Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which C version to learn?

Options
  • 09-06-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering which C version is the best to learn? Tried google, which tells me of C#, but I've also heard of C++.NET, and not sure which one to do.

No real goal, just wish to learn C. Once upon did some basic C in Carlow IT, but at the time it made no sense to me. Hope to go through it at my own pace this time to get my head around it.

Any help would be nice. Also, have a website and space on a "dark horse" if that would be of any use for any of the C languages? Would be aiming at fecking with databases/mySQL (did a bit of this sort of thing with VB once).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Erm.... those are completely different languages.

There is only one official C. C++ is C with object oriented stuff added in. C# is a proprietary microsoft language, similar syntax but completely different effectively.

You probably don't want to learn C at all, because it's quite low-level and difficult. C# is a modern high language level more suitable for learning. C# is basically Microsoft's version of Java, they have a lot in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To be honest, for what you're talking about, forget C, C++, C#, Objective-C and pretty much all their cohorts (well. maybe not objective-C :D ).

Learn Python instead. It'll let you do what you're looking to do with less effort. Alternatively, if it's just a web application you're thinking of doing, PHP would be a reasonable choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I'd recommend you go for C#. Its the easiest to learn from all those languages mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Python doesn't contain the letter C so it can't be any good :pac:
    Python is actually very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

PHP is really easy to pickup if you want to do some database/web-dev stuff.

IF you want to learn an actual programming language - depends on what you want to do. I think C is great, but it's a little more difficult to grasp than some of the medium to higher level languages out today. I studied C++ also about 10 years back and found it intuitive.

Haven't done C# so I can't comment. If you really just want to do web-dev stuff though, just go with PHP, and drop me a message with any questions :) I'll be happy to help. Download XAMPP, so you can work off of your local system. It has Apache, MySQL, PHP and PHPMyadmin all in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Well at least with C you will understand what all the other languages are hiding from you (memory allocation, garbage collection etc).
    If you really just want to do web-dev stuff though, just go with PHP

you can also go with Microsoft. They have similar setup to XAMPP you get SQL Express, ASP.NEt, MVC etc

At the end of the day best bet is to have a project in mind, pick a language that you think you will be comfortable with and away you go.

You can always questions here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Aye pretty much. I think writing a simple blog is a handy first web-dev project. User-auth, post-management, category-management - all transferable skills to larger projects.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd agree Python is a good language to have. However having a foundation level of C would be handy, though the only instance I've come across it at work is dealing with legacy network socket code.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hrm. More or less want to learn a useful language. Something that I can learn by doing.

Stuck in a rut regarding learning Windows 7, so I need something to get me started again. Thus programming - it was something I enjoyed doing before, so wish to give it another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

dlofnep wrote: »
    I studied C++ also about 10 years back and found it intuitive.
    Speaking as someone who earns his crust with C++, can I ask what you were smoking at the time and where I can get some? :D
    C++ isn't quite as bad as Brain**** or Perl, but it gives them a run for their money, especially when someone tries to get clever with the metaprogramming :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

Sounds like you want to do web development. There are a lot of languages to choose from. They are all pretty useful.

PHP (Facebook, Flickr, Boards, Wikipedia)
    Ruby (Twitter, Groupon, YellowPages, UrbanDictionary)
    Python (Reddit)
    C# (Stackoverflow)

Each has at least one good framework to work with that will help you get started quickly. Pick one and jump in.

Advertisement