Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is required these days for a mortgage?

Options
  • 09-06-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I don't live in Ireland but would like to go back in 1-3 years and buy in Dublin. Just wondering what wuold be required to get a mortgage?

How much of a deposit? 25%? 35%? 50%?

How long would I need to be in regular employment (If I was to manage to get a job)?

For those who know - I may end up having to do IT contracting and while the moneys good, it is not regular employment (3/6/9 month contracts etc.), is it still possible to get a mortgage if I was employed this way (assume I have a limited company set up).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

lima wrote: »
    Hi there,

I don't live in Ireland but would like to go back in 1-3 years and buy in Dublin. Just wondering what wuold be required to get a mortgage?

How much of a deposit? 25%? 35%? 50%?

How long would I need to be in regular employment (If I was to manage to get a job)?

For those who know - I may end up having to do IT contracting and while the moneys good, it is not regular employment (3/6/9 month contracts etc.), is it still possible to get a mortgage if I was employed this way (assume I have a limited company set up).

Thanks

Four main things really.
    1- Deposit. Officially the banks are only asking for 10-12% of a deposit but in reality it should be more like 20%.
    2- Secure Employment. This could be tough for you because they seem to want people to be in a job at least 2 years prior to looking for their mortgage. Contract workers are frowned upon, particularly short term contract workers ie less than 5 year contracts.
    3- Debt free. You cannot have any previous loans, credit card debt etc hanging over you.
    4- Mortgage size. The going rate for mortgage sizes these days is 3-4 times the first earners salary plus 1 times the second earners salary.
    If its a single person I think its 3 times their salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I heard somewhere if you are looking for an apartment now you will be asked for a deposit of 25% from alot of places

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dontclickonthis

Your Soul!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

a lifetime of worry and stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Might give it a couple of years before I head back so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

1268612208809.jpg

If you havent lived in ireland for the last few years, it will lower your chances to get one.
    I dont know about the limit for non first time buyers, but for me it was 8% and i said i want to go for 8%. i got morgage approved. it depends on how big morgage you will go for too.
    they asked me and misses for 3 months of payslips. they asked how long are we working in current positions. it was 2 and 3 years.

advice: best thing to do is go to bank and have a chat, preferably with highest fella in bank, becouse he will deal with you and will try to get business. for regular bank worker, you will be just a guy. every single case is different and its very hard to advice m8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

Lima: As an IT worker myself, I know you can get self-employed mortgages but will have to show some accounts to prove it. Also, the interest rates are usually a little higher and a bigger deposit required too.

Why not do some contracting in the UK to maximise your income before returning to Ireland? That way you have a bigger deposit. Just a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

up4it wrote: »
    Lima: As an IT worker myself, I know you can get self-employed mortgages but will have to show some accounts to prove it. Also, the interest rates are usually a little higher and a bigger deposit required too.

Why not do some contracting in the UK to maximise your income before returning to Ireland? That way you have a bigger deposit. Just a thought!

That's what I'm doing, I already have a 25-30% deposit but I'm thinking the hard part is getting a bank to talk to me. That said, I'm in no hurry so I'll probably try and contract for 2-3 more years and increase my deposit size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

better to try a foreign bank or another loan company, as they are more likely to give someone in your circumstances a loan than AIB/BOI, who somewhat have their hands tied.

Advertisement