Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie New map?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

if someone builds a new home in another town they should forfeit their first home in the main town, make space for newcommers and maybe stop the town from becomming deserted. main town is only place with mob protection. i also think a grid arangement is easiest but can get boring, need to mix it up a bit, have landmarks around the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The map I threw up was just a super sized example of how the individual-plot layout thing would work.

Also, how about a completely underground town as the main? Based at Y=6 and going up from there.

Speaking from experience it's a lot harder than it sounds. Took me about 3 weeks to clear a big enough area for a town. Never again.

I think we should try and avoid building a new town until we have a big enough population on the server. Maybe when we get to 20-30+ start a new one.

Itherwise we might just end up with loads of people going off and founding their own towns.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Itherwise we might just end up with loads of people going off and founding their own towns.

I think that will happen if we DON'T build a new town :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I think we should try and avoid building a new town .

Agreed... We need to set up a home base first. Keep the expansion limited for quite a while.

I think that will happen if we DON'T build a new town :pac:

Whoops i meant building a second town.:p We should focus on the first town for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Just going to make a small point here: The main reason I left the main spawn town on the old server is because due to all the buildings there, I had a really crappy FPS and slight lag increase.
    You should allow people to go off to a reasonable distance and let them live there if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Why not have an underground town pre-built at spawn, with small apartments (think fallout vault).

There'd be a shop for basic supplies at high price and no building would be allowed in a 150x150 area around the above ground entrance. Just spawn, grab an apartment with a chest, then go wandering.

Let people build big towns as their own community projects, but keep spawn basic, Spartan and unbuildable. In other words, make the spawn area livable but boring enough that people won't spend all their time on town houses.

Also no building or mining within 150 blocks of the spawn on any level.

A metro system can be designed in advance but only added later once enough people have built their homes.

It would give noobs that 'Bethesda' feeling at the start of Fallout / Oblivion where you leave spawn and find the wilderness sprawling in front of you, maybe with houses in the distance.

The spawn vault entrance could be just another cave entrance in the middle of nowhere.

Or what about using the gargamel seed with that giant enclosed donut mountain at the start, with spawn town built into the walls? Yet again with small box apartments designed as secondary homes, and shops at ground level.

hare05 wrote: »
    Why not have an underground town pre-built at spawn, with small apartments (think fallout vault).

There'd be a shop for basic supplies at high price and no building would be allowed in a 150x150 area around the above ground entrance. Just spawn, grab an apartment with a chest, then go wandering.

Let people build big towns as their own community projects, but keep spawn basic, Spartan and unbuildable. In other words, make the spawn area livable but boring enough that people won't spend all their time on town houses.

Also no building or mining within 150 blocks of the spawn on any level.

A metro system can be designed in advance but only added later once enough people have built their homes.

It would give noobs that 'Bethesda' feeling at the start of Fallout / Oblivion where you leave spawn and find the wilderness sprawling in front of you, maybe with houses in the distance.

The spawn vault entrance could be just another cave entrance in the middle of nowhere.

Or what about using the gargamel seed with that giant enclosed donut mountain at the start, with spawn town built into the walls? Yet again with small box apartments designed as secondary homes, and shops at ground level.

Good idea but I think that it should be the other way around if we are going to do that. I kinda like the idea of outposts, like what you described. Small lots 5x5 in an apartment style out in the open for those who want a save point when they are wandering.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Good idea but I think that it should be the other way around if we are going to do that. I kinda like the idea of outposts, like what you described. Small lots 5x5 in an apartment style out in the open for those who want a save point when they are wandering.

I just find the idea of plots restricting. A basic apartment built in a specific style (Lord of the Rings' Rivendell or Fallout's Vault, for instance) would give noobs a nice entrance to the server, would provide a well designed and structured meeting area for groups to gather, and would avoid the clutter of the current town.

The reason I mention the no-build zone around it is to ensure the town could grow in modular stages to accommodate new players and metro systems could be implemented without ruining another's work.

Take the noobtown attempt at a Dart and Metro as an example of how things don't work.

We could have a freebuild day to design and flesh out the spawn town, and then remove build rights to the town area and stick to pure survival outside. Other towns could crop up wherever needed and in whatever style, but I think a well built modular designed and themed spawn town would set a precedent for all builds that come after it.

I mention a wilderness zone around the town entrance to ensure people don't start using it as a fallback point when mining (Set /home in the mine, mine stuff, hit /spawn when the creepers attack) because even if you get your stuff back to the single spawn chest allocated to you, you still have to walk it through a wilderness back to your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

We could have a freebuild day to design and flesh out the spawn town, and then remove build rights to the town area and stick to pure survival outside. Other towns could crop up wherever needed and in whatever style, but I think a well built modular designed and themed spawn town would set a precedent for all builds that come after it.
    Bad idea. The whole point of a survival server is that you work for what you get. If people could just freebuild, even for a day it'd ruin it.

Bad idea. The whole point of a survival server is that you work for what you get. If people could just freebuild, even for a day it'd ruin it.

I meant it more as a 'pre-release' day. Get a few of the veterans on to plan a fully functional spawn area with small basic apartments, metro system and a theme.

Basically by the time the server opens to all players, said area has been built, and the emphasis is for those players to spread out and build their homes / projects / mines elsewhere. So we won't end up with spawn area full of cluttered and unfinished building attempts, but rather a clean aesthetic. The reason I mention freebuild for the spawn town is so it won't look like a grey slab was carved out. The spawn area could have a nice colorful theme and at the same time be completely griefer proof.

What I'm saying is rather than make the spawn itself a community affair, leave it in the hands of people who know what they're doing, and give noobs something really impressive to look at for the few minutes before they start survival.

Once they leave the wilderness zone around spawn, they can build whatever they want, and the spawn won't get cluttered with unfinished buildings. Also I doubt griefers would bother with the effort of wrecking the place if spawn is ungriefable.

Once a few weeks have passed, we could open the wilderness zone around the spawn entrance to building and make a proper town on it with the resources we've gathered. This time a community affair, with the spawn bunker underneath.

I meant it more as a 'pre-release' day. Get a few of the veterans on to plan a fully functional spawn area with small basic apartments, metro system and a theme.

That is going to happen, I think. Ops will be brought on to check out the map before it goes live. Not entirely sure yet. You know as much as I do.

That is going to happen, I think. Ops will be brought on to check out the map before it goes live. Not entirely sure yet. You know as much as I do.
    The op's will mainly be brought on to make sure everything is lag-free, the plugins are working accordingly, commands are given the right permissions... And so on.

If anything, it could end up like we did originally. Have a very basic spawning area set up with mobs unable to do damage in, and then a perimeter set up for a town nearby.

I know they'll be choosing a spawn area, but I think building would still be up to anyone. I think we should make a themed area for people to walk through before they're released into the wild of MC. Nothing too big, but with enough of a buffer around it that you still get that 'wilderness' feeling as you reach the exit.

I remember running a small server for my college friends where I build a 3000 block long railway and prevented building near the spawn. People migrated along the line and made some really nice stuff.

I know they'll be choosing a spawn area, but I think building would still be up to anyone. I think we should make a themed area for people to walk through before they're released into the wild of MC. Nothing too big, but with enough of a buffer around it that you still get that 'wilderness' feeling as you reach the exit.

I remember running a small server for my college friends where I build a 3000 block long railway and prevented building near the spawn. People migrated along the line and made some really nice stuff.

Yea I understand. I think that is something that should be looked at. It would be a good idea if a set amount of people are brought in to set up the basic elements of the server like layout of the plots, paths and spawn area.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

Canals, non-grid streets, docks, built on the seaside. reminds me of this. :D

Kromdar wrote: »

What can we say? Vikings did some awesome sh*t in their time.

Kromdar wrote: »

We could add in Junkie NPC's that beg for a few gold ore everytime you walk past to complete the illusion.:D

• Advertisement

Hey guys can you get on the server atm?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Seems the map has died a premature death. Completely fecked :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Seems the map has died a premature death. Completely fecked :(

"It passed away peacefully late last night. In recent weeks it had become recluse and withdrawn from its friends to the point where nobody was able to access it, it is survived by its child Boards.ie 2.0"

So it seems! Can't get anything to work on it. Think its a premature death on the map itself, no errors on the logs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The map I threw up was just a super sized example of how the individual-plot layout thing would work.

Also, how about a completely underground town as the main? Based at Y=6 and going up from there.
    How about having the spawn point in the nethers? :D It'll make things interesting for noobs, plus you'll have plenty of space to build an Moria like town/city.

So it seems! Can't get anything to work on it. Think its a premature death on the map itself, no errors on the logs :(

Is this a new map or the old boards one? It was acting quite weird last night but I just presumed that it was the ddos attack that was the problem.

• Advertisement

Old one. Seems I can just go ahead and focus on 2.0 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

Its what the old map would want.

Going to need to find a new home now until Thursday :P

I guess we were right on the money with the idea of getting a new map. :P
    On another note, all that tnt that I had stocked will now be useless! :o

So will we begin testing on a temp map today then instead?

• Advertisement

Nein, probably tomorrow. At work at the mo

Going to need to find a new home now until Thursday :P

We could just go grief tallons server till then :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

VinLieger wrote: »
    We could just go grief tallons server till then :P
    GTFO :p

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

y...y...you mean no, blowing up with tnt?

Xenon560 wrote: »
    y...y...you mean no, blowing up with tnt?

No its cool tallon said we could do it on his server

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement