Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie New map?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

Sure we could try it for the laugh :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Uploading the map for everyone to copy and take would be cool... I'd even be happy making it publicaly downloadable.

I've put a lot of work into Moria but it was fun and I'm happy to move on to something else. Would be a laugh to have one night of smasheysmashey!!

DeV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah one of the lads mentioned; a day of unlimited TNT and Fire to go off with a few bangs before introducing a new map :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'll seed all of my place with TNT and blow a hole clear down to bedrock hahahah

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

DeVore wrote: »
    I'll seed all of my place with TNT and blow a hole clear down to bedrock hahahah

DeV.

A lot of Tnt + Server = Big crash :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So, while we haven't fully decided what the server will/will not do, lets pick out a map. If anyone has some good seed recommendations, throw them up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

http://www.minecraftseeds.info/

Some really extravagant seeds here... probably too extravagant for a multiplayer server.

From gavs post above I'm currently playing single player on this seed atm, it's really mountainous and really good overhangs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Bad idea to use a named seed that everyone knows. Then people can just look up where rare things are in single player and head straight to it in SMP.

• Advertisement

Really good point, I never thought of that

Ok so, a random map, but everyone joins on launch night and we decide on the spawn point? (totally reminds me of Civilization games)

Any timeframe on when we will begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

i think Friday night, we blow our server up, then Saturday night, new map :)

boo :( ill be away

Ok so, a random map, but everyone joins on launch night and we decide on the spawn point? (totally reminds me of Civilization games)

Also, I think we should go with a cool seed, but cherry picks one and doesnt tell anyone else?

• Advertisement

Probably not Friday night, more of a Saturday/Sunday night job. Friday is private test on the plugins. I'm PM'ing some users later this week that have been here since the start if they're interested in modding the server, so they'll be in on Friday testing the plugins to make sure there is absolutely nothing that can be haxored

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

it seems my pm has been lost in the internet could you send it again pls

you mean........no blowing up of the current map :(

Oh there will be an explosion night, don't worry :P I'm at work til Thursday so will only be able to get the ball rolling then properly. Don't want to do a half arsed job with it.

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to this now. I feel like I'm on MW2 or BOps waiting for a new map pack :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Great idea, ill just sit here and wait patiently for my pm :P

It's like anxiously waiting for the UPS guy to arrive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is there going to be any planning ahead of time? As I mentioned before, it might be an idea to have some sort of plan of action. For example if we were to aim for something grand like the town made in the timelapse video that Tallon posted, then it should be drawn out, even loosely, so that people could see what's planned and join in.

With the current map, one of the reasons I wasn't too involved in the bigger projects was that I hadn't a clue a) what they were, and b) where they were. I only found out where the rail system was a few weeks ago, for example. No plan survives first contact and anything that's thought out will be constantly changing/evolving, but I feel that having a starting point for everyone to be involved in will help get the community spirit going from the start.

Well I propose we do something similar to what Bland did on the current server, with his city, except that its quite a bit larger. A man made canal through the middle would be awesome. And a metro system around the city would savage. I'm adding the Minecart Mania plugin which enables track to always stay rendered, which means we can run an automatic train system around the city/town. Of course the sweetest part is that we all have to work for it :pac: Once the city is built I'll put anti-mob spawn in the city. I'll also be looking to increase mobs outside of the city, and limiting everyone to only the one home.

We have to find an ideal spawn point first. That'll involve some scouting. There will be a border of 3000 initially, expanding to 5000 after a few months, depending on the rate of expansion/exploring/mining.

I'll also consider the idea of no /back as xenon suggested. Mob traps will probably be allowed, its quite hard to not stop it from happening anyway.

The ore notifications and 'gifts' will be gone.

Lastly, I'm considering 'pocketed' areas of PvP. Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think the city should have a proper town hall, cathedral/temple maybe a market to make it feel like a city rather than a load of houses grouped together. So maybe we could make them into group projects after the town is initially set up.

If iConomy is back maybe we should try and limit the amount of shops this time. Last time everyone ended up opening their own shop and it made the whole thing pointless.So maybe instead have shops for specific things like a tool shop, food shop etc.

I'd be happy to see everyone limited to one home. At least it'll encourage people to use the transport and give us an incentive to build it. I think getting rid of the back command is a good idea too.

All sounds good to me :D as for town design it shouldnt be entirely symmetrical thats just boring! Main thoroughfares and secondary roads should be kept the same size but say within certain areas plots should differ in size, some people wont want a massive 16x16 area to play with and just build a wee shack to store stuff in town for safety

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I like this rough plan.

For picking a spawn, we'll need to gather whoever joins the server at first, pick directions and spread out reporting what we find. Screen shots will help - post them back here on this (or a new thread) for review.

I would suggest we give out 10 X 10 (or even 15 X 15) for houses with maybe a few big focal points like train stations, communal shop, information centre, etc. The basic planning will very much depend on where we pick as the spawn. It doesn't all have to be flat too, a bit of a walk up a hill won't kill anyone :p

Will we have building restrictions in the town? Height, underground mining, theme/colour restrictions, etc?

A PvP Stadium might be a fun build and I'm not opposed to pockets of PvP areas, but I may not indulge in it myself - just a personal preference.

Loving all these suggestions guys.

Here are a few of my own ideas.

I think that instead of giving people the ability to set up shop in their home (like the previous map), We should build a shopping center. It could be like a large scale building with 5x5 or 10x10 units or cubicles. In that way, we can organize it quite well which will make it easier for new-comers.

In that same shopping center we could also have official shops that will be set up by the host. These would be more expensive but the supply would be unlimited (eg, able to get stacks of a colored wool rather than what people have)

I think someone mentioned it above, but I want to reinforce it. I think that large scale buildings (some with uses and others just for aesthetics) are important and will be a good way of getting people involved. Community building is the one thing that most of us mentioned was what we wanted to develop in this new map and what better way than building our own CBD.

Here is a video from Pyrao that shows what I am talking about in relation to the shopping center idea. I think that these sort of sizes of buildings are important for the communal projects....

(RUN FROM 0:35)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIlJmy1s0Z8&feature=channel_video_title

:D:D:D

That's a pretty awesome bank! Loving the courtyard too. Something like an open market in a dedicated courtyard would be cool :D

Was thinking about the chest shops alright, seems like it would work a lot better than the previous method we had.

So I guess the first step will be a location search party... Will that just be mods or everyone?

We could do that before the map goes live. Find the location, set spawn and then leave.

Some advice also. I don't know if you were at Blandville with Bland and I when we were marking out the village but the way we did it was...

We marked out all the corners of the plots and the paths with cobble. We then got people in to help us with filling in the paths etc.

We could use that same approach for the server too. I think if people know what exactly needs to be done, then they are more likely to help out. It's just like coloring in between the lines :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

like Shiminay said, doesnt have to be flat, i think it would be more interesting if it wasnt flat. not talking about big hills or mountains here, just find a nice reasonably flat place and leave the topography as is. will lead to a more believable town imo

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    So I guess the first step will be a location search party... Will that just be mods or everyone?

We could do that before the map goes live. Find the location, set spawn and then leave.

Some advice also. I don't know if you were at Blandville with Bland and I when we were marking out the village but the way we did it was...

We marked out all the corners of the plots and the paths with cobble. We then got people in to help us with filling in the paths etc.

We could use that same approach for the server too. I think if people know what exactly needs to be done, then they are more likely to help out. It's just like coloring in between the lines :P

Nah we'd be testing on a test world, it would be more interested if everyone joined in on the search for the perfect spot :P And yeah, mark out a rectangle/square with cobblestones for the area of the city/town. I agree with a non flat land too btw.

Also, I bags digging the trench for our man made canal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I bags filling it with lava while you're digging! :P

humanji wrote: »
    I bags filling it with lava while you're digging! :P

Then I'll come along with the water to fill it back in with cobble :P

No wonder the construction industry is dire here, arsing about with quick set cement :pac:

quick set obsidian...

Alright, if we're going with something along the lines of BlandVille, then I'll throw my thoughts about it here :P

For plot size on the new map, I'd say 15 x 15 would be grand. Any smaller and it might seem a bit claustrophobic.
    Will we have building restrictions in the town? Height, underground mining, theme/colour restrictions, etc?
    I say, so long as you don't go into someone elses plot (above or below ground) then it's okay. If you both want to link up your houses however, then go ahead :)
    For mining, that'd be fine too, but if someone decides to build their house downwards and you run into it, then obviously you can't drill through their place.
    Height would be fine both above and below ground, and as for a theme that depends on if we choose one or not.

I did this in single player a while ago, and it's basically what I thought would be a "town blank" (only supersized). Not saying that that's how the server should play out, but it's a lot easier to get what I'm trying to say across if you can see what I mean :P

I did this in single player a while ago, and it's basically what I thought would be a "town blank" (only supersized). Not saying that that's how the server should play out, but it's a lot easier to get what I'm trying to say across if you can see what I mean :P

I like it but I'm not sure about having the spawn in the center of the town...

I kinda like it outside the town walls.

serverg.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We're not americans! I'd like it less grid based, and sloped at one end mebbe :pac:

• Advertisement

We're not americans!

Teehee! Well all except for one!

I think, that yeah spawn outside the town would be great.

Also, completely flat land would be boring, its more interesting having different elevations in the town.

For the spawn, I think a great spot (if we can find one) would be by the sea, like some peninsula, with a hill behind for the town to go.

Spawn in a deep cave would be something different :P

Yh, but who doesn't love the seaside :)

Also, for the PVP, I think instead of small spots here and there, it should be one biggish spot near on of the edges.

I think I'll do random spots here and there, you won't know where they are until you walk into the area ;)

To become part of the town you must first prove yourself by running through the "Field of Fiends" then you must leap casms of Lava and finally you must jump from the highest point in the game to a 2x2x2 bit of water, then you can join the town :P

Could it be possible to disable sleeping making your bed the new spawn? think it'd be better like that.......(I'm unsure if this is already in effect though)

Also really agree with no/back, maybe more mobs aswell?

when you say 1 home do you mean building in the house or 1 /home command?

• Advertisement

The map I threw up was just a super sized example of how the individual-plot layout thing would work.

Also, how about a completely underground town as the main? Based at Y=6 and going up from there.

The map I threw up was just a super sized example of how the individual-plot layout thing would work.

Also, how about a completely underground town as the main? Based at Y=6 and going up from there.

That'd be such a mighty task I probably wouldn't consider :pac:

Seriously, it requires a lot of work, and no matter how pretty you could try make the city, it'll always be a dull wash of grey... Ewww!

How about this, we basically get everyone who wants to be white listed in a raffle, we make about 4 or 5 groups, each group will be randomly placed a town type to build, ie. one underground city, one city in the sky, only in the sea, one in the woods, one on a mountainside ect. ect. we could then implement towny to have some good old competition between the cities for the best type of cities and towns.

On specific special event nights we can have big pvp areas, possibly leaving the towns open to being attacked and taken over by others.

The last part could be ommited if it didn't interest people but I think different towns instead of one is better.

That'd just break up the community. I say everyone build in one mega city, then expand on suburban towns scattered throughout afterwards. The towns can't have shops but they provide protection. That way there will always be a reason to go back to this mega city :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I think a massive dock area would be good. Hook the canal up to it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement