheet for everyone to work off not hard to get a map and slap a grid on top though. Markers every 20 blocks or so just to keep count would be handy. People start where they want to etc, id start on the northwest and work my way down i suppose

Tankran wrote: »
    Well we'd need dimensions and a sheet for everyone to work off not hard to get a map and slap a grid on top though. Markers every 20 blocks or so just to keep count would be handy. People start where they want to etc, id start on the northwest and work my way down i suppose
    I've already made a massive map in single player. Has 256 plots size 20 x 20. I haven't explored the map at all, just started making the main area myself.

We could use something like that.

Crow92 wrote: »
    The thing about the ireland is we need to perfect the art of building ireland to look like it hasn't been built at all :D could be good craic......or we swipe the ireland section of the world map they made:P
    This.

• Advertisement

I dont think I share the same enthusiasm for this project :P

But no, a big project is what we need.

We're not making Greece Xenon :mad:

Xenon560 wrote: »
    I dont think I share the same enthusiasm for this project :P

But no, a big project is what we need.
    How about everyone makes a replica of the area they live in?
    You have to choose somewhere to live in Ireland though

I'm not liking the "build Ireland" ideal. Just to say.

We're not making Greece Xenon :mad:
    calm down, it was clearly a joke.

• Advertisement

He was joking too;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Liking the ireland idea tbh, as long as exploring and building underground is still ok to do

What would Ireland be without explosions :pac:

I was thinking of renting a seperate server for the Ireland thing, as it needs dedicated users, whereas the current server is more of a casual affair

Just to make things easier for everyone regarding Towny, here is the default config for the plugin
    allow_outposts=true
    allow_resident_plots=true
    allow_town_spawn=true
    allow_town_spawn_travel=true
    commands_nation=/nation,/n,/nat
    commands_nation_chat=/nc
    commands_plot=/plot
    commands_resident=/resident,/r,/res,/p,/player
    commands_town=/town,/t
    commands_town_chat=/tc
    commands_towny=/towny
    commands_towny_admin=/townyadmin,/ta
    commands_world=/townyworld,/tw
    daily_backups=true
    daily_taxes=true
    database_load=flatfile
    database_save=flatfile
    day_interval=86400000
    debug_mode=false
    default_capital_postfix= City
    default_capital_prefix=Capital: 
    default_king_prefix=King 
    default_max_town_blocks=64
    default_mayor_prefix=Mayor 
    default_nation_postfix= Nation
    default_resident_perm_ally_build=false
    default_resident_perm_ally_destroy=false
    default_resident_perm_ally_itemuse=false
    default_resident_perm_ally_switch=false
    default_resident_perm_friend_build=true
    default_resident_perm_friend_destroy=true
    default_resident_perm_friend_itemuse=true
    default_resident_perm_friend_switch=true
    default_resident_perm_outsider_build=false
    default_resident_perm_outsider_destroy=false
    default_resident_perm_outsider_itemuse=false
    default_resident_perm_outsider_switch=false
    default_town_perm_ally_build=true
    default_town_perm_ally_destroy=true
    default_town_perm_ally_itemuse=true
    default_town_perm_ally_switch=true
    default_town_perm_outsider_build=false
    default_town_perm_outsider_destroy=false
    default_town_perm_outsider_itemuse=false
    default_town_perm_outsider_switch=false
    default_town_perm_resident_build=true
    default_town_perm_resident_destroy=true
    default_town_perm_resident_itemuse=true
    default_town_perm_resident_switch=true
    default_town_postfix= Town
    delete_old_residents=false
    deleted_after_time=5184000000
    dev_mode=false
    first_run=false
    flatfile_backup=zip
    force_pvp_on=false
    friendly_fire=false
    health_regen=true
    health_regen_speed=3000
    inactive_after_time=86400000
    item_use_ids=259,325,326,327
    last_run_version=0.61
    line_not_perm_to_new_nation=&6[Towny] &bOnly admins are allowed to create nations.
    line_not_perm_to_new_town=&6[Towny] &bOnly admins are allowed to create towns.
    logging=true
    max_plots_per_resident=100
    min_distance_from_town_homeblock=0
    mob_removal=true
    mob_removal_entities=Monster,WaterMob,Flying,Slime
    mob_removal_speed=5000
    modify_chat_name=true
    msg_buy_resident_plot=&6[Towny] &b%s bought %s's plot!
    msg_couldnt_pay_taxes=&6[Towny] &b%s couldn't pay taxes%s
    msg_del_nation=&6[Towny] &bThe nation %s was disbanded!
    msg_del_resident=&6[Towny] &b%s lost all his Towny data!
    msg_del_town=&6[Towny] &bThe town of %s fell into ruin!
    msg_join_nation=&6[Towny] &b%s joined the nation!
    msg_join_town=&6[Towny] &b%s joined town!
    msg_mayor_abandon=&6[Towny] &bYou would abandon your people? Choose another mayor with '/t set mayor' if your sure.
    msg_new_day=&6[Towny] &bA new day is here! Taxes and rent has been collected
    msg_new_king=&6[Towny] &b%s is now the king!
    msg_new_mayor=&6[Towny] &b%s is now the mayor!
    msg_new_nation=&6[Towny] &b%s created a new nation called %s
    msg_new_town=&6[Towny] &b%s created a new town called %s
    msg_plot_for_sale=&6[Towny] &b%s put the plot (%s) up for sale!
    msg_registration=&6[Towny] &bWelcome this is your first login.@&6[Towny] &bYou've successfully registered!@&6[Towny] &bTry the /towny command for more help.
    msg_war_eliminated=&6[Towny] &b%s was eliminated from the war.
    msg_war_forfeited=&6[Towny] &b%s forfeited.
    msg_war_join=&6[Towny] &b%s joined the fight!
    msg_war_lose_block=&6[Towny] &b(%s) belonging to %s has fallen.
    msg_war_score=&6[War] &b%s scored %d points!
    name_check_regex=^[a-zA-Z0-9]+[a-zA-Z0-9._-]*$
    name_filter_regex=[ /]
    name_remove_regex=[^a-zA-Z0-9._-]
    nation_creation_admin_only=false
    npc_prefix=[NPC]
    price_claim_townblock=25.0
    price_death=10.0
    price_death_wartime=200.0
    price_nation_neutrality=0.0
    price_nation_upkeep=100.0
    price_new_nation=1000.0
    price_new_town=250.0
    price_outpost=500.0
    price_town_spawn_travel=10.0
    price_town_upkeep=10.0
    pve_in_non_pvp_towns=true
    reset_log_on_boot=true
    save_on_load=false
    show_town_notifications=true
    switch_ids=64,69,70,71,72,77
    town_block_ratio=16
    town_block_size=16
    town_creation_admin_only=false
    town_limit=3000
    town_respawn=true
    unclaimed_plot_name=Unowned
    unclaimed_zone_build=false
    unclaimed_zone_destroy=false
    unclaimed_zone_ignore=14,15,16,21,50,56,65,66,73,74,89
    unclaimed_zone_item_use=false
    unclaimed_zone_name=Wilderness
    unclaimed_zone_switch=true
    using_essentials=true
    using_iconomy=false
    using_permissions=false
    using_questioner=false
    wartime_base_spoils=100.0
    wartime_home_block_hp=120
    wartime_min_height=60
    wartime_points_kill=1
    wartime_points_nation=100
    wartime_points_town=10
    wartime_points_townblock=1
    wartime_remove_on_monarch_death=false
    wartime_town_block_hp=60
    wartime_town_block_loss_price=100.0
    wartime_warning_delay=30

I'm contemplating renting a new server for Towny and such, and raw survival with minimum plugins on the boards.ie box

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Savage Beat

I'm contemplating renting a new server for Towny and such, and raw survival with minimum plugins on the boards.ie box

We should start something regardless, as I am finding very little peeps on this server at any one time atm. :( Maybe it's me? :eek: lol. It probably is because everyone is starting to drift to other servers IMO. I do like cherry's idea. :cool: I am willing to contribute towards the rent on this.

Just to clarify, the current world will not be lost. It will be uploaded for anyone to download and to use on their own server/single player experience. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I'm also willing to contribute towards the new server, even though I mightn't play on it as much as i'd hope, it wouldn't be right letting you pay for it all, Especially considering the amount of time and effort you've already put into it and will most likely continue to!

Nah man its grand, not looking for donations. Gonna get a 3 month server and see how it goes from there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Crow92 wrote: »
    or we swipe the ireland section of the world map they made:P

Can that be done cherry? Copy and Paste? lol that would be awesome!

It could be done aye, but as said before, its entirely up to the community to decide what they want.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement