Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meeting horses on the road

• 09-06-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭

I really hope this doesn't come across as another ranting post attacking those who drive tractors on the roads (it's not as I'm one of them!), but can I just remind those of you who are out and about on the roads at the moment to slow down to a crawl (or, if the road is really narrow, preferably stop) when you meet a horse on the road, especially if you're drawing a trailer behind you.

The last few days I've been out on the roads and, given that everyone down home seems to be cutting silage, it's rare that I'd not meet a tractor and trailer on the road. While most lads are really considerate and decent, and either crawl past (the really sound ones will pull up and maybe turn off the engine), there are a few lads out there who have actually just belted past me as if I wasn't there. Thankfully the horses are 'farm horses' and are used to heavy machinery in close proximity at home so don't bat an eye when they meet 'large' vehicles on the road, but the other day a young lad (20 at the most, with his mate in the cab) ignored my signals to slow down and sped past me with an empty silage trailer clattering away. What really bugged me was that he was completely oblivious of the potential problems he could have caused (the road is very narrow, where 2 cars have to slow down passing each other).

So if you happen to meet a horse on the road, please slow down. And if the rider signals you to slow down or stop, please do so - we generally don't do this for no reason!

Oh, and to the really decent JCB driver I met on the road today who not only gave me time to get into the closest gateway, but also turned off the engine and freewheeled past me really slowly - a big thank you! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

A reasonable thing to ask IMO, and a stupid thing not to do for the driver. I always slow right down when I meet horses, or any animals for that matter. After passing I'll give on coming traffic the hazard lights to alert them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Well said - Its astonishing that someone who appears to work in the "farming" sphere would show such blatent pig ignorance around an animal as nervous as a horse, thereby putting potentially many lives in danger!!:mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

convert wrote: »

but the other day a young lad (20 at the most, with his mate in the cab) ignored my signals to slow down and sped past me with an empty silage trailer clattering away. What really bugged me was that he was completely oblivious of the potential problems he could have caused (the road is very narrow, where 2 cars have to slow down passing each other).

Do you know what rig he was working with? if so ring the boss man to have a word, it's on him if anything happens and the young sounds like an accident waiting to happen.... especialy ignoring your signal to slow down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

oh was driving in the lorry the other day with a teleporter on the trailer on narrow country roads , he met a young lad flying on the wrong side of the road with a tractor and silage trailer , my husband said how he sstopped the lorry he doesnt know and reckons the driver of the tractor **** himself also:D i reckon the next time that young lad went round that bend it was considereably slower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I really hope this doesn't come across as another ranting post attacking those who drive tractors on the roads (it's not as I'm one of them!), but can I just remind those of you who are out and about on the roads at the moment to slow down to a crawl (or, if the road is really narrow, preferably stop) when you meet a horse on the road, especially if you're drawing a trailer behind you.

The last few days I've been out on the roads and, given that everyone down home seems to be cutting silage, it's rare that I'd not meet a tractor and trailer on the road. While most lads are really considerate and decent, and either crawl past (the really sound ones will pull up and maybe turn off the engine), there are a few lads out there who have actually just belted past me as if I wasn't there. Thankfully the horses are 'farm horses' and are used to heavy machinery in close proximity at home so don't bat an eye when they meet 'large' vehicles on the road, but the other day a young lad (20 at the most, with his mate in the cab) ignored my signals to slow down and sped past me with an empty silage trailer clattering away. What really bugged me was that he was completely oblivious of the potential problems he could have caused (the road is very narrow, where 2 cars have to slow down passing each other).

So if you happen to meet a horse on the road, please slow down. And if the rider signals you to slow down or stop, please do so - we generally don't do this for no reason!

Oh, and to the really decent JCB driver I met on the road today who not only gave me time to get into the closest gateway, but also turned off the engine and freewheeled past me really slowly - a big thank you! :D

Knowing that these few weeks are peak, tractor traffic times on the roads, with ever and ever wider gear being towed behind, would you not consider it prudent to keep the horses land locked, till things settle down a bit.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

What really bugged me was that he was completely oblivious of the potential problems he could have caused (the road is very narrow, where 2 cars have to slow down passing each other).

