Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living on the quays

Options
  • 09-06-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just put a deposit on an apartment on George's Quay near Tara st station. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of living here or the immediate surrounding areas?

I used to get the bus from Hawkins street and noticed some dodgy characters, any places I should steer clear of?

Other than that, any decent pubs I should be aware of? Love that Kennedy's place but I believe its closed for renovation.

Anywho... cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Its a grand area, yes you'd come across a few rough types, but they leave you be really. Mulligans on Poolbeg street is your best bet for a nice boozer, also, Lunch on Lombard Street is a lovely little cafe which is pretty fab. You're central to everything & you have train stations nearby, great location IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The only thing I'd concern myself with in the area is the huge number of addicts hanging around (and dealing) on the quay, at the train station, on the bridge and opposite on Custom House Quay and Liberty Hall.

Tbh in the early part of the day its ugly as sin to see them, other than that the area should be grand - best of luck, hope your very happy with the new apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

MacTurcaills (sp?) on Townsend Street is a very good pub imo. €3.50 pints Mon-Wed (all week for students) and cheap cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MacTurcaills (sp?) on Townsend Street is a very good pub imo. €3.50 pints Mon-Wed (all week for students) and cheap cocktails.

wasn't in there in a while but they used to do very good food.imo best pub in the area is mulligans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Also O'Neills on the corner of Pearse Street is a nice little boozer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MossyK

Kennedys on Georges Quay is opening again after water damage, before Christmas. Great boozer, music, vibe etc. Definitely worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

3 posts and all about Kennedys? Sussy. Kennedys is a good boozer though, was a popular spot for Shels fans before it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The bangers and mash is good here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Sorry resurrect this thread but didn’t think it was worthwhile making another one.

I’m looking at an apartment in the Corn Exchange on Poolbeg st.

Just wondering can anyone tell me what the area is like to live it? Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

thebison wrote: »
    Sorry resurrect this thread but didn’t think it was worthwhile making another one.

I’m looking at an apartment in the Corn Exchange on Poolbeg st.

Just wondering can anyone tell me what the area is like to live it? Cheers

Its okay but take care at night,especially around pearse st,the quays,tara st train station and the area round hawkins st.

Actually its not great although its very central and lots of pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Like others have said, the only issue is the amount of addicts around. Is that centre still open on Pearse Street? On the plus side, it's a busy part of town (also big police station just around the corner) and some nice boozers nearby: Mulligans, Bowes, O'Neills. Kennedys etc).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Jayus lads. That doesn’t sound good.

To be honest, I’d usually be walking home late at night from a mates house or else coming home from a pub late enough.

Is it actually that bad?
    I knew it wouldn’t be great but it sounds terrible from what yer saying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

My main issue with it would be you'd have to look at the awful Department of Health building every day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

stovelid wrote: »
    Like others have said, the only issue is the amount of addicts around. Is that centre still open on Pearse Street? On the plus side, it's a busy part of town (also big police station just around the corner) and some nice boozers nearby: Mulligans, Bowes, O'Neills. Kennedys etc).

Its also a bit dark and lonely round that area at night..it can give the impression that its more dangerous than maybe it is..however it still can feel a bit rough.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its the city centre, so its not going to be the best but i wouldnt have a problem living there.

very central

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

thebison wrote: »
    Jayus lads. That doesn’t sound good.

To be honest, I’d usually be walking home late at night from a mates house or else coming home from a pub late enough.

Is it actually that bad?
    I knew it wouldn’t be great but it sounds terrible from what yer saying :(

Those addicts\drunks are there in the daytime, never at night. The drug clinic is on Pearse st and the quay is a handy drinking area for them as well as the alley connecting Pearse with Townsend st. Also, this area does be teaming with pedestrian traffic during the day and they(addicts\drunks) usually keep to themselves.

In all my time passing through this area at night, there does not be a single dodgy character hanging about as I suspect they got the bus home after visiting public services during the day in nearby streets. Plus the train station does be closed before you leave the pub on your trek home hence lack of dodgy people about.

The only dodgy people you'll encounter are those with too much drink on them after leaving the pubs named above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Addicts don't be out very late at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Lived in East Wall area (5 mins from the liffey) for a couple of years, despite the HUGE amount of heroin addicts hanging around the boardwalk and bus stops it was actually ok to walk about even late at night I never had a problem. Had more hassle on Parnell st,Temple bar area and O'connell st then anywhere else.

If you like peace and quiet then it's not for you.

Advertisement