If I were the tractor driver I would be saying the exact same thing, I would think bringing a horse out onto "a very narrow road, where 2 cars have to slow down passing each other" and where there is obviously tractors drawing silage is asking for trouble, regardless of who is driving or riding.

Further to my point above, I fail to see how an 8 Ton JCB freewheeling down the road with the engine switched off can in any way be considered safer than a tractor with empty silage trailer being driven down the road - albeit by a 16 yr old twit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

And to balance the discussion.
    If you own a horse and he/she aint bombproof on the public road, try and stick to the quiter places where the likelyhood of an accident is much less. Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Apologies Tora Bora, Only seeing your post now! Another senior moment on my behalf!

I really do hope the OP, (moderator over in the horsey forum), never fails to put a nappy on the horse before going walkabout on the public highways. Nothing annoys me more than getting horse****e on my shiney new tractor.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Knowing that these few weeks are peak, tractor traffic times on the roads, with ever and ever wider gear being towed behind, would you not consider it prudent to keep the horses land locked, till things settle down a bit.;)
    Milton09 wrote: »
    If I were the tractor driver I would be saying the exact same thing, I would think bringing a horse out onto "a very narrow road, where 2 cars have to slow down passing each other" and where there is obviously tractors drawing silage is asking for trouble, regardless of who is driving or riding.

This is exactly what I didn't want this thread descending into. If I wanted, I could rant about the ignorant tactor drivers who drive in convoy, without leaving sufficient room for traffic to overtake them one by one, on the main roads during rush hour. I could argue that the 'ever wider and wider gear' should be banned from small country roads where they take up more than two-thirds of the road width. Further to that, it's possible to rant about the farmers who drive cattle and sheep along the roads, or those who allow their cattle to cross the roads from blind gateways, hidden by hedgerow which hasn't been cut in years and years, with nobody there to warn oncoming motorists.

Then I could give out about the groups of cyclists who appear on our road randomly and take up the entire width of the road, forcing all other road users to get out of their way (even in my gateway I got dirty looks for actually disturbing them during their break because I expected them to move from the middle of the gateway so I could exit my property!). I could give out about the yummy mummys who walk on the road, also taking it over and forcing traffic to almost pull into the ditch while they continue to walk three abreast completely oblivious to traffic and not even saluting those who take evasive action (or actually, come to think about it, anybody at all).

But going down that route doesn't get us anywhere. Roads are for everyone, and once we all use them with commen sense and due consideration for the other road users, everything should run as smoothly as is possible.

Oh, and Tora, if I should keep my horses 'land locked' until 'things settle down a bit', I should probably keep my car (with me in it) off the road, too. There's far too many times I've nearly been driven over by the same youngsters who haven't, as of yet, learned how to drive tractors and trailers properly on narrow public roads. ;)

However, I do live in hope that perhaps at least one of them is reading this thread, and if the message reaches at least one person, then the roads may be just that little bit safer (and go someway to stopping farmers getting a bad name on roads when driving heavy machinery). :cool:

Roads are for everyone, and once we all use them with commen sense and due consideration for the other road users, everything should run as smoothly as is possible

Agreed. However commen I]sic[/I sense ain't that common!

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    Agreed. However commen I]sic[/I sense ain't that common!

That'll learn me to post when half asleep! :o

I knew it. The OP, in this case is trolling. Ban him I say.:D

That'll learn me to post when half asleep! :o

There but for the grace of God/someone go I! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

This is exactly what I didn't want this thread descending into. If I wanted, I could rant about the ignorant tactor drivers who drive in convoy, without leaving sufficient room for traffic to overtake them one by one, on the main roads during rush hour. I could argue that the 'ever wider and wider gear' should be banned from small country roads where they take up more than two-thirds of the road width. Further to that, it's possible to rant about the farmers who drive cattle and sheep along the roads, or those who allow their cattle to cross the roads from blind gateways, hidden by hedgerow which hasn't been cut in years and years, with nobody there to warn oncoming motorists.

Then I could give out about the groups of cyclists who appear on our road randomly and take up the entire width of the road, forcing all other road users to get out of their way (even in my gateway I got dirty looks for actually disturbing them during their break because I expected them to move from the middle of the gateway so I could exit my property!). I could give out about the yummy mummys who walk on the road, also taking it over and forcing traffic to almost pull into the ditch while they continue to walk three abreast completely oblivious to traffic and not even saluting those who take evasive action (or actually, come to think about it, anybody at all).

But going down that route doesn't get us anywhere. Roads are for everyone, and once we all use them with commen sense and due consideration for the other road users, everything should run as smoothly as is possible.

Oh, and Tora, if I should keep my horses 'land locked' until 'things settle down a bit', I should probably keep my car (with me in it) off the road, too. There's far too many times I've nearly been driven over by the same youngsters who haven't, as of yet, learned how to drive tractors and trailers properly on narrow public roads. ;)

However, I do live in hope that perhaps at least one of them is reading this thread, and if the message reaches at least one person, then the roads may be just that little bit safer (and go someway to stopping farmers getting a bad name on roads when driving heavy machinery). :cool:

I could have sworn I saw a second convert post after this one - Oh ! to be mod.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SunnyLucy

While I agree with alot of what was said in the original post can I also say that sometimes I come across trainers/jockeys on the road who seem to have little or no regard for the safety of the horse or other road users.
    I live near the a racecourse and meet thoroughbred horses most mornings either en route to, or returning from, training, and while the majority of the handlers are very polite and safety aware there are a few who just couldnt care less. They come around bends on narrow country roads with (stupid) speed limits of 80kph and are at least two abreast, which i know is permitted, but when parts of the road are so narrow that two abreast takes up the majority of the road then they really should have more cop on and move into single file. During the "boom" times it was nothing new to come across a group of 8-10 horses and jockeys spread across the road calling and jeering to each other and refusing to move in until the cars literally were upon them and had to come to a stand-still.
    It seems to me that the attitude of the jockeys varies depending on which yard they come from, some yards seem to have their jockeys trained in road safety etc, and others obviously just tell them that they are the kings of the road and to do what they please. And while I know the rules of the road are to give way to those in control of animals surely there should be an onus on the animal handler themselves to take responsibility and use the common sense they were born with! I've seen jockeys standing up on their horses backs and jump from one horse to another and back again while going along the road, Ive seen them refuse to pull in for traffic, Ive seen them hollering and shouting abuse at cars for not slowing down even though the cars couldnt go any slower. And this leads to the anger and frustration of other road users. I know its only a small number of these guys who behave this way and give the rest of them a bad name, I guess its the same with everything really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Have to say I used to take our horses on the road 5-8am in silage season, they dont cut silage that early. Generally the contractors are flat out under pressure to get the silage in and I always thought it was unfair of me to put a situation in their way where they had to slow down the process. The faster it is done the better for all concerned....well that is what I think anyway:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

ppink wrote: »
    Have to say I used to take our horses on the road 5-8am in silage season, they dont cut silage that early. Generally the contractors are flat out under pressure to get the silage in and I always thought it was unfair of me to put a situation in their way where they had to slow down the process. The faster it is done the better for all concerned....well that is what I think anyway:).

There is being efficient and prompt and then there is pure recklessness!

The public highway is not just for one set of users.

Sunnylucy your best bet is to complain to the yards in question or perhaps dropping a line to the likes of the turf club? (I don't know much about racing, is there anything like a jockey union?)

SunnyLucy wrote: »
    Ive seen them hollering and shouting abuse at cars for not slowing down even though the cars couldnt go any slower. .

Unless a car is actually stopped, then it can't go any slower... :pac:
    However, I completely understand your point. I worked in a racing yard for a while, and all but one of the lads there were completely responsible and considerate when dealing with traffic. The guy in question, who was the trainer's son, wouldn't move out of the way quick enough for traffic, and nothing we could say or do would make him do it any quicker... He was a total tool in all respects, though, but unfortunately he annoyed all other road users and gave the rest of us a bad name...

As we all need to remember, it only takes one inconsiderate idiot to f**k it up for the rest of us, regardless of the 'group' or 'category' into which we fall.
    Sunnylucy your best bet is to complain to the yards in question or perhaps dropping a line to the likes of the turf club? (I don't know much about racing, is there anything like a jockey union?)

If you've experienced difficulty with one particular yard, then I would advise you to get in contact with the trainer and just let them know what's going on in the yard. Approach it with the attitude of 'I noticed X and thought it put both riders and horses (which owners are paying for!) and thought you should be aware of the issue. And then maybe mention times are tough enough without the added worry of such behaviour'. Just make sure you're complaining to the right yard, tho!

Going to the Turf Club wouldn't really make any difference, as they don't really deal with stable staff. If, however, the behaviour continued after several complaints, then it might be worth contacting them.

ppink wrote: »
    Have to say I used to take our horses on the road 5-8am in silage season, they dont cut silage that early.

That would be the ideal situation, but given that I work late hours, it doesn't make it feasible to be on the road that early. Moreover, given that a lot of the land in the area is leased by different farmers each year, it's very difficult to know who will be drawing silage on what road when, as it varies each year, if that makes sense. Then there are the farmers who have more than one yard and randomly decide to draw silage for miles to an 'off farm' yard. The lack of pattern(s) makes it very confusing! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SunnyLucy

True enough Convert, I should have said cars would have to be stopped to be going any slower :p I've sworn to myself that I'm gona stop and ask them what yard they're from the next time I come across them acting up but whether they'll actually tell me is another story. Also its a bit intimidating as a woman on her own to be confronting a group of men but I guess I'll just have to be tough! :)

Yeah I cant imagine the Turf Club will do much, they'll prob just tell me to contact the yard responsible I guess, sure we'll see how I go anyways. Thanks!!

• Advertisement

You could always say you know someone who's looking to put a horse in training or is looking for a horse and they may be more likely to tell you that way? I dunno, it really depends on the lads in question and their attitude.

The other option is to take a look on the HRI website (goracing.ie). They have a list of all the trainers in the country, listed county by county, so if you know the townsland/area that the horses are in, it may help you to narrow down the trainer (only problem is if there's more than one trainer in the area!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I do the majority of my riding on the road, and I have to admit farmers are probably the most courteous people. Admittedly I would know all the farmers around my area, but even if they're in a rush somewhere they'll always be careful if they see me coming along :D

In my opinion (and after many years of riding out on the roads), farmers are not the group of people we should be asking to be aware of us on the road. We should be asking those who would have no knowledge or experience of livestock (and their unpredictability) to be aware of the 'dangers', as such. I have had some extremely close calls with cars (NONE of them farmers I should add) and honestly, I've been incredibly fortunate in some instances not to have been hit by careless driving and excessive speed.

I have yet to have any near misses with tractors though, and I applaud farmers for being considerate towards my horse and I :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lofty0990

you see them in the distance, you slow down even stop and they pass you by head stuck up in the air not a faintest recognition of your efforts on behalf of the animal underneath them and you mutter to yourself "
    "

Not all of them but some .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Lofty0990 wrote: »
    you see them in the distance, you slow down even stop and they pass you by head stuck up in the air not a faintest recognition of your efforts on behalf of the animal underneath them and you mutter to yourself "
    "

Not all of them but some .
    I've experienced things from the other perspective, as a driver, and I would agree with you that there are some riders who are inconsiderate themselves. They don't make an effort to pull over, and don't thank you or make any attempt to acknowledge you when you've been extremely patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

That would be the ideal situation, but given that I work late hours, it doesn't make it feasible to be on the road that early. Moreover, given that a lot of the land in the area is leased by different farmers each year, it's very difficult to know who will be drawing silage on what road when, as it varies each year, if that makes sense. Then there are the farmers who have more than one yard and randomly decide to draw silage for miles to an 'off farm' yard. The lack of pattern(s) makes it very confusing! :(
    I sympathise with your problem and agree that courtesey on the roads is a long forgotten principle by all users (including myself at times:o) but are you suggesting that farmers should register their driving intentions in advance to other road users?
    And that agricultural machinery wider than a car should be banned from country roads, as you alluded to in a previous post?

As a farmer who used to take land in previous years and having had 2 yards for silage, we used to send trailers to different yards depending on breakdowns, lunches, school times pits being filled etc. I can assure you that farmers dont 'randomly' send silage trailers around the country to find the most akward spot to annoy other road users.

The age profile of tractor drivers is young and they love speed and taking risks in general but i would say most contractors continually attempt to drum it into drivers heads to take care.

However, ALL road users need to be aware and make themselves aware of the difficulties of retaining control of animals on public roads.

IGNORANCE IS NOT A DEFENCE

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

my wife has a horse and will only bring out the horse on the road on a sunday mass time seems to be the best while joe public is in praying and in no hurry, i dread the thoughts of her even going up the road, its narrow over grown in places and very twisty,but no other way out of the farm to a bigger road personally i hate meeting anyone on a horse on the road i think things are moving at such a pace in this country theres no place for it anymore especially in non racing counties like where i'm from its not the norm to meet them when you meet one so your not prepared to deal with the situation, dont get me wrong i slow down etc but when your driving a tractor with a rattly trailer its very hard to make it quiet,
    to be honest i think your taken a big enough risk cycling / walking on some roads let alone been on something that at the end of the day has a mind of its own

5live wrote: »
    but are you suggesting that farmers should register their driving intentions in advance to other road users?

Of course not, get real. I was simply replying to a previous post, explaining my particular situation.

And that agricultural machinery wider than a car should be banned from country roads, as you alluded to in a previous post?

Again, simply replying to a previous comment. And if you re-read my post thoroughly, I also ranted about inconsiderate cyclists and yummy mummies, and that was as a driver, not a rider.
    As a farmer who used to take land in previous years and having had 2 yards for silage, we used to send trailers to different yards depending on breakdowns, lunches, school times pits being filled etc. I can assure you that farmers dont 'randomly' send silage trailers around the country to find the most akward spot to annoy other road users.

Again, if you take a closer look at my initial post, you'll notice that I'm also one of those tractor drivers, so the rest of this paragraph is a non-issue.
    The age profile of tractor drivers is young and they love speed and taking risks in general but i would say most contractors continually attempt to drum it into drivers heads to take care.

Again, by re-reading my earlier posts, you'll see that I'm simply highlighting an issue and was hoping that those here who are employing younger drivers simply remind them to take care on the roads. Afterall, the last thing a contractor/farmer wants is to have one of their tractors involved in an incident on the road.

Moreover, it's their risk taking that's driving up the high insurance costs for their age groups. Like the young male driver who passed me on the road last night doing at least 80mph. I found him in a ditch around the next bend, on a straight stretch of road.

It's up to the 'older' and more experienced drivers to advise the younger generation about their driving and remind them that they're not invincible, and that only by driving with due consideration and anticipation of the unexpected is the best means to avoid incidents on the road.
    However, ALL road users need to be aware and make themselves aware of the difficulties of retaining control of animals on public roads.

I completely agree with you. Everybody, from farmers, to riders, to dog owners needs to anticipate each situation and ensure their animals are under control.
    IGNORANCE IS NOT A DEFENCE

I can't find where I suggested that it was in my posts? I think you need to read every point in detail rather than quoting out of context.

And the same goes for all road users, not just one specific group.

I think this thread has run its course. It was simply a thread to try and highlight one particlar incident, and to remind all of us to drive with due consideration for other road users. Unfortunately it's been dragged way off topic and is descending into an argument about who should and shouldn't use the road, which was not my intention. Mods, can this thread be closed, please? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